shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Source of Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, has anyone here ever bought from Diamond Source of Virginia? If so, what is your experience, good, bad? Would you recommend them? They've managed to find me a stone that does not seem to be listed on GOG or WF (from either one of whom I'd love to buy since they seem to constantly receive rave reviews on PS).

Also, what is DS of V's pricing like?

Thanks.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2006 11:20:13 PM
Author:lienTN
Hi, has anyone here ever bought from Diamond Source of Virginia? If so, what is your experience, good, bad? Would you recommend them? They''ve managed to find me a stone that does not seem to be listed on GOG or WF (from either one of whom I''d love to buy since they seem to constantly receive rave reviews on PS).

Also, what is DS of V''s pricing like?

Thanks.
Never heard of them. Can you give us a link??

LuvThatBling

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I know of them, as they are located in my hometown of Richmond, VA. They have an excellent reputation here, but people here aren''t exactly the smart shoppers here so I can''t comment on price, but they have a no questions asked return policy. Here is their website http://www.dsourceva.com/

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm, not familiar with them. Looking at the link, I don''t like from their website is they say they have a 2 working day return policy - not much time to set up an appraisal and get it back - you would have to have the appraisal already set up before the stone even shipped to you! They do appear to be members of the BBB.

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/17/2006 12:23:13 AM
Author: :)
Hmm, not familiar with them. Looking at the link, I don''t like from their website is they say they have a 2 working day return policy - not much time to set up an appraisal and get it back - you would have to have the appraisal already set up before the stone even shipped to you! They do appear to be members of the BBB.

Weird, this is what it said when I clicked...

Loose Diamonds and Diamond Rings
Risk free way to buy loose diamonds and diamond rings!

You examine the diamond before you buy:

Extremely low prices and quick personal service
We inspect all diamonds to ensure high quality
Free next day delivery to you for your inspection
You can have diamonds examined by independent appraiser
Only pay after you have inspected the diamond
No questions asked return policy, no cost to you

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Lien,

Somewhat recently, a poster commented on working with them and liking them.

Re the time to hold the diamond before returning it...read their site under shipping procedures:

"Inspection Period
Unless otherwise agreed to, the normal inspection period is two working days. For example, if we ship on Monday, you will receive the diamond Tuesday morning. You will have until Thursday afternoon to make your purchase decision.
With advance planning, this should be ample time for you to inspect the diamond and take it to an independent appraiser if you desire. Since we have examined the diamond prior to shipping to ensure its beauty and quality, we find you''ll probably only need a quick glance to realize this is the diamond for you. Our customers find this is plenty of time and it allows us to either sell or return the diamond to the wholesaler at the end of the 5 or 7 day memo period we have the diamond."

I recall from the previous poster that they don''t routinely screen for you, using tools like the HCA, but probably will on your behalf, if you tell them this is important to you. Also, for an outfit of their type, even with new certs coming with substantive data, I personally think it''s bad form for them to not audit proportion data on the diamonds they give you, i.e., have invested in some apparatus like sarin or ogi...but as I recall from previous notes, I don''t think they have.

Finally, re your comments that they find diamonds WF & GOG have not...just be sure to double check with WF, at least. They routinely do work off of a big db, and may or may not have access to some theoretical lower cost option, and give their comparative check to this. Frankly, I''m with you, and think I would value more a WF''s comparison of an out of house...especially with a bird in hand comparison vis-a-vis one of their in-house (DSV has no in-house, which they brag about) as a back up in mind.

Best,

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you call Good Old Gold or WF and ask them about getting this diamond in for you? I know from my experience, Jonathan at Good Old Gold has told me he can also get most of the diamonds listed on virtual inventories like Blue Nile. They just don''t list them on their web-site. I''d check with him first before going through an unknown vendor. Jon might charge a little more, but he''d provide you with all the pictures and tests on the diamond which could help you make a wise decision. Plus they have a 30 day return policy.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, thanks, guys, for all the infor. It is true that DSV do not have a Sarin machine or OGI, thought they do check the cut on the HCA. I don't like their return policy either, it is far too short. I must say I like GOG's inspection of the diamond and giving you all sorts of pictures, so you have an idea of what the cut is like, and pointing out where the inclusions are. Both GOG and WF have such a good reputation. I will definitely give them a call and see if they can find the same diamond that DSV has. I hope DSV won't get too mad though!

