shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond studs help

WGretzky

Rough_Rock
Hello All

I’m looking for diamond studs for my wife. I was thinking of buying the diamonds online then getting them set in martini settings here in my town.

I have found these so far - can anyone help me with an assessment of these diamonds for earrings? opek to other suggestions as well thanks!

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
Hi there, what is your budget and size you're looking for?

WGretzky

Rough_Rock
Looking to spend about $1100 - $1200 for the diamonds. About $1500 for the diamonds and setting together.

I’m looking for tcw around 0.75 - 0.80

thanks!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your first 2 are not cut well. The third one has some possibility.

Here are 2 more stones. They are not the best cut. You need to request the GIA reports on these 2 and the 3rd one you posted
so we can check on the cut. I suggest you have them set at JA. They have a 4 prong basket for $220.

I'm going to look for a smaller pair that are better cut.

Edit...so an excellent cut pair (actually AGS000) Ideal ACA earrings. If she wants to upgrade size or color in the future just need to pick out
something $1 more than the cost of these...(no spending $2x). Settings for them are $195. You can call and ask WF for a picture of the stones
side-by-side to see how they look.

Last edited:

WGretzky

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much!

im willing to push the budget a couple hundred dollars if there is something really worth buying

WGretzky

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your help - I just noticed your edits. Although they are smaller, i agree want to get the cut as good as possible for the sparkle.

A local jeweler provided me with this option- I’ve attached the certificates for both stones he recommended based on my budget. I know that the WF option posted above is far superior. Just wanted thoughts on this one as they are fairly bigger

C8456439-BB15-43B1-82E6-F5C47F7D32B7.jpeg E96E7D34-A162-43A0-8285-F35F1CBE8A8F.jpeg

WGretzky

Rough_Rock
Here’s another one he sent me

FE12CE57-448A-4F58-B2BB-E2966543C414.jpeg

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
When checking cut you can use the HCA tool. It’s on Pricescope under “tools” —> “HCA”

Here’s stone one:

339D6EB1-6390-43B3-95E5-AC8B7A2D384F.jpeg

Stone two:
2322F8E7-8899-4B1D-8651-4712F9103A63.jpeg

I didn’t check stone three; it doesn’t match in color (or size) so I’d personally be wary about using it for studs.

Keep in mind that the WF stones are only about 0.2mm smaller — imperceptible to my eye.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
The ones your jeweler gave you to consider aren’t great by comparison. They’re also only .20mm wider because some of the extra carat weight is hidden in those deeper crowns and pavillions which should have an inverse relationship to work together well. That steep crown would be okay with a 40.6 PA max. The better cut stones will also appear large for their size due to great light performance. IMHO I’d go with the ones @tyty333 found for better performance and great ugrade options.

WGretzky

Rough_Rock
When checking stones you can use the HCA tool. It’s on Pricescope under “tools” —> “HCA”

Here’s stone one:

339D6EB1-6390-43B3-95E5-AC8B7A2D384F.jpeg

Stone two:
2322F8E7-8899-4B1D-8651-4712F9103A63.jpeg

I didn’t check stone three; it doesn’t match in color (or size) so I’d personally be wary about using it for studs.

Keep in mind that the WF stones are only about 0.2mm smaller — imperceptible to my eye.

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much. I included stone 3 as he gave me that as an example if I went to a Lower carat Weigjt with bettter cut, clarity. I’ll crunch the numbers in the tool

Thx again!!

WGretzky

Rough_Rock
The ones your jeweler gave you to consider aren’t great by comparison. They’re also only .20mm wider because some of the extra carat weight is hidden in those deeper crowns and pavillions which should have an inverse relationship to work together well. That steep crown would be okay with a 40.6 PA max. The better cut stones will also appear large for their size due to great light performance. IMHO I’d go with the ones @tyty333 found for better performance and great ugrade options.

Thanks

Is this the case with the 3rd option as well?

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks

Is this the case with the 3rd option as well?

