shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Suggestion

jj71787

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

My gf told me she wants a 2ct diamond. After going back and forth about price she said she's ok with everything being low (color, clarity) but she wants 2ct.

I saw a bluenile 2ct for $7k but just missed it as it was sold.

The one's one JA look really bad compared to BN.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Could you post your budget and desired specs(shape, color, clarity, setting) for the diamond. We love finding well performing diamonds for others.

jj71787

Rough_Rock
After seeing that 1 ring I was hoping for something under $8k but that doesn't look possible. So something around that price I guess.

Like she's ok with vs1 or higher and J color or higher if it's 2 ct. She prefers the round stone.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After seeing that 1 ring I was hoping for something under $8k but that doesn't look possible. So something around that price I guess.

Like she's ok with vs1 or higher and J color or higher if it's 2 ct. She prefers the round stone.

For under 8k, you are looking at SI1 or 2 and colors of K(maybe, possibly not) L, M for a 2 carat.

jj71787

Rough_Rock
Can't believe I missed that blue nile ring that was a J color. Right now their cheapest is $8600

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When she says size is more important that how the diamond looks, does she understand that she might wind up with something that looks pretty terrible?

And not to lecture, but to explain... my husband is a surgical speciality doctor and I don’t have a 2 carat diamond— coming up on 25 years of marriage...

Just pointing that out. She is obviously not me. But I am curious why it has to be 2 carats or bust.(if you care to explain because you certainly don’t have to)

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
If you find a 2 ct stone for 8k it will most likely be poorly cut and will face up smaller (appear smaller) than a well cut 2 ct stone. Either increase your budget or decrease size. Cut is king if you want a diamond that is bright and sparkles.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When she says size is more important that how the diamond looks, does she understand that she might wind up with something that looks pretty terrible?

And not to lecture, but to explain... my husband is a surgical speciality doctor and I don’t have a 2 carat diamond— coming up on 25 years of marriage...

Just pointing that out. She is obviously not me. But I am curious why it has to be 2 carats or bust.(if you care to explain because you certainly don’t have to)

Exactly. My husband is a dentist in Manhattan and on Long Island. We have a city apartment and beach house. My ring is under 2cts....and I have no intention of upgrading. The 1.90 you found looks like a fabulous option.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I quite like this one actually. Do you think it’d be eye clean?
HCA score of 2 seems pretty good

Probably or oh well it hits the size mark, 8 mm and is decently cut. And it’s $7400 so.... he could be done here IF she understands she is gettting a color M diamond. I have that M colored emerald with faint Fluor and I think it is totally fine if she understands and is ok with it.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exactly. My husband is a dentist in Manhattan and on Long Island. We have a city apartment and beach house. My ring is under 2cts....and I have no intention of upgrading. The 1.90 you found looks like a fabulous option.

Right, I have two houses as well. City and country houses. My asscher is 1.52 carats, which faces up more like a 1 carat round.

To me, 2 carats is HUGE. I think the most I would be comfortable with is 1.3 to 1.4 carats round.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wine taste on a beer budget means lots of frustration in your future.

FWIW I'd have a serious conversation with your SO and determine why its 2ct or bust. Do you have the cash and just being squeaky cheeks or is it just a genuine financial strain right now to reach the carats of her dreams?

You dont have to answer those questions here, but it's a real conversation you need to have with her. Today it's a 2 carat rock and tomorrow it's a fancy car and big house you can't afford. Finding a reasonable compromise that fits your budget constraints and allows you to maintain a financially stable environment should be your common goal in all things rather it's a ring, car, house, etc.

You are committing your life and want a partner that understands and supports you in all things. Maybe that means buying a smaller stone now that has a killer cut and upgrade program so you can easily upgrade as your financial situation flourishes.

Just my 2 cents, not that you asked. :cool2:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You guys need to have discussion about her desires and expectations and your finances. I would like a 2 carat diamond too, but not a $7000 2ct diamond. Because I know that wouldn’t meet my expectations for clarity if I stuck with a well cut stone.

For $7k I’d rather have a killer cut I, J, K, SI diamond from somewhere with a great upgrade policy (WF, CBI) (in a halo even, if it has to be big) than an 8 mm asteroid.

But I’m me and I know what $7k will get you. Perhaps she doesn’t know tha, or perhaps she doesn't know your budget.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's possible that your GF hasn't seen well cut diamonds and how well they perform IRL. To me, 2ct isn't necessary by any means, especially if you get an excellently cut stone with a great upgrade policy. 2ct isn't going to be easy in that budget, and will be downright impossible if she wants high color. In an L/M/N color it *might* be possible, but would still be a challenge.

If you can't comfortably afford what she wants now, the most reasonable option to satisfy everyone is to get something slightly smaller that's really well cut AND/OR something smaller with a great upgrade policy so you can upgrade it when finances are more flexible.

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
are you sure she wants round? OVAL DIAMONDS face up larger (look bigger than ct weight) and are cheaper (round are the most expensive shape)

perhaps you could clarify on your budget? did you just see a 2ct for 8000 and now want to find the same again? or would something like 10000$ be okay?

anyways here are a couple of ovals just as an idea

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-search?pt=setform&track=NavDiaSeaOV

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...k-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-4719427

also possible that , in the nicest possible way, she is ignorant about diamonds and prices and variations in quality...If this is the case then some kind education may help her find something she is happier with even if it it 1mm or so smaller. she may not realise that $8000 for 2cts ,may give her a stone thats not so pretty..