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
I received a price quote from them before. They have a reasonable price range at least for what I was looking for anyways. Denny is extremely helpful and knowledgeable for what I was looking for. All you need to do is talk to them about their return policy. They will be flexible with you to accomodate your needs. Hope that helps.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/17/2006 8:37:22 AM
Author: lienTN
Wow, thanks, guys, for all the infor. It is true that DSV do not have a Sarin machine or OGI, thought they do check the cut on the HCA. I don''t like their return policy either, it is far too short. I must say I like GOG''s inspection of the diamond and giving you all sorts of pictures, so you have an idea of what the cut is like, and pointing out where the inclusions are. Both GOG and WF have such a good reputation. I will definitely give them a call and see if they can find the same diamond that DSV has. I hope DSV won''t get too mad though!
Doesn''t matter, Lien. Vendors compete for customers based on service and reputation. The diamonds available from wholesalers are available to mutitudes of vendors. If I see a diamond online that is not in-house on another site, I don''t hesitate to email Jonathan and ask him about it. I did that during my diamond search and he called about a diamond I was interested in and found out that even though the numebrs looked good, it did not have true hearts and arrows symmetry which is what I wanted. So he saved me from ordering a diamond that I would have probably returned if I had just ordered it from the other place. Or worse, I would have gotten a lesser quality diamond than I could have gotten.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Alexis. I have actually emailed Denny and am waiting for his reply.

Diamondseeker, I will email/ call Jonathan also. I guess it is a very competitive business and I shouldn''t hesitate to check out others who may be able to offer me a stone that best meets my requirements. Thx.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know if I''d purchase from them, but I found their website very helpful, particularly about diamond shapes. They have some fun info there.. worth looking at the website even if you aren''t going to buy.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/17/2006 3:26:58 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

I don''t know if I''d purchase from them, but I found their website very helpful, particularly about diamond shapes. They have some fun info there.. worth looking at the website even if you aren''t going to buy.
I went back and looked at the educational section (I had focused on their policies when peeking at them the first time). I agree it is very good, esp on shapes which was a really neat section! I definitely recommend that section to read about cut shapes!

rogue

Shiny_Rock
Hi LienTN. Sorry this response is a bit late, but if you''re still considering Diamond Source of Virginia, I''m a big fan. I''m the poster Ira was referencing, you can see my review here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pics-of-my-stone-and-mounting-and-my-diamond-buying-experiences.48977/. I purchased my stone from them back in July/August of this year. I suppose if Whiteflash or Good Old Gold had a stone with the specs I was looking for in stock, I might have gone with them first, simply because of all the data they have on their stones, their great reputation here, the ease of purchase and the lifetime tradeup. But stones around 1.75 were hard to come by, and Denny from Diamond Source was able to locate some great stones for me. I found his prices to be extremely fair, and he is so knowledgeable. Though he doesn''t normally do the idealscope and H&A viewer tests, he will if you ask. I agree, I think if they got a Sarin or Megascope machine to measure angles, it would really help people like us, but different business strategies for different folks I guess. One of my co-workers used Denny to buy a cushion stone around 2.2 carats, quite a beauty. They found him an EX/EX cushion with great proportions, very hard to come by. It seems they really work their inventory connections. I wouldn''t hesitate - the two business day return policy before they charge you a dime is fantastic, and if you have them ship it out to you so you get it on a Thursday I think you get until Monday to review it.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Rogue. It is certainly useful infor and glad to hear abt your and your co-worker's happy experience. I too found Denny very knowlegeable and helpful.

Actually, I posed an earlier thread about a stone I'd already purchased and wasn't entirely happy with the colour (or more accurately lack thereof) but the stone (even though it scores over a 2 on the HCA) is amazingly sparkling and absolutely beautiful. The vendor has agreed to either refund the money or exchange it for another stone. I was thinking of returning it and get my money back and that's why I was considering purchasing from DSV or WF or GOG (and would really love to, due to their, esp. the latter two's, great reputation), but the hassle and added cost of purchasing a stone on line for me are rather off-putting (I live in Singapore), not to mention the trouble and cost of having to return the stone and claiming back the sales tax already paid. So, for the time being, I've asked the vendor to source for another stone for me. If they don't manage to do it, I may very well just keep the one I've got. I 've kind of grown attached to it, and to be honest, having to spend another six to eight months sourcing and looking at dozens more stones (which I literally did) seem rather daunting.

Anyway, as soon as I completely make up my mind, I will post pics of my diamond (currently set in a temporary very simple setting). Oh maybe I will post the pics anyway...what the heck!
1.gif

Thanks again.

Lien

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results