shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Pricing Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ssteigs

Rough_Rock
I know diamond prices have been on the rise lately. Has there been any price increases since July that anyone knows of? Also do prices tend to come down after Xmas or does Valentines day keep them high?

Does it ever occur that certain sizes move up in price while others come down or do prices move together in one direction or another? For example 1 qt rounds may be in demand and therefore increase in price but 2 cts have less demand so their prices may decrease. Just trying to figure out how prices are determined aside form the standard Supply and demand model.

thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't answer fully, but there seems to be a shortage in the higher carat diamonds such as 1.5 and 2 cts upwards plus a huge demand for those sizes. JMO nut maybe folk who particularly want a bigger diamond are buying now to try to avoid any more increases as they have become more expensive and pickings are getting slimmer. I am sure you will get better input soon, just my thoughts.....but I don't think that the prices move down at all in desirable stones or will be coming down for the forseeable future.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Asking prices at any level of retail are totally dictated by sellers. Wholesale costs are somewhat oriented to market supply and demand, but DeBeers and the other major sources sort of have quasi-control of the market and supply. These huge financial entities can have marked effect on costs of particular material when they feel it is something important to support prices or to alter supply/demand ratios.

Prices on rough can go up and asking prices at retail can still go down. The opposite can also occur. Both can work in unison, too. There is no simple solution. It is a complex international market where the value of the currency against the Dollar or Euro may play an important part, as well.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Average prices decreased slightly before Xmas similar to the previous year. We cannot say whether they will stay or continue to rise before Valentine day.

I''m going to post more detailed charts in a minute

1_3_F_H_VVS2_SI1_Dec05.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Leonid''s charts serve to prove the complexity of the answer that might answer your question. These charts show prices fell, in general, at the end of 2005 although wholesale costs did not decrease. This is what I told you, but with a lot more detail. If Leonid posted the relatonship of the Dollar to other currencies and the value of precious metals during these periods, you might see further trends along with common tendencies. Each one has variables that are unique, but some have shared variables, too.

The largest factors in price rises are large changes in wholesale costs and in the arbitrary tightening of supplies. These are far from being the only factors.

ssteigs

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info guys.

I guess to get down to the nitty gritty of my question. Do you know if retail prices or RAP has gone up or down for a
1.50 qt, H/I color, SI1 princess cut since July?
The dealer im working with qoutes me a percent off the normal price(he uses RAP) when he prices. He does adjust for cut as well. He is family friend so he is not attempting to use RAP to make like Im getting a deal. But in general he tells me GIA he can sell me at 30% below RAP and EGL is 40% below RAP. The adjustments for cut are usually about 5% up or down on the discount. He is also handpicking the diamonds for cut before I even see what he has.

I originally bought a diamond from him in July but am in the process of exchanging it(due to color concerns). I havent asked him yet if the prices have changed. I just wanted to be prepared if they rose dramatically.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you examine the proper chart above, you''ll see the prices listed on Pricescope have risen and fallen since July and right now seem just about the same as July. The tend seems downward, but there is little room to go lower.

ssteigs

Rough_Rock
Thanks Oldminer,

I saw the princess chart right after I posted.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results