shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond studs?

Saphira2021

Rough_Rock
I would appreciate some idea on what to do next. Here is the story.

I have wanted a pair of nice diamond studs for over a decade. Never thought I could spend this kind of money, but last year we decided to go ahead. So about this time last year, I ordered a pair of diamond studs from diamondstuds4less (in Texas). It was a huge mistake. When I received the studs, I did not like them and sent them back immediately. The company (a couple of guys really) kept my money and the studs. I placed this purchase in dispute with the cc company. cc company took his word as he told them that I was going to purchase so don't return the money etc. it's a good thing I had done all by email and had proof that he was lying. 5 month later I got back my $4500.

This year we decided to try again. Use reputable dealer, etc, etc. I read about what was good/not good and got plenty of additional education here and decided to buy from Blue Nile. I mean quite a reputable site. Right? Wrong. I placed my order last Sunday. Called Amex and told them to expect a large purchase from Blue Nile. Monday I get notice from Amex that there was a charge on my account from Blue Nile. So far so good. Then I get a call from rep at Blue Nile asking my full first name which I did not provide, I provide. The rep goes away for a minute then comes back on the line and says that the company had a policy change and no longer accepts credit cards! What? Well, this is a business decision and we no longer accept them. Wire only. I told him I would think about it.

I called again later, didn't tell them who I was and asked what kinds of payment they accepted on a $10k purchase. "Credit cards of course". So I asked to talk to a supervisor. Told him who I was and about my purchase. He tells me that well, sometimes we tell that to the customers. FTH? I asked him straight out, so you lie to your customers? "Well, it is a business decision and it is to protect you". Protect me from what? Making a purchase from them? He will forward to another supervisor who is going to call me back. Still waiting on that one. There is not a prayer in the world I would do this kind of transaction without the protection of Amex.

I called Amex and they told me that Blue Nile reversed the charge. Ok, so they don't want my money, or at least not from my cc. I will never understand the logic of this one.

I called B2C Jewels after a search here for the diamonds. Got a rep who talked to me, put me on hold and did not come back for 20 minutes, at which point I hung up.

Last night I called BGD and talked to Leslie. Did not tell her any of the above, just asked to find me a matching pair. Gave her cert numbers from the 2 diamonds at Blue Nile. She looked up one and said it was very shallow. Not sure what that means. She promised to call me back, but nothing so far.

And of course this is very upsetting. This was supposed to be my Mother's day present. And I was supposed to enjoy the experience. Instead, this only produced anxiety and upset. I am beginning to think that maybe this is a sign that I shouldn't buy them at all. Don’t believe in signs but this is too much of a coincidence. Maybe I should just buy a nice pair of created diamond studs and be done with it?

So what do you think? Give up? Buy? Where? Not precisely the perfect forum to ask this, but who else would understand?

I was looking for .9ea/1.8tcw F SI1, ideal cut, no fluorescence in platinum martini-like 4 prong setting, and was hoping to come in within $10k.

Thanks for your input and sorry for the long post

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd stick with BGD. Email or call again. If you just called last night, it hasn't even been a full 24 hours yet.

Mili-Lani

Rough_Rock
Trade
Aww I'm sorry for your experience!

I'm currently working on a project and am talking to someone at BGD...I have bought one (small item) from Blue Nile and haven't had any problems...but i have bought many things from GOG, WF and BGD and these guys are reputable...that's why I turn to them first when I have a potential project in the works.

I would say just be patient. However I don't think you will have your items by this Sunday as BGD quoted me it takes around 2 weeks. WF was a little longer.

Also if you're doing the 4 prong martinis (Which I have and love!!) they might take a little longer depending on if you're doing it custom or the in stock settings they have.

Good luck and post pics when ready =)

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Give Leslie a chance, she is wonderful to deal with. Bought studs for my daughter from her, excellent experience. Don't lose hope.
They are probably very busy right now due to Mother's Day.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a busy time of year and they've got a sales promotion going on now--I would send Lesley at BGD an email and see what she has come up with. O/w, any of the other sales associates will be able to help you and BGD has a diamond pairs search on their website.

Here's a few examples:

Slightly smaller but both under your budget:
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond_pair_comparisions/compared_diamond_details/AGS-104054189061/CAGS-104064296042
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond_pair_comparisions/compared_diamond_details/AGS-104054189019/CAGS-104064296046

Meets size requirements but more expensive and G color:
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond_pair_comparisions/compared_diamond_details/AGS-104064191010/AGS-104064191011

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
I have studs from BGD and they are lovely.