Yes, it’s basically the same (deep Pavillion angle paired with steep Crown angle). It’s also the deepest of the three making it even less desirable. In general you want to stay below 62.3 depth. My guess is it would probably score worse on the HCA. I have no idea why he would say it was cut better. You want stones that score between 1 and 2 on the HCA tool.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Some comments about these options from your to keep in mind going forward :
Stone # 1 symmetry very good and stone #2 polish very good. There are just too many diamonds out there that you shouldn’t be settling for less than excellent in these categories.
The 1st 2 stones are SI2 so you would need to see where the inclusions are. For the one with crystal as grade setter, I’m expecting that to be a large one on the table which is fine as long as it is colorless and not impeding transparency. The other stone has twinning wisp as grade setter and for SI2 I would investigate. The 1st 2 stones are both G color yet 1 had medium blue fluorescence which may give the stone a little bit different appearance for color so you want to make sure they are a close enough match. They most likely would be given they won’t be worn next to one another and in that size it won’t really be seen, just something to keep in mind. I don’t think option 3’s main issue is the depth, the angles are the main problem. My 3x is deep but has good angles and scores all excellents on HCA with the exception of good for spread due to its depth.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those stones offered to you by your jeweler are awful. Some too deep but the main thing is that the crown and pavilion angles should
be a reverse proportion. Like if you have a high crown like 36 degrees, you need a low pavilion like down near 40.6 (and not a high
pavilion ....like 41, 41.2 and 41.4).

WGretzky

Rough_Rock
Thank you all
Again! I think I will go with the option that was suggested to me above

Now the question is setting. Will be getting white gold but should I go

-martini or 4 claw?
-screw back or pushback?

most of her earrings are pushback but the consultant told me to consider screwback for more security against loss. But - screwback can be u comfortable for some people.

anythoughts would be appreciated thanks again! This hoard is great help

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all
Again! I think I will go with the option that was suggested to me above

Now the question is setting. Will be getting white gold but should I go

-martini or 4 claw?
-screw back or pushback?

most of her earrings are pushback but the consultant told me to consider screwback for more security against loss. But - screwback can be u comfortable for some people.

anythoughts would be appreciated thanks again! This hoard is great help

@WGretzky - which option were you thinking to go with?

I'll have a quick look to see what other options I can find.

Personally I would go with screwback as they are more secure. You don't have to screw them too tight - I have them and don't find them uncomfortable.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stick with pushbacks. Why won't you have the stones set by the same vendor you purchase them from?

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Four-prong basket is more standard. Some people prefer martini because they feel the three prongs look more invisible/give a circular look, and because the diamond sits closer to the ear. Other people feel the martini setting can stretch their peircing hole and like the flat basket four-prong sitting against their ear.

Pushbacks are standard, some people prefer screwbacks for added security (I personally prefer them) but others find that they irritate the ear, or are just fiddly to use, or aren’t actually as secure for them.

It’s all a matter of preference. If your wife had strong preferences about this you might know about them already or it might become obvious from looking at her other jewelry. Without knowing her or her preferences I’d go with standard four-prong basket settings and pushbacks, or la pousette backs for added security. If you search the forum there are lots of posts about this and I think most PS-ers are split on martini vs. prongs but prefer pushbacks or la pousette over screwbacks.

WGretzky

Rough_Rock
@WGretzky - which option were you thinking to go with?

I'll have a quick look to see what other options I can find.

Personally I would go with screwback as they are more secure. You don't have to screw them too tight - I have them and don't find them uncomfortable.

The Whiteflash option in post 4 above. Thanks! Appreciate your help and any other suggestions!

WGretzky

Rough_Rock
Stick with pushbacks. Why won't you have the stones set by the same vendor you purchase them from?

I probably will but I will be exporting your Canada and from what I understand If I import loose diamonds I only pay sales tax. Once they are set in a setting they are considered jewelry and I am on the hook for duty on top of the sales tax on the grand total (diamonds plus setting)

WGretzky

Rough_Rock
If you're okay with "I" colour, this pair seem nice

Thanks. How do they compare to the Whiteflash ones above in post 4? (I realize the WF ones are less carat than these)

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I probably will but I will be exporting your Canada and from what I understand If I import loose diamonds I only pay sales tax. Once they are set in a setting they are considered jewelry and I am on the hook for duty on top of the sales tax on the grand total (diamonds plus setting)
Isnt blue nile a Canadian vendor? Maybe that's will save you from import duties and provide you a one stop shop. Ask them to confirm. And then we can help you search BN exclusively.

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
Great advice from @PintoBean. I had a quick look on BN Canadian site and it says duty free for the martini earrings so maybe check with them.

Thanks. How do they compare to the Whiteflash ones above in post 4? (I realize the WF ones are less carat than these)

In regards to WF vs JA/BN - I think @flyingpig has summarised perfectly in another thread (see below).

