shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Specs

kaf1775

Rough_Rock
Hi folks, looking to purchase a diamond soon for an engagement ring and came across the diamond below. I am unable to get any ASET or ideal scope images on it so I was hoping someone could take a look at the specs and the image below and provide any feedback. It scored a 1.8 on the HCA with excellent in spread and fire and VG in light return and scintillation. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0039.JPG

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not good!...big table + flat crown + shallow cut = ugly:!::wall: :knockout:

kaf1775

Rough_Rock
Thank you, I really appreciate the feedback. Why would a diamond score so well on the HCA if the porpotions are not ideal? Can you give your opinions on the below?

IMG_0040.jpg

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This one the proportions are closer to what we would normally consider an ideal cut. Would prefer for symmetry to be excellent rather than very good and that the crown angle be a little lower (usual rule of thumb is that the steeper the crown angle, the shallower the pavilion angle [and vice versa]).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That last one is a little outside what I call safe territory to buy without an ASET image.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

kaf1775

Rough_Rock
That last one is a little outside what I call safe territory to buy without an ASET image.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)

Wow, I can't thank you all enough for all the helpful information. I was under the impression that .1 or .2 difference on the angles didn't make that much of a difference but seems like it really does. I had a local jeweler tell me the below was a "perfect" diamond and would produce a lot of sparkle and fire but given the above criteria, it seems to be out of that range provided. I guess the more I look and talk to others the more the confusion sets in.
IMG_0042.jpg
IMG_0043.jpg

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The one above, a 35.5 crown angle is usually recommended with a 40.6 pavilion angle. Would love to see an idealscope or ASET image of the new one your jeweller has recommended.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results