My curiosity is in why you are trying to force them to search for you in virtual inventory? (Or are you???)

You'll get the best benefits from somewhere like BGD or WHiteflash or GOG if you choose their in house branded stones. Those will be better cut than many of the generic things in virtual lists, and you'll get the benefit of a good upgrade policy, which you generally WON'T get if you buy a stone from the virtual lists (ie- stones not from their in house cuts are often NOT applicable to an upgrade policy). Just something you might want to consider.

I'd go with BGD, search through their in-house pairs for stones in your budget. You'll be assured of great performers and won't have to worry about getting a dud, and you'll have an upgrade policy in place should you ever want to use it. Just my .02.

Saphira2021

Rough_Rock
thank you all for your answers!

writing this post helped me figure out some things. i have cancelled Blue Nile order. i don't need an ordeal when getting something i want.

as suggested, i will send Leslie an email and wait for her response. i will let her know i will wait until after mom's day and hope they honor the 10% discount for second in a pair as they have now. I have waited a very long time, a few weeks won't make a difference.
it is just hard to swallow when i was already expecting the earrings to be here Saturday.

I was not aware that i was making them search a virtual inventory, i thought that 99% of their inventory was virtual. but when i looked on the site, they don't have exactly what i want. not one pair even close in size and quality. i am willing to forgo the upgrade feature since there will be no upgrade. this is it.

what is GOG? Searched the Whiteflash and came up with no matches.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I waited a long time for my studs as well and even though there for Valentine's day I got them the second week in March and now I don't even remember. Good things happen to those who wait and you know what sometimes there is a reason for all this aggrevation your perfect pair of studs are out there. I love my martini setting, (after having baskets for so long) I do have to take them out every night so they don't stretch my lobes.

I agree with everyone else speak to leslie ,,also WF is amazing and has great tradeup policy

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Saphira2021|1367950936|3442115 said:
thank you all for your answers!

writing this post helped me figure out some things. i have cancelled Blue Nile order. i don't need an ordeal when getting something i want.

as suggested, i will send Leslie an email and wait for her response. i will let her know i will wait until after mom's day and hope they honor the 10% discount for second in a pair as they have now. I have waited a very long time, a few weeks won't make a difference.
it is just hard to swallow when i was already expecting the earrings to be here Saturday.

I was not aware that i was making them search a virtual inventory, i thought that 99% of their inventory was virtual. but when i looked on the site, they don't have exactly what i want. not one pair even close in size and quality. i am willing to forgo the upgrade feature since there will be no upgrade. this is it.

what is GOG? Searched the Whiteflash and came up with no matches.

The thing is, with some places you will need to pay a fee to have stones shipped in from Virtual Inventory. If you search on some place like BGD, there are boxes in the search for you to filter out stones that are not in house.

BGD, Good Old Gold (GOG) and Whiteflash are NOT drop shippers like Blue Nile. They have their own, in house branded cuts. They are going to be more expensive than generic stones in virtual selection. They are also going to come with a boatload of performance information. They have special parameter which all the stones in the brand have to meet. You will have to decide whether it's worth it or not for those extra value adds and the "peace of mind" that comes with it. Can you find a nicely cut stone on your own? Yes, but it will take a lot of weeding out through crummy stones to do it. You have to do more than just say "I want F VS2 at xx carat weight." The proportions to which a stone is cut affect how well it performs and not all stones are equal. So one F VS2 .9ct stone is not necessarily just like another. The proportions matter.

If you want to see just how much the proportions matter have a look at this thread. She had some poorly cut studs recut to ideal proportions. Lost a little diameter and weight, but the finished stones look bigger and brighter than they did before the recut.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-a-difference-a-recut-makes-1ctw-diamond-studs-recut.188844/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-a-difference-a-recut-makes-1ctw-diamond-studs-recut.188844/[/URL]

