shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Re-cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iceshopper

Rough_Rock
I recently had a loose stone that I''m planning to sale (have to give the woman what she wants!) appraised. The round cut diamond came back as a VS1 G .84 carat with a retail replacement value of $4500. The downside is the cut is not very good. It''s table is to large and, idealy, the stone should be deeper. The appraiser mentioned the possibility of getting the stone re-cut. I should have taken the time to talk with her about what that would do for the value of the stone, but neglected to do so at the time. I won''t be able to speak with her again until Saturday so I thought I''d jump on here and see what the pros and cons of having a stone re-cut are. If it would be helpful, I''ll post the measurements the appraiser gave me when I get home tonight.

Thanks all!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is difficult to consider a recut without seeing the stone in person. There are many things that affect the cost and final result:
1. Starting carat weight
2. Physical size
3. Inclusions and their locations
4. How well cut do you want the final result to be

There will be weight loss in addition to the cost of the recut. If the final "value" is better, then obviously a recut may be the way. Also remember that there are certain magic carat weight numbers where the price rises or falls: 0.5ct and 0.75ct. To drop below that mark will mean a sharp drop in retail value. If the stone only needs little tweaks that lets it remain above 0.75ct, I''d do it. Otherwise, I''d keep it set in a pendant where there is less scrutiny.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also bear in mind, there is always a risk to consider when recutting, and it is unlikely the cutter will take the risk should the diamond break or be damaged. The risk is small, but is something you need to be aware of.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Get some advice from your appraiser first. The appraiser may not really be all that expert in recutting, but it is a start. Analyze not only the value after cutting, but deduct what you are going to be charged for the re-cut work. If you are going to try to sell the diamond, just sell it and get it over with. Don''t recut before trying to sell it. Leave such a risk to a diamond dealer. No cutter and very few retailers will cover you for any unexpected breakage of a diamond during recutting. Your insurance won''t cover damage, either.

Also, if you are going to get a different diamond, try trading this one in with the seller. They may give you a fair deal although you will surely take a loss.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Retail value is a worthless number when considering a private person to person sale. On a small stone of .84 you are likely looking at a value of $1000 to $1500 max. I doubt you could get it recut for less than $400 and it''s not going to magically make it worth more than the $1500.
Just sell it outright or trade it in.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results