shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Review Please

RockChic22

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

My fiancé and I have been researching criteria to choose a good stone for my forever ring. Thankfully we came across this wonderful community! :wavey: We have been learning as much as we can in the last week but I know it takes much longer than that to become an expert.

I found a stone at James Allen that appears to hit the mark. Our goal is to find something close to 1.5 carat and I would prefer a G/H VS1 or better. Max price is 14k, less would make my fiancé happy, no surprise there! =)2 I don't want to upgrade the stone once it's set so finding the best option at our price point is key.

What do you all think? All opinions and suggestions are much appreciated!

Specs:
1.44 G VVS1
Table: 56.6
Depth: 61.5
Crown: 34.5
Pavillion: 40.8
Measurement: 7.25 x 7.27 x 4.46 mm
JA 1.44.jpg HCA score: 1.1

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely a nice stone! Great numbers, AGS000 with Ideal light return, great size, color, and clarity...you did well!

Let us know what you think when you get it!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great stone, good choice!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice stone. Like the G color, and the proportions are amazing. Hearts image confirms good symmetry and the IS and computer generated ASET on the cert confirm good light performance. You guys did good!

If you wanted to save a few bucks, you may be able to back off the VVS2 clarity. Not sure the reasoning behind preferring a VS1+ stone but keep in mind clarity is graded using a 10x scope. The images we see online are easily 20x so many times you can find a little better monetary value in an eye clean SI1 or VS2 without sacrificing any clarity that would be visible to the naked eye.

The price of the JA stone isn't shown, so maybe these are some price comparisons for you. Or maybe they are true alternatives. Thought they deserved a mention though as they seem to fit your criteria fairly well.

1. Drops to H color, maintains VVS2 clarity and right at $13.6k with the wire discount. Bumps you a little in size to 1.573 carats, which gets you a 7.44mm spread vs 7.25mm spread.

Also, even though you aren't interested in upgrading -- should you ever change your mind, the upgrade program is vastly superior to JA. It's simple, spend $1 more and get full credit of the original stone. It doesn't require you to spend 2x the original amount like with JA or any other non-sense.

Plus, these guys are pretty highly respected for churning out quality H&A stones with excellent customer service.

2. If color is your thing, this bumps you to F. Drops clarity to VS2, but it's clean looking at the cert. Comes in at $14.5k with the wire discount. It comparison to the JA stone, it gives you slightly more carat weight at 1.480 and gives you a smidge more spread at 7.30mm although the spread/weight gains are very minimal.

Same company, same policies, etc as the other stone listed above.

RockChic22

Rough_Rock
Appreciate the feedback and kind words! @sledge, thank you for the links. We will review both and consider them. The VS1+ is mostly a mind clean thing for me. I know eye clean is what matters and I'm trying to work through my irrationality.

For anyone wondering about price, the PS price for the JA stone is $13,210 and it drops down to $13,012 with wire transfer. I believe it was listed at $13,430 or so.

I have been lurking and noticed the posts with CBI pictures. I have to admit they look stunning and make me wonder if the JA stone would even come close to that... :(

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're very welcome @RockChic22. Hope you and yours find the one that takes your breath away and gives you overall peace.

I understand and respect mind clean issues. If you go down lower in clarity I think you should make sure you find the right one so it doesn't feel like a sacrifice.

You mentioned CBI stones. I searched HPD earlier, but didn't really pop anything in your price, color, size and clarity ranges. I opened up to some SI1 stones and of course got a few more results as evidenced below.

Capture100.PNG

I really like that 1.61 H SI1 they have. Right at your max budget but you get more carat weight and spread (7.50mm). But look at the AGS cert, it's very clean. Has a feather on the bottom for the clarity grading. And CBI/HPD guarantees eye clean stones and has been known for their strictness in internal color and clarity grading.

Superb upgrade program similar to WF, and HPD offers a lifetime 80% buyback policy (that no one else offers). And HPD has a superb reputation for quality customer service and gorgeous CBI stones.

It may be worth a consideration.

Love the proportions -- that small 55.2% table makes me weak in the knees. Paired with a lovely 34.5 crown and 40.7 pavilion. Nice 15.5% crown height. Very dreamy indeed.

Capture101.PNG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results