Good luck! I didn't see any in your budget in the .9 size range at BGD. You'd have to drop to around .8 each and go to F/G combinations. You might try looking through James Allen inventory since you aren't planning on upgrading (you'd have to spend double with them) and look at their Hearts and Arrows stones. They have idealscopes attached on those in most cases so you don't have to ask for them.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Here's a pair that's F/G and in-house right around your budget. I recommend just deselecting the boxes that say "Brian Gavin Select and "everything else" in the search options and just looking at in-house stones; those are BG Signature line and BG Blue. The "everything else" and "BG Select" are virtual stones and if you're going to spend the premium, I'd just go ahead and get the good stuff that his branded cut.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond_pair_comparisions/compared_diamond_details/AGS-104063219013/CAGS-104063255078

Saphira2021

Rough_Rock
bastetcat|1367976536|3442405 said:
Here's a pair that's F/G and in-house right around your budget. I recommend just deselecting the boxes that say "Brian Gavin Select and "everything else" in the search options and just looking at in-house stones; those are BG Signature line and BG Blue. The "everything else" and "BG Select" are virtual stones and if you're going to spend the premium, I'd just go ahead and get the good stuff that his branded cut.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond_pair_comparisions/compared_diamond_details/AGS-104063219013/CAGS-104063255078
Bastetcat, thank you for the suggestion. one thing i don't undrerstand. the two diamonds are so vastly different in price, over $1K? and they are a matched pair? what am i missing?

btw, Leslie still hasn't called me back :((

IE_Princess

Shiny_Rock
I won't comment on the diamonds, although there have been some lovely pairs linked and some great advice given. My experience is that shopping for jewelry at specific holidays such as V-Day or Mother's Day often means that you are going to take a hit in the customer service department. They are just so busy! Since there is no way you can get these before Sunday I would recommend slowing down, being patient, and working with BGD or Whiteflash after Sunday. Mistakes are less likely to be made and the representatives will have more time to communicate with you.

The same thing holds true for flowers. Last year my birthday flowers (from DH's favorite florist) were spectacular! Three weeks later my Mother's Day flowers from the same florist looked like someone had grabbed a big grocery store bouquet and shoved it into a vase; they cost more to boot. MD is just too busy, they bring in extra help, etc.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Saphira2021|1368050826|3443039 said:
bastetcat|1367976536|3442405 said:

Bastetcat, thank you for the suggestion. one thing i don't undrerstand. the two diamonds are so vastly different in price, over $1K? and they are a matched pair? what am i missing?

btw, Leslie still hasn't called me back :((

The F is VS1 and the G is a VS2 and so yeah, pretty much one color and one clarity grade higher, I'm guessing costs you about $500 each. I'm guessing, but don't know for a fact, that the F/G combo they put together has been deemed fine (close) for earrings. I see many people on here where the stone may differ by some factor between each other, either color or clarity or both so you need to decide what is right for you.

Here is an FF pair if you are looking for matched color and clarity but it is slightly out of budget:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond_pair_comparisions/compared_diamond_details/AGS-104054189002/CAGS-104063255070

If you'll drop down to G you can get in budget:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond_pair_comparisions/compared_diamond_details/AGS-104063639032/CAGS-104063255078

I don't know if the search parameters will hold if I post this link to the matched pairs. It will probably reset itself, but honestly what I'd do to arm yourself with better information and questions for them when you do talk to them is do some searching yourself in the matched pairs, as was suggested so you can put together a few possibilities to ask about. Post questions and ask for comments here, probably in a new thread. You can adjust the slider bar for the carat weights, color, clarity and so forth. deselect the "Brian Gavin Select" (IMO) because those are virtual stone and only look at in house stones (Signature and Blue).

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/brians-matched-pairs/

I wouldn't take it too personally that Lesley hasn't called you back yet. She's the VP and so I know is very busy....I'd look at some pairs to get an idea of what's there and available, call and talk to whomever answers. They are all quite nice, and see if they can help guide you through their inventory. Remember, they are not drop shippers and in house inventory is limited to the specialty stones on hand. They are beautifully cut (my ering stone and studs are from BG) but they are limited.

Saphira2021

Rough_Rock
I am not sure why it is assumed that I am being impatient. I already said that I will wait for the call. It doesn't mean I can't be sad about it.

Bastetcat, the second pair is the one I came up with myself as well. I am trying to figure out if I should compromise in size or quality. I know 1.0 ea is too big for my ears and .9 ea is the right look because I tried them both at a local store. I will need to find .8 to see if I like it. Not even sure if it would make much of a difference. I would prefer not to go up in price though I could.

What is the difference between AGS and GIA? Is one better than the other? I know that Gia is widely recognized and is strict in standards, but AGS?

