shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond studs - what size?!?

AMRose

Rough_Rock
I am starting a search for everyday diamond studs. Not in a rush to get these - trying to narrow down size first. How do you decide?

My husband says just go for it and get the largest size I’m comfortable with so we only have to do this search once :lol-2:. I know don't want them hanging off my earlobes. I have TINY lobes so that limits the size (saving $ there lol). I can fit 8.1mm okay. But will that be too big/flashy for everyday?

I will get OECs but since there are none locally, here are MRBs held up to my ear in a few sizes (post gym so apologies for looking messy). Thoughts?!?

Attachments

• 9ADF6552-046A-4A09-BDC1-2546180D12FC.jpeg
    9ADF6552-046A-4A09-BDC1-2546180D12FC.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 260
  • 35BD4775-AA8A-4DB7-A44F-42EF01B89C8D.jpeg
    35BD4775-AA8A-4DB7-A44F-42EF01B89C8D.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 207
  • 2FDDC958-9645-44F0-8CB0-0A6DEE403B3A.jpeg
    2FDDC958-9645-44F0-8CB0-0A6DEE403B3A.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 206

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I think it's personal preference. For studs, for me, I actually find 5 to 6.5 mm better for everyday. Even in colored gems, I like the smaller sizes. (But I'm a usually very casual person, more jeans then dress up.)

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I like being able to see some earlobe, as a frame around the stones, as it were.
The 7.5mm present a perfect 'framed' proportion, to my eye.
So my advice is to go with something similar to that size and get the best OEC cut and color you can find, rather than larger size. Just my opinion.

What setting will you choose?
Good luck!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
8.1 & jackets, to have the option; I am not joking, studs are so polite, they dissapear.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am starting a search for everyday diamond studs. Not in a rush to get these - trying to narrow down size first. How do you decide?

My husband says just go for it and get the largest size I’m comfortable with so we only have to do this search once :lol-2:. I know don't want them hanging off my earlobes. I have TINY lobes so that limits the size (saving $ there lol). I can fit 8.1mm okay. But will that be too big/flashy for everyday?

I will get OECs but since there are none locally, here are MRBs held up to my ear in a few sizes (post gym so apologies for looking messy). Thoughts?!?

I'm liking your husband's opinion... you can always go down in size, so I'd get the largest I could afford while I could! If you can fit 8.1, then I'd get 9's!! LOL

And FWIW, I'd want them hanging off my earlobes... and my knuckles... and my neck... whatev. ;-)

...and then I'd halo them, for good measure. :lol:

AMRose

Rough_Rock
@CHRISTY-DANIELLE I plan to also get smaller studs (thinking in a yellow gold bezel) for more casual days.

@PreRaphaelite for the setting I'm thinking platinum delicate 6 prong basket setting? I did see a pair of studs on here with 4 double claw prongs that caught my eye too.

@AV_ & @msop04 ha, yep, go big right? I do worry a little that if I go smaller, I will get used to the size and wish I went bigger. Hence the indecision.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the look of the 7.5mm for everyday, and opt for a pair of jackets to bling them up for dressier occasions.

DK :))

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go big! I have plastic earring backs from amazon that hold them up just beautifully.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am surprised that I prefer the 7.5mm size. Usually I like the biggest possible. You could certainly go bigger, but the 7.5 looks most pleasing to my eye in these photos.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
All 3 sizes look great on your ear. The smallest one is the most "natural" look, while the largest one has a very blingy appeal to it. I think the middle one has nice presence and a bit of oomph, without being super blingy if that makes sense? Can't go wrong with any of those sizes!

AMRose

Rough_Rock
All these comments are helpful, thanks! It's funny - I initially thought I'd go for about 7.5 mm, which would be a nice everyday size.

I'm not really a jacket person as I prefer more simple, clean looks (but you never know, that could change!).

This has me thinking I target 7.8 mm and see what's available around that size. I suppose it's probably unlikely I will find the perfect combo of the exact mm size while also balancing color + clarity + price.

Opinions on having vendors send options vs. flying to NYC for a visit? Perhaps it can be done without a trip using this lovely forum's help? :)) Otherwise I could go this spring sometime.

Reactions: AV_

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm with the hubby - do it big now, don't do it again ::)

Realistically - noone compares diamond size to lobe size in-person. All they see is diamond size! I think rings are very different - finger/diamond size ratio matters IRL a lot more with rings, IMO.

I'm also not a jacket person. I thought I was, but what I really wanted was a bigger total stud circumference... Once I got the circumference I wanted with diamond alone all desire for jackets disappeared.

I think you wear the 8.1 beautifully ::)

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I just looked up what carats the sizes are, and for best value, you'll likely want to stay under 2ct per stud (8.0mm) otherwise the price will increase quite a lot. So, 7.8mm will be great! I do think it will come down to finding a nice pair with the same cut, color, and clarity preferably. I've heard you can go down a bit on specs for earrings vs. rings.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, how I love these comments! :lol:

I have a few random thoughts. Since you plan to have another smaller pair for super casual days, by all means go for the largest possible. The 8.1mm ones are just fine, so you'd be looking above 2 cts each in OECs. I've gradually upgraded my studs with Whiteflash, and even though every time I think I am at my absolute max, it never fails that I think I can go a little larger!!! So since you'd be buying stones that you woudn't be able to upgrade without losing money, probably, I'd definitely aim for the larger ones, although I think they are all fabulous sizes!

