shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond studs - certed or uncerted 3ctw

rocksjust4me

Rough_Rock
I am a longtime lurker and could really use some help. I have the opportunity to purchase 3ctw uncerted stones at a good price, They sparkle like crazy and to my untrained eye are G/H SI. Their weight is a little heavier than their mm size, they are a bit bottom heavy. Unfortunately, i do not have any of the stats and images that are normally requested for posts like this. Would you buy larger studs without a cert? I can get lightly smaller certed stones for several thousand more from the usual preferred vendors. Does most everyone go with certed stones for studs? Also, i am somewhat color sensitive can you see tint in a J ACA set in WG?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

DE28BD57-E83F-40A0-A904-393C67BD2AE7.jpeg

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I wouldn’t do it. This is still likely to be a big purchase in financial terms, much better to know exactly what you’re getting. And what about resale value? Whether it’s you or your heirs (!) doing that, again, more easily done with certs. Could you get these certified anyway? I don’t think the GIA cost is that high.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Their weight is a little heavier than their mm size, they are a bit bottom heavy.

So spread is small for the carat weight? That means something on your proportions are out of whack. You mentioned bottom heavy. Possibly a steep-deep combo. Do you have any leakage under the table?

One advantage to buying certified stones is you can guarantee the color, clarity and proportions. Also, when shopping for ideal proportions (rather XXX or super ideal) then you can ensure maximum light performance, which will also ensure the stones size up properly for their carat weight.

For earrings, you could go for a slightly larger table and shallower stone (still within reason) to actually pick up some spread for the carat weight so the stones look larger than their weight. One disadvantage these type of stones carry is they can sometimes have obstruction issues, but as earrings you view them differently so it's not a big deal like an e-ring stone.

Since diamonds are priced on carat weight, it's important to know where that weight is distributed. I'd certainly hate to buy a steep-deep combo as that puts weight in the vertical plane where it cannot be appreciated. I'd rather the combo I suggested and use less carat weight to achieve the same (or greater) spread which would effectively make the stones look larger and be less expensive.

Work smarter, not harder.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would never buy modern cut stones that large uncerted, unless I was receiving a HUGE discount. If they were antiques and I really liked the cut, had a good return policy and enough time to get to an appraiser, I would consider it (and have done so). But for MRBs? No way. With modern cut stones, they're uncerted for a reason, and the reason is not likely to be in your favor.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Since synthetics are this available, there must be lab reports. GIA is good.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results