Thank u for your help and support

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Hi Saphira-

AGS and GIA are the two top labs here in the US. AGS I believe was an offshoot of some GIA people who wanted to focus more on cut quality. (At least this is how it was relayed to me.) You will find many of the specialty branded stones to be AGS graded. AGS is my preference as well, though I did have a very nice GIA stone in my posession for a bit at one time. AGS Ideal cut (000), and GIA excellent are what you want to stick with in your searching. You won't find any GIA in house stones at BG as I am most certain he uses strictly AGS for his brand.

My answer may seem a little convoluted about quality, so I hope you can bear with me on it :) It can kind of be boiled down to this thread, where a pair of earring stone that were not so well cut were recut to ideal proportions. They lost a little weight and size, but actually look bigger because the cut is so nice.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-a-difference-a-recut-makes-1ctw-diamond-studs-recut.188844/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-a-difference-a-recut-makes-1ctw-diamond-studs-recut.188844/[/URL]

Now, this relates to you question in that you can't just look at the carat weight IMO, especially when you are talking about a few points up or down, but you have to look at cut quality. If you go to a brick and mortar store, and look at .9 stones, IMO the only way you'd be able to compare .9 and .8 is if both of them are equally well cut to the BG stones. If the .9's you go look at aren't cut well, I'd wager a fabulously cut .8 is going to look better (like in the thread above). Likewise, if you go in to a store to see what you think of .8 size stones, the only way you could compare them in a consistent quality manner, would be if you could go look at something like Heart on Fire stones, which are probably going to be the closest quality equivalent to a BG stone...apples to apples and all that. Just something to beware of. In other words, if you go in to a store and view mediocre quality .8 stones, you may not be getting a realistic comparison to the same size stone that is a branded super ideal diamond.

***ETA- I did think of something that may help you when you go try earrings on for size. Check the diameter measurements of the stones. A well cut .9 stone ought to measure around 6.2mm maybe a little under or over. A well cut .8 will measure around 6mm. So if the .9's you went to try on measured under say 6.15mm, you're already visually down to something more like a .8-ish stone anyway. So the diameter as well as the carat weight needs to be taken in to consideration.***

Saphira2021

Rough_Rock
Thank u so much! I think this gives me the exact plan of action. I will go to the store, look, compare and then probably purchase .8 from BGD and AGS

Will post as soon as I look in the store

Thanks again!

Saphira2021

Rough_Rock
I made a run to the diamond shopping center here at lunch and realized that i will be perfectly happy with 1.6 but will not want to go any smaller. thank you all, especially bastetcat for the suggestions. this will make things a lot easier. i will wait for the call and meanwhile browse BGD website to see what i can find.

ETA: i found these 5 pairs. which one do you think is the best and why? thanks for your help
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/d...nd_details/AGS-104063639032/CAGS-104063255078
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/d...d_details/CAGS-104063529037/CAGS-104063255078
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/d...nd_details/AGS-104063639032/CAGS-104063529037
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/d...ond_details/AGS-104063639032/AGS-104064813025
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/d...nd_details/AGS-104063219013/CAGS-104063255078

thanks again

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I would choose the second or fifth pair. They look like excellent matches. I'm sure you'll be happy with either, I know I would be!

I have BGD studs, much smaller than yours, but have to say the diamonds are amazing performers! I can only imagine how beautiful stones in the size you're purchasing will be :love:
Please post a thread in SMTB when you receive your studs :))

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
You're welcome! Glad I was able to help!

I think you'd be fine with any of them, but the first stone in the 4th pair does not yet have any info to look at if you're looking to buy right now and want to see Idealscopes or ASETs first. You really can't go wrong with the Signature stones though. I'd probably go with 1,2 or 5. The 3rd set looks like the lower halves are slightly different lengths (and I looked at the report and they are). I think it's only showing up because of the huge blow up photos but one of them has lower halves at 75 and the other is 76.

