shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond to good to be True?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nighthawk

Rough_Rock
I found a diamond
appl.gif
, a really good deal on a diamond
love.gif

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Engagement Rings Direct. I haven''t recieved a reply via phone or email from them yet.

This is the rock I found:

Look what I found HTML

Now it looks way too good to be true, this diamond should wholesale for around $10,000. I checked the BBB on this company and they have had zero complaints, other than misrepresenting themselves as a BBB member which they stopped doing.

Comments, Opinions, and Advice are much appreciated. I am new to diamonds and spending big money like this. In risk their is reward, what do you guys think? I am going for website error, they forgot the 1 in front of the 3.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Well... It "looks" like a little bit of a script problem or a mis-interpretation of the information listed on the multiple listing for the diamond with this lot number which can be one of the primary problems with doing business this way - mirroring the multiple listing services rather than actually reviewing the information and the diamond and then manually listing the details... Here is how the diamond is advertised on Engagement Rings Direct as provided by the link you indicated:

Lot Number: 2582218
Price: $3305.62
Laboratory: GIA
Carat Weight: 1.23
Color: F (Colorless) End of color range in colorless category.
Clarity: VVS2 (Very Very Slightly Included) Same as VVS1. Only location of inclusions determine lower grade.
Shape: Round
Depth: 61.3
Table: 59.00
Polish: VG
Symmetry: VG
Culet: N
Girdle: THN-M
Fluorescence: S
Measurements: 6.89X0X0X0

And here is the description for the diamond with this lot number on the multiple listing service:

Lot Number: 2582218
Price: not disclosed intentionally.
Laboratory: GIA
Carat Weight: 1.23
Color: FNCY (see below)
Clarity: VVS2
Shape: Round
Depth: 61.3
Table: 59.00
Polish: VG
Symmetry: VG
Culet: N
Girdle: THN-M
Fluorescence: S
Measurements: 6.89X0X0X0

Okay, so on with answering your question...

"I have found a diamond, a really good deal on a diamond"

But you "think" that the diamond you have found is a GIA Graded, 1.23 carat, F color diamond with VVS-2 clarity for $3,305.62 when in fact it "really" is a fancy colored diamond of undisclosed color and intensity... So upon further review of the "facts" you haven't found the deal of the century (an $11K diamond for $3K) you've simply been misled by a lack of information, but we doubt that you were misled intentionally.

Oh by the way, the diamond cutter who is listing the diamond for sale on the multiple listing service is located in India, so give ERD a little time to obtain full information on the diamond for you
2.gif

Word to the wise... Don't buy virtual diamonds! Insist that the diamond dealer you decide to work with works with physical inventory... Make them bring the diamond in for evaluation... Make them provide you with detailed proportions analysis and clarity photographs and a scanned version of the original lab report - copies don't always represent the diamond accurately. You're spending a ton of money and you deserve to be provided with the facts pertaining to the diamond you are purchasing and proper disclosure of the characteristics... We can't even count how many times people have asked us if we're real, while in the same breath asking us about a virtual diamond listed by a virtual dealer - a dealer who sells diamonds "off paper" without "ever" seeing them... So many people are trying to be diligent in their research while completely missing the HUGE, obvious point... You can't save money buying a virtual diamond if you're getting ripped off because you're basing your decision to purchase based upon a lack of information... So many of you (all encompassing, plural "you") are so precise in everything that you do, but you allow yourself to be led like blind sheep into the land of "empty house listers" and then you find yourself whining about your bad experience here on PS when in fact the entire situation began as a recipe for disaster. We know that we're on a rant, but enough is enough people, use your brains! Play with companies and diamonds that are real. We're real and house real inventory... So do other vendors like GOG, WF and SC. They're real too... We're not alone in our committment to this industry. Does it matter whether a company is "real" and whether they appear on the BBB listing or not, when the diamonds that are being advertised are not?
eek.gif
What a surprise it would have been for this person if they had initiated a purchase with ERD for this particular diamond and then opened up the parcel paper and been staring at a fancy colored diamond when they expected an F color white diamond!
6.gif

JimDiamond

Shiny_Rock
Nighthawk,

Now aren't you glad you asked? I know enough to know that that diamond should sell for over $10,000 and that there's no way anyone is selling it for $3,000, but the last poster explained exactly what the story was.

So you're already ahead of the game by shopping on line and posting and reading in this forum.

madmarlin

Rough_Rock
I only want to add one thing on this thread. Mark at Engagement Rings Direct is truly a pleasure with whom to work. I purchased from him and would recommend him to anyone, without hesitation. If there was a problem with the information on the stone, I have no doubts that it was unintentional.

So, don't shy away from using him if you see another stone you like. He does, indeed, carry many stones of his own stock, in addition to listing those "virtual" diamonds. He'll go out of his way to make sure you are happy with your purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results