Last edited:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably or oh well it hits the size mark, 8 mm and is decently cut. And it’s $7400 so.... he could be done here IF she understands she is gettting a color M diamond. I have that M colored emerald with faint Fluor and I think it is totally fine if she understands and is ok with it.

I’ve actually been thinking of getting a 2ct round for a setting I love. And wanted a lower color after seeing some gorgeous m and lower rounds. I already have a high color ideal cuts in my 5 stone, pendant, and bangle and I rather like the idea of a well cut M color. Do you think this one would measure up to my AGS0 diamonds cut wise?

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
would he be okay with preloved? or a lab diamond ? they are cheaper

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If your GF won't compromise on size and you can't convince her to budge on it (which obviously I think is a problem, but just in case), would she consider something pre-loved? There are 2 items on LT being sold/consigned that would look huge and be close to budget.

First one is old cut diamonds, but 3ct weight total, which obviously is more than 2 carats.

https://loupetroop.com/listings/rings-natural-diamond-center/3-dot-00ctw-oec-cluster-ring

This one is under 8K with a large face-up stone plus halo, so I feel like on the hand it would be a lot of ring for the money
https://loupetroop.com/listings/rin...ter/stunning-1920-s-old-mine-cut-diamond-ring

Junc80

Rough_Rock
If hitting the carat weight is important and you don't have PS cut standards, i am guessing this can work though it's more than 8k. A 2.13 carat J SI2 What's important is different for each individual no?

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...j-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-5917228

I think you can get $100 off your first james allen purchase OR you can ask for PS discount from James Allen. I am guessing they probably have a black Friday discounts too?

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If hitting the carat weight is important and you don't have PS cut standards, i am guessing this can work though it's more than 8k. A 2.13 carat J SI2 What's important is different for each individual no?

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...j-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-5917228

I think you can get $100 off your first james allen purchase OR you can ask for PS discount from James Allen. I am guessing they probably have a black Friday discounts too?

I would strongly suggest avoiding stones that arent GIA/AGS certified. With other labs you don't know what you are getting because the cut grading is so loose.

Junc80

Rough_Rock
I can understand color and clarity being loose, is cut loose too though they give you the proportions? Can james Allen comment on true color before buying?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can understand color and clarity being loose, is cut loose too though they give you the proportions? Can james Allen comment on true color before buying?

Color and clarity aren't to the same standards, and I'm not sure about how they round numbers for crown/pav angles, etc. And JA often drop ships, so they usually can't comment on specific stones

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laboratory-Grown Diamonds may be an option if size on a budget is required.

We cannot discuss them in detail in this section of the forum but click on the 'Lab Grown Diamonds' link at the top of the forum to get to the appropriate section.

Rhino on this forum has just listed some AGS000 MMDs as part of his new offerings - it could be worth contacting him to see if he is able to source something within the budget:
https://www.augustvintageinc.com/collections/laboratory-grown-diamonds

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

How about these?

https://www.pricescope.com/diamonds/round/2_17-carat-n-color-vvs1-clarity-6861551#
GIA XXX, 58 table could be smaller but is still within PS-recommended range, high crown and HCA score of 1.9 (FIC) so should have decent fire. VVS1 will be eye-clean to all but Superman. N is buttery-warm from the side but great cut means it looks white from the face-up position.

https://www.pricescope.com/diamonds/round/2_24-carat-m-color-vs2-clarity-6895592#
GIA XXX, high crown and HCA score of 1.9 (FIC) so should have decent fire. VS2 looks like it could be eye-clean, going from the GIA grading report inclusions plot, but need to request pictures/video to confirm. M should be buttery-warm from the side but look white from the face-up position.

https://www.pricescope.com/diamonds/round/2_08-carat-o-color-vs1-clarity-5982366#
GIA XXX, smaller table but lower crown so potentially more balanced in terms of coloured fire and white light return, inclusions look to all be under the crown facets and none in the table so should be eye-clean. Might be too tinted - would need personal inspection to assess personal taste/preference/tolerance for colour.

https://www.pricescope.com/diamonds/round/2_14-carat-o-color-if-clarity-5982881#
https://narolagems.com/Rapdetail.aspx?StoneId=3659-2
GIA XXX, HCA 2.6 so a touch deep, but high crown and small table should make it very fiery. Completely eye-clean at IF, and the original comments include "Shade: NO BROWN , NO GREEN , NO MILKY" so it should hopefully be a nice warm colour.

There are a few more options in the PS search engine:
https://www.pricescope.com/diamonds/search?vendor=-1&branded=None&inhouse=-1&shape=1&minprice=1&maxprice=9000&mincarat=2&maxcarat=4&mindepth=60&maxdepth=62.4&mintable=52&maxtable=59&mincut=1&maxcut=2&mincolor=4&maxcolor=23&minclarity=3&maxclarity=11&minsymmetry=1&maxsymmetry=3&minpolish=1&maxpolish=3&min_cut_gia=1&max_cut_gia=6&min_cut_ags=1&max_cut_ags=7&minflourescence=1&maxflourescence=6&checkbox_panel1=,03&checkbox_panel2=&sort=&page=1&pageview=24&adv=true&days=100&cert_number=

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results