Saphira2021

Rough_Rock
bastetcat|1368140876|3443636 said:

I think you'd be fine with any of them, but the first stone in the 4th pair does not yet have any info to look at if you're looking to buy right now and want to see Idealscopes or ASETs first. You really can't go wrong with the Signature stones though. I'd probably go with 1,2 or 5. The 3rd set looks like the lower halves are slightly different lengths (and I looked at the report and they are). I think it's only showing up because of the huge blow up photos but one of them has lower halves at 75 and the other is 76.
Bastetcat, i just reread your post and noticed the above. are you saying that the pictures provided are of actual stones under magnification? if yes, then i totally missed that. also, if that is the case, are those small pieces of color on the stones just light reflections or something else? and another stupid question, how do i chose between them? I understand they are all good, but what do i do? just go by looks? is it that simple?

thank you for all your kind help.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Saphira2021|1368201348|3444176 said:
bastetcat|1368140876|3443636 said:

Bastetcat, i just reread your post and noticed the above. are you saying that the pictures provided are of actual stones under magnification? if yes, then i totally missed that. also, if that is the case, are those small pieces of color on the stones just light reflections or something else? and another stupid question, how do i chose between them? I understand they are all good, but what do i do? just go by looks? is it that simple?

thank you for all your kind help.

Yes- that's one of the main point about not being a drop shipper. You are seeing actual pictures of the stones you are contemplating. With the exception of that one pair where only a stock image was posted because they don't have the data yet they are all "real life" images (just HUGE! :lol: )

The thing about somewhere like BGD or one of the other places that cuts specialty stones, is that they are cut to VERY specific criteria, and all the stones have to fit in that criteria to be pat of that brand, and so that ensures a similarity of feature, to some extent. So, yes, of the ones posted, you could pretty much take your pick.

If you are VERY picky (and some people are, you can scan through the info beneath the stones. The first pair has slightly different table sizes and some people like them to match (one was 55.something and the other was 56.something). Table doesn't bother me at all but I like matched lower halves (lower girdle facets- the arrows you see in the picture) I should look and see what my pair is...

You can kind of crunch through the others in a similar fashion and decide what your needs are.

First pair is lowest price, hits 6mm and has matched LGF.
Second pair is very similar to first.
5th pair is most expensive but contains an F like you originally wanted.

Other than that, you aren't going to have to worry about performance. You've got plenty of data to look at to confirm these are going to sparkle like mad and it's just the personal particulars you need to decide on.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock

Saphira2021

Rough_Rock
bastetcat|1368207352|3444265 said:
..First pair is lowest price, hits 6mm and has matched LGF.

Other than that, you aren't going to have to worry about performance. You've got plenty of data to look at to confirm these are going to sparkle like mad and it's just the personal particulars you need to decide on.
thank you!
this sound like a decision to me. second pair is my best choice since i don't like the disparity in price of the last pair. it does contain an F but i have decided that i don't have to have it. if i did, i would be paying $14-15k and i am not willing.

ETA, so of the 4 at Whiteflash, which one is the better pair? how do they compare to #2 at BGD?

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Can't go wrong with any WF ideal cut pair. you have nice budget and I agree the 2nd pair is beautiful

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Saphira2021|1368208051|3444279 said:
bastetcat|1368207352|3444265 said:
..First pair is lowest price, hits 6mm and has matched LGF.

thank you!
this sound like a decision to me. second pair is my best choice since i don't like the disparity in price of the last pair. it does contain an F but i have decided that i don't have to have it. if i did, i would be paying $14-15k and i am not willing.

ETA, so of the 4 at Whiteflash, which one is the better pair? how do they compare to #2 at BGD?

Again, you can't go wrong as the specs were originally designed by the same person (BG). Quality wise they are going to be similar. Performance is not an issue. SInce you have some F SI's in the mix with the ones at WF though, I'd call them with the matches and talk to them and ask them which are the most eyeclean. Eyeclean is defined in the face up position from a specific distance so if your personal definition of eyeclean is different, you need to tell them (like top and sides, 10", etc...)

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Saphira2021|1368496191|3446400 said:
Bastetcat
I got a call from Whiteflash today. Liza there told me that all the stones were eye clean and she liked this one http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-dia...etails.aspx?Diamond1=2812712&Diamond2=2813897. What do u think of this?

It has been a week and BGD never got back to me. My guess they don't want my business. Considering what I said in the original post, I am not even that surprised.

They look like they are going to be fabulous! Be sure to post a thread in Show Me The Bling when you get them in! :love:

Saphira2021

Rough_Rock
Bastetcat

Thank u for all your help and for your support. As soon as WF comes back with price of the setting I want I will post it. I wanted a four prong martini but they don't carry that and have to get from supplier. They promised to get to me by tomorrow.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results