shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Selection - Need advice!

mcroman15

Rough_Rock
I need some assistance with a diamond selection. I went to my jeweler to select my engagement ring. She showed me two pear shaped diamonds:

1. 2 carat, color K, IF clarity, nice shape, GIA certified
2. 1.5 carat, color D, SI1 clarity, nice shape EGL USA certified

In terms of the two diamonds, what would be more value for my money? She asked $9500 for the 2 carat and $8500 for the 1.5.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA-graded diamonds are always a better value because EGL is not a very accurate grading lab. We have seen a diamond that was graded H color by EGL that was actually a P color, for instance. People say on average they are two color grades and one clarity grade off, but there is really no way of knowing unless you get your diamond re-graded by GIA.

However that question isn't the most important - which one was prettier? Did they have bow-ties? How was the light performance? Was the color in one or the other noticeably more concentrated at the tip? These are all questions you need to think about before purchasing. Have your jeweler keep the K and call in a few other GIA-graded pears for you to look at.

Here are a couple of videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0uIKhU5yvc&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEz36bliNV8&feature=relmfu

Behacad

Shiny_Rock
The deal on the 2 carat seems almost unbelievable. How good is the cut?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Behacad|1348065515|3270852 said:

It's a pear shape, the prices are in line with pears.

Behacad

Shiny_Rock
distracts|1348068543|3270909 said:
Behacad|1348065515|3270852 said:

It's a pear shape, the prices are in line with pears.

Oops, ignore my post then!

Sparkleho

Rough_Rock
Which stone do you like better? I understand value for your money but you have to LIKE the diamond.

I wouldn't be too concerned with EGL calling the diamond a D because even if they are off 2 colors you still have a colorless diamond. I bet though that the clarity is off, Si1 should be clean in a GIA but EGL is definitely iffy.

I think IF is a bit overrated for the average person , I think to the average consumer color is more important along with cut.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results