shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Promise Rings

SpencerDane

Rough_Rock
My 17 year old has decided to get his girlfriend a diamond promise ring for Christmas. They have been dating a couple of years and she is a very sweet young lady, so I support him in buying this gift. However, I do not feel we should spend a huge amount of money for a promise ring. Where can I find a lovely promise ring of about .25 ctw without breaking my budget. I would like to keep this ring under $300 if at all possible.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does he want a small solitare, like a little engagement ring, or does he want a pretty ring with diamonds that she can move to her right hand upon engagement? Or will he want to upgrade it for the engagement ring?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, there are quite a few options on eBay. Do you know what size finger she has? It's extra to resize a ring and if it needs to be a few sizes up, it can get expensive as extra gold is needed.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if up for used, but here are a couple.
My thoughts on promise rings. If they look too similar to an engagement ring, it can be confusing. If they have been dating for a couple years it may be time to get her a nice piece of jewelry like ring or necklace, but I think it is better if it doesn't look just like an engagement ring because then she can wear it afterwards. Who is buying this ring, you or your son?

https://loupetroop.com/listings/rings-natural-diamond-center/3-stone-diamond-ring-magic-glo-triology-past-present-future-14k-white-gold-and-platinum-0-dot-24-ct-anniversary-promise-;13064

https://loupetroop.com/listings/rings-natural-diamond-center/14k-wg-3-stone-diamond-ring

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with part_gypsy...a nice necklace or bracelet would be perfect. If it is a ring that looks like a solataire then he should
probably say "promise ring"...several times ;)) so she doesnt jump to the wrong conclusion.

Long story short...this is basically how my brother ended up engaged at 19. He thought he was buying just a pretty ring for his
GF of a few years for Xmas...didnt realize a single solitaire was basically an "engagement ring"...neither my Mom nor I knew what he had
bought her or we would have been sure to let him know. So Xmas morning when she opens the box, he doesnt say a thing and she shouts
out Yes! And...voila...he ended up engaged! :lol:

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the promise? To get married in the future? If so, why not an engagement ring because that promises the same thing? Or a promise to stay together and continue dating? What hand will your son's girlfriend be wearing this on and who is purchasing it? You say that "we" are purchasing it. If whatever the promise is is broken would the gift be returned to the purchaser?

If she wears it on her left hand, she's going to be asked lots if she's engaged and that may put her in an awkward position. I'd prefer to have a nice piece of jewellery I can wear even after I get engaged. The promise ring just gets replaced with an engagement ring later so the first ring sits in a box. At 17 I would have felt very uncomfortable if my boyfriend's parents were buying me commitment jewellery. I'm with a couple of the others in picking another item than a ring.

Diamond earrings www.bluenile.com/diamond-14k-white-gold-stud-earrings_49969?track=po and www.bluenile.com/diamond-14k-white-gold-stud-earrings_49970?track=po and www.bluenile.com/mini-heart-diamond-stud-earrings-14k-white-gold_32338?elem=img&track=product

Diamond pendant www.bluenile.com/mini-star-diamond-necklace-14k-rose-gold_32391?elem=img&track=product and www.etsy.com/uk/listing/266738736/ and www.etsy.com/uk/listing/266607249/

But if you confirm that you want a ring I'll happily provide suggestions for that too.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1479663607|4100818 said:
I agree with part_gypsy...a nice necklace or bracelet would be perfect. If it is a ring that looks like a solataire then he should
probably say "promise ring"...several times ;)) so she doesnt jump to the wrong conclusion.

Long story short...this is basically how my brother ended up engaged at 19. He thought he was buying just a pretty ring for his
GF of a few years for Xmas...didnt realize a single solitaire was basically an "engagement ring"...neither my Mom nor I knew what he had
bought her or we would have been sure to let him know. So Xmas morning when she opens the box, he doesnt say a thing and she shouts
out Yes! And...voila...he ended up engaged! :lol:
Haha no! What happened next??

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They got married! My brother didn't have the heart to tell her that that was not what he had intended. He said they probably would have gotten engaged sooner or later anyway. They had a good go at it...about 12 or so years...no kids...got divorced. They both remarried (others) several years later. They were both just very young at the time and changed a lot as they grew.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't believe I can't find my little promise ring. It was two little oval sapphires next to each other (toi et moi) with teeny melee diamonds, about 5 on each side, on the band.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rhea|1479665670|4100824 said:
What is the promise? To get married in the future? If so, why not an engagement ring because that promises the same thing? Or a promise to stay together and continue dating? What hand will your son's girlfriend be wearing this on and who is purchasing it? You say that "we" are purchasing it. If whatever the promise is is broken would the gift be returned to the purchaser?

If she wears it on her left hand, she's going to be asked lots if she's engaged and that may put her in an awkward position. I'd prefer to have a nice piece of jewellery I can wear even after I get engaged. The promise ring just gets replaced with an engagement ring later so the first ring sits in a box. At 17 I would have felt very uncomfortable if my boyfriend's parents were buying me commitment jewellery. I'm with a couple of the others in picking another item than a ring.

Diamond earrings www.bluenile.com/diamond-14k-white-gold-stud-earrings_49969?track=po and www.bluenile.com/diamond-14k-white-gold-stud-earrings_49970?track=po and www.bluenile.com/mini-heart-diamond-stud-earrings-14k-white-gold_32338?elem=img&track=product

Diamond pendant www.bluenile.com/mini-star-diamond-necklace-14k-rose-gold_32391?elem=img&track=product and www.etsy.com/uk/listing/266738736/ and www.etsy.com/uk/listing/266607249/

But if you confirm that you want a ring I'll happily provide suggestions for that too.

I have heard it said too it is the same as getting engaged if you are promising to marry. We don't have over here in Britain though.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its sort of like a sign of courting with intention to marry. The idea is: we are too young to get married, but we intend to, and it will be years before we get engaged, so a promise ring comes before the engagement ring. A promise ring is usually bought by someone ages 17-20, in college or just starting steady employment and completely broke. I received my promise ring at 19, engagement ring at about 23.5 years old and was married age 25.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A bit like locking the girl down, I wouldn't have liked it. The promise rings used in USA are the size of our engagement rings in Britain so I suppose we see it as an engagement ring (usually quarter of a carat).

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pyramid|1479671677|4100841 said:

and? i would say most antique solitaire diamond rings were engagement rings, even if it wasnt English.

Aurora43

Rough_Rock
I am not sure exactly what your son is looking for, but I think the antique ring that whitewave shared that is $299 would be a great choice. My son got his now wife one very similar to this a couple of years before they got engaged and she loved it so well that she wore it for a few years with her wedding band before she upgraded to a larger solitaire.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results