shape
carat
color
clarity

diamond size VS finger size, what ratio looks best?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hausee

Rough_Rock
My girl friend has 4.25 finger, it looks like .75 ct diamond is a little big on her hand? But with my budget, I think I can get a 1ct for her. But is there a rule out there on which size diamond to choose based on the finger size? just for esthetics purpose?

thank you

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hausee there are no hard and fast rules as to carat sizes on certain finger sizes ( unless you ask Dancingfire, just kidding!) Go with what you and your GF like and what she feels comfortable wearing. Some here have tiny fingers and wear 2 or 3 carats with ease and grace, it depends on the individual. A carat is a very nice size and especially as diamonds can look smaller after they have been worn a while, this will allow for shrinkage! Don't worry about any rules, get what you both like!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
If you can get her a 1ct nice quality than I would go for it!

I got married 11 years ago, engaged 12 years ago and my husband proposed with a .81ct diamond. I thought it looked huge on my size 5 1/4 finger, so did he. But over the years it started looking smaller and smaller. What looks huge on a 25 year olds finger looks smaller on a 37 year olds finger LOL.

Recently I got a gift of a 1.63 diamond from him. Finger is still a 5 1/4.

The 1.63 while large is not what I would call huge either. I know I will never get a larger diamond that this, nor would I want to.

Bottom line, I dont'' think you can go wrong with a 1ct if its a great cut. But if you can afford an amazing cut .75 and an average cut 1ct I would go for the .75. Better cut wins over size in my opinon. The cut is what make a stone pretty.

You will get lots of responses from women with smaller fingers than me and much larger diamonds.

1ct is a really great size on a small finger. She will get use to it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto to everything asscherisme said. I started with a 1 ct. on a 4 3/4 finger and am now getting a 1.63 as an anniversary gift.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker, once my camera is working we have GOT to compare photos! Esp since our fingers are only 1/2 size off!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
if you want to go by the 1 ct to a size 6 finger, and size it down, I like this formula:

finger diameter/ (finger diameter-diamond diameter)=1.618

which would give you something around .75 on a 4.25 ring size.

But a 1 ct will not look too big on her hand.

David0722

Rough_Rock
For what it''s worth, I''m shopping for a 1.4 size diamond for my girlfriend who weighs less than 100lbs and has a 4.0 finger.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wear a 3.5 and had a 1 carat diamond for 5 years. It was the perfect size an never felt uncomfortable or too big. If you can afford the 1 carat, I say go for it.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Ring size has more influence over setting than diamond size. The length of finger is more relevant to size.

If you can afford the 1c - go with it. As noted, diamond shrinkage sets in quick! If you want to compromise - search for a diamond just shy of 1c - in the .90 - .97 range 9 or even in the .80 range. You will save quite a bit of money.

David0722

Rough_Rock
Interesting side question for those in this thread:

Do you think there is any optical illusion that can make the diamond look bigger/smaller depending on the THICKNESS of the ring? The setting I have on order is a very thin 2.75mm ring, and I think I''ve convinced myself that it would help the diamond look bigger.

Any thoughts on this?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2006 10:03:38 AM
Author: David0722

Do you think there is any optical illusion that can make the diamond look bigger/smaller depending on the THICKNESS of the ring? The setting I have on order is a very thin 2.75mm ring, and I think I've convinced myself that it would help the diamond look bigger.

Any thoughts on this?

I definitely think the thinkness of the band can make a diamond look bigger or smaller depending on the thickness. Most gals around here like a thin, thin band.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2006 10:06:10 AM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 7/27/2006 10:03:38 AM
Author: David0722

Do you think there is any optical illusion that can make the diamond look bigger/smaller depending on the THICKNESS of the ring? The setting I have on order is a very thin 2.75mm ring, and I think I''ve convinced myself that it would help the diamond look bigger.

Any thoughts on this?

I definitely think the thinkness of the band can make a diamond look bigger or smaller depending on the thinking. Most gals around here like a thin, thin band.
Also, how high the diamond is set. Typically the lower set - the lower the profile so to speak.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Do you think there is any optical illusion that can make the diamond look bigger/smaller depending on the THICKNESS of the ring?