With WF you get all the additional images so you know 100% what you're getting i.e. a Super Ideal diamond. However with BN/JA, we have to do more legwork. From what I can see, the cut still looks pretty good with complimentary proportions/angles. Sometimes BN can provide additional imaging which will allow us to be even more confident in the cut. In this case the the size difference would be around 0.02mm which I'd say is noticeable.

Also, Medium fluorescence is rarely an issue - but I'd ask their gemologist to double check there's no transparency/hazy issues there.

We've all been there. Go with JA/BN to maximize the other 3Cs or pick WF for the best cut, service and upgrade policy. Then, what do you prioritize the most? Color or carat? It is tough.

I do not have any suggestion other than to go with your instinct at this point.

Last edited:

WGretzky

Rough_Rock
Isnt blue nile a Canadian vendor? Maybe that's will save you from import duties and provide you a one stop shop. Ask them to confirm. And then we can help you search BN exclusively.

Yes if you enter bluenile.ca in your browser that will take you to the Canadian site - although the stock Numbers on the us site and Canadian Are the same.

open to any suggestions! Thanks - so far the Whiteflash option in post 4 above is great, but if I can find some slightly bigger options that have a great sparkle around $1200 USD total ($600 per stone USD approx give or take $100) I’d be happy

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes if you enter bluenile.ca in your browser that will take you to the Canadian site - although the stock Numbers on the us site and Canadian Are the same.

open to any suggestions! Thanks - so far the Whiteflash option in post 4 above is great, but if I can find some slightly bigger options that have a great sparkle around $1200 USD total ($600 per stone USD approx give or take $100) I’d be happy
I'm not sure if you know this, but if the vendor you buy the stone from sets it, and damages it, that's on them. If you take the stone to a different vendor for setting, be prepared to have the diamonds insured. If the second vendor damages the stones while setting, now the burden is on you to deal with the insurance company. This is the main reason why people prefer to use one vendor when it comes to common/stock style settings.

WGretzky

Rough_Rock
I'm not sure if you know this, but if the vendor you buy the stone from sets it, and damages it, that's on them. If you take the stone to a different vendor for setting, be prepared to have the diamonds insured. If the second vendor damages the stones while setting, now the burden is on you to deal with the insurance company. This is the main reason why people prefer to use one vendor when it comes to common/stock style settings.

Thanks for this - this is very useful.

I’d appreciate any help locating some comparable diamonds from BN to avoid duties

WGretzky

Rough_Rock
Great advice from @PintoBean. I had a quick look on BN Canadian site and it says duty free for the martini earrings so maybe check with them.

In regards to WF vs JA/BN - I think @flyingpig has summarised perfectly in another thread (see below).

With WF you get all the additional images so you know 100% what you're getting i.e. a Super Ideal diamond. However with BN/JA, we have to do more legwork. From what I can see, the cut still looks pretty good with complimentary proportions/angles. Sometimes BN can provide additional imaging which will allow us to be even more confident in the cut. In this case the the size difference would be around 0.02mm which I'd say is noticeable.

Also, Medium fluorescence is rarely an issue - but I'd ask their gemologist to double check there's no transparency/hazy issues there.

Thanks @istase2000

I had an online chat with BN yesterday. They said no more images are available for
The 2 BN diamonds that we’re suggested to me in the posts above.

I also requested that the diamonds be inspected by their gemologist to make sure there are no negative effects from medium blue fluorescence (haze or milky look, etc).

he said it would take 1-3 business days to have this done, but I received an email about 6 hours after our chat that they had inspected the diamond, and there was no negative visual impact from the blue fluorescence.

I’m surprised (and a little suspicious) that they were able to do This so quickly late on a Sunday evening.

In any case, I’m not sure what to do between these and the WF diamonds. These are bigger, and slightly cheaper. The Whiteflash ones seem to have a superior cut (I think) but are more expensive.

here are the links again as they are buried

BN option:

http://go.redirectingat.com/?id=292...//www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD13902447

http://go.redirectingat.com/?id=292...//www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD13902451

Whiteflash option

Thanks!

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
I’d go with Whiteflash due to the upgrade policy. In 5 or 10 years you might want to ugrade color or size which you can easily do without restrictions. At Blue Nile you are required to spend twice the price to upgrade.

WGretzky

Rough_Rock
Any more opinions on the BN vs Whiteflash options?

Thanks

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results