My only concern with OECs is that they are often deeper than ideal cut rounds, and I am wondering if they'll be taller on the ear (and maybe droop more) because of that. It doesn't matter with little stones, but I am not sure about 2 cts (try to get stones at 65% depth or less, perhaps). The other issue is that they won't have the light return as ideal cuts would, but of course, I understand if you just want OECs. The last issue is that it will be more challenging to match a pair of larger stones as the differences can be more readily seen.

So if you are sticking to OECs, I recommend contacting Adam at Old World Diamonds as they have the largest selection of OECs that I know of. It would be fun to go there (make an appt so he knows what you want to see, etc.), but he sells to people all the time via the internet and phone. He can show you pictures and videos of pairs and you can have them sent to you to look at.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer the 7.5 on you, but if your husband said, get whatever size you’re comfortable with- then go bigger!
Please tell me where you will be searching for OEC studs. I’d like a pair too but smaller than what you’re looking for.

AMRose

Rough_Rock
Gah, so hard! I'll target 7.8 mm minimum up 8.1 mm ;-)

@MRBXXXFVVS1 I also had that same thinking about trying to squeeze in under 2 cts each for price reasons. I was hoping for J color but if the size is larger a K/L would be fine - I don't mind some warmth.

@diamondseeker2006 same concern here on depth! I want to minimize them sticking out off my ears as much as possible. In an ideal world I would find diamonds on the slightly shallow side that still sparkle nicely. Needle in a haystack! I've poked around on OWD some but may email Adam this week to see what they already have.

I know Alex Parks gets mixed reviews here but his prices seem good. Not sure how easily he could find what I'm looking for though. Sako at CJD also has the ability to source matching OECs.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The thing is, OWD is a diamond supplier as well as selling retail. So when you have another person look for your stones (like the last two you mentioned), you are adding another layer which may increase your price. I know there are other sources, but I would try OWD first. He has more than he has pictured on the site.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for 7.5

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a general budget in mind for this project?

I, like DS, am concerned about the carat weight that will be required to hit your desired diameter with old cuts.

AMRose

Rough_Rock
Do you have a general budget in mind for this project?

I, like DS, am concerned about the carat weight that will be required to hit your desired diameter with old cuts.

Originally I was hoping to keep it around $20k, but that’s when I first started thinking about these and the max size I guessed I’d want was 7mm. Then I cut paper sizes out and realized I could go bigger, haha.

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
@CHRISTY-DANIELLE I plan to also get smaller studs (thinking in a yellow gold bezel) for more casual days.

@PreRaphaelite for the setting I'm thinking platinum delicate 6 prong basket setting? I did see a pair of studs on here with 4 double claw prongs that caught my eye too.

@AV_ & @msop04 ha, yep, go big right? I do worry a little that if I go smaller, I will get used to the size and wish I went bigger. Hence the indecision.

Since you are also getting smaller ones, I say go for the biggest as well! The 8.1s look stunning on you!

AMRose

Rough_Rock
Adam at OWD sent me a few pair options. He will send another pair or two later this week when he gets diamonds back. Fingers crossed!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so excited to see how this turns out. I have dreams of large OEC studs but without the budget for them.

I'd go as large as I could, but staying reasonable about potentials. If you find the perfect matched pair in 7.4 mm I don't think you should pass them over just because. You're already looking for an incredibly difficult to find thing.

AMRose

Rough_Rock
I'm so excited to see how this turns out. I have dreams of large OEC studs but without the budget for them.

I'd go as large as I could, but staying reasonable about potentials. If you find the perfect matched pair in 7.4 mm I don't think you should pass them over just because. You're already looking for an incredibly difficult to find thing.

Funny you say that about 7.4 mm as one pair he sent is exactly that size! I will figure out how to post videos soon.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wait....did you actually write on your cheeks?
If so, that I think is a first on this forum! LOL

Jackets.....check out the jackets at BGD, they are called Fiore, so you could go with a smaller diamond with the jackets to boot.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's personal preference. For studs, for me, I actually find 5 to 6.5 mm better for everyday. Even in colored gems, I like the smaller sizes. (But I'm a usually very casual person, more jeans then dress up.)

For me it's similar. I like to see a pretty equal amount of earlobe on each side, so 6mm is the ideal size for me for studs. Not too big, not too small, but just right. When I wear studs bigger than that, I don't ever like the look on my own ears when I see myself in the mirror. I do have pretty small earlobes though. 6mm is big enough so they get noticed and commented on but still look casual. I haven't gotten earring jackets yet but I've tried the IDJ jackets on and love the look and keep meaning to buy them.

I think the 7.5 or even smaller down to 7mm would be perfect.

However... they're your ears and your studs, and you are clearly thinking BIG! So get the biggest you can find and rock them!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results