Yes! My 1.06 is in a 3mm cathedral, love it, looks great. However I''ve seen a similar size princess in thinner setting and it definitely looked bigger!

hausee

Rough_Rock
Thank you ladies :) Do you know how lucky the guy has small finger GF?
emotion-19.gif

I guess I will stick with my original plan to get a bigest stone within my budget. Also, for the setting, I like the Tiffany knife edge replica which is 1.7~2.3 mm. I bet that will make the diamond bigger. But on the other hand, do you have setting with side stone you can recommand?

thank youi

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
I know at least a few people with 2-3 carat rings on small fingers, and they look beautiful... not showy or overwhelming. So I think the sizes you''re considering will be absolutely fine! I would definitely go with the 1ct if your budget allows it. Congrats on the upcoming engagement!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2006 10:24:55 AM
Author: hausee
emotion-19.gif

I guess I will stick with my original plan to get a bigest stone within my budget. Also, for the setting, I like the Tiffany knife edge replica which is 1.7~2.3 mm. I bet that will make the diamond bigger. But on the other hand, do you have setting with side stone you can recommand?

thank youi
I love this solitaire setting. Does she want sidestones? If so, then your budget must include the price jump when getting more stones/ring.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2006 10:24:55 AM
Author: hausee
emotion-19.gif

thank youi
hausee, I''m sure some ladies might post pics, but have you looked through the ring thread?
30.gif
Scads of beauties in there, with all the details on most. Have fun!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Yes, a thinnner band makes the diamond look bigger. My original .81 was in a 2.5 mm band with a platinum 4 prong head. I think the 4 prongs made it look bigger too than a 6 prong would have becuase more diamond showed.

I would be careful about knife edge. Some people love it, but some may find it uncomfortable.

A solitare setting that I love, very elegant and simple is made by stuller with a tiffany type head. I think it comes in both 4 and 6 prong head. I usually don''t like 6 prongs but on this setting I think they look very nice.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a 4.75 finger and a 1 carat cushion. I love it. DSS does set in, but there are times it still looks really big to me too (usually after a visit to a mall jeweler!) I feel it''s a lovely size..substantial enough, but also subtle where I can wear it everyday with everything and never feel self conscious.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2006 9:36:39 AM
Author: JulieN
if you want to go by the 1 ct to a size 6 finger, and size it down, I like this formula:

finger diameter/ (finger diameter-diamond diameter)=1.618

which would give you something around .75 on a 4.25 ring size.

But a 1 ct will not look too big on her hand.
JULIE!!

::bump:: Okay I''m bumping this because I keep going back to it and it isn''t making sense to me... if a 1 ct diamond has a diameter of aprox 6.5 and a size 6 finger has a diameter of 16.2, wouldn''t the ratio be 2.5? I totally defer to you so I''m certain I''ve screwed something up - could you please twist my brain back to the forward position please? LOL I got .75 on a size 4, and 1.3 on a size 8, and 2c on a size 10 so I know we can''t be that far off... I''m assuming where I''ve screwed up is the fd-dd but I''m not sure what importance that has in the formula when you can just do fd/dd???

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
There is NO math or science regarding ring size that will dicate what looks good on YOUR hand. The hand, setting & person wearing it is more complicated than ring size.

Get what you like looking at. Match that with what you can afford. But, if you like rules than follow Debeer''s marketing of two months salary.
2.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2006 1:51:42 PM
Author: fire&ice
There is NO math or science regarding ring size that will dicate what looks good on YOUR hand. The hand, setting & person wearing it is more complicated than ring size.

Get what you like looking at. Match that with what you can afford. But, if you like rules than follow Debeer''s marketing of two months salary.
2.gif
LOL! this really isn''t a preference issue, this is a geeky number issue only... I read the thread you started and I''m with you on the eye-tool, but this really is just a math problem! LOL!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2006 1:55:15 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

2.gif
LOL! this really isn''t a preference issue, this is a geeky number issue only... I read the thread you started and I''m with you on the eye-tool, but this really is just a math problem! LOL!
Ah! I really thought you beleive there was a "formula" on the books.
6.gif
Sorry. LOL.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2006 1:59:42 PM

Date: 8/20/2006 1:55:15 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

2.gif
Ah! I really thought you beleive there was a ''formula'' on the books.
6.gif
Sorry. LOL.
LOL! Nah, but being a math/physics lover I do believe there are ideal numbers, but there are so many factors... and the thing that really gets me is that not all viewing is done from top up 8" or whatever. When I''ve played with diamonds, ALL of the money shots (IMO) have been at angles ... I still think there is something to be said for numbers, but as long as most of the technology is strictly geared toward top light return and my experience is that rings on a tilt have more fire and I like fire... so I''m not sure that judging just by top stats is gonna get me what I want when the ring is in another position other than a grading positon. Kinda like a girl coming out of the bathroom who looks beautiful but those behind her see she''s tucked her skirt in her panties LOL One angle/view isn''t the whole picture and that''s where eyes come in. JMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results