shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Price Opinions - Round 1.2ct .....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BSM88

Rough_Rock

Hi Diamond Gurus,

First time buyer. This is my first post on this forum. :) Need help on this 1.2ct stone.

I am looking for a ring for my partner and have been doing a bit of research.
I have come across a shop in my country where they seem to be very helpful and know what they are talking about.

I have been given a quote on the following diamond but to me it seems very expensive compared to prices overseas (ie. USA) For the price I could book a trip to NY and get a ring and still possibly be less!!! + I would of got a trip out of it.

Here are the specs for what was quoted to me:
Round Brilliant 1.2ct
Colour: E
Clarity: VS2
Cut: Excellent
table-55.4
depth-62.0
pavillion angle-41.8
crown angle-33.2
culet-none
Girdle: Medium 3%
measurement- 6.94 x 6.99 x 4.32
No flouro.
It has an HRD certificate and a local cert as well which is based in GIA. But doesnt have polish and symmetry like the GIA certificate.

around $15000USD (this price includes the actual ring priced at $1000USD)

Is this to much for a diamond that is not even GIA certified?

All opinions will be helpfull

Thanks

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can use the search tool to check out prices of similar above - Pricescope your DiamondBear in mind online prices are usually lower than jewellers. The diamond in question does not appear to be a good performer, very likely because of that pavilion. You could do better, have you seen this diamond in person? If you are set on this diamond then i would advise comparing it to diamonds of known cut quality such as ASG0 to get a comparison. If you are having trouble knowing what to look for with proportions, here are some numbers you can use which can help you find a well cut stone.

depth - 60 - 62% - although my personal preference is to allow up to 62.4%
table - 54- 57%
crown angle - 34- 35 degrees
pavilion angle - 40.6- 41 degrees
girdle - avoid extremes, look for thin to slightly thick, thin to medium etc
polish and symmetry - very good and above

note - with crown and pavilion angles at the shallower ends ( CA 34- PA 40.6) and steeper ( CA 35- PA 41) check to make sure these angles complement in that particular diamond - eyeballs, Idealscope, trusted vendor input - check as appropriate!

Also to get angles which are complimentary if you are not sure, here are the cliff's notes from one of our experts to help you further, these are very useful for using with GIA reports as the numbers are rounded.

"Cliff's Notes" for staying near Tolkowsky/ideal angles with GIA reports (their numbers are rounded): A crown angle of 34.0, 34.5 or 35.0 is usually safe with a 40.8 pavilion angle. If pavilion angle = 40.6 lean toward a 34.5-35.0 crown. If pavilion angle = 41 lean toward a 34.0-34.5 crown.

Also did you want an E colour in particular? You could drop the colour and still have a very white diamond, but if you prefer an E then feel free to ignore that advice!

BSM88

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help!

Could you guys reccomend any good diamond vendors in NY?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/11/2008 11:59:50 PM
Author: BSM88
Thanks for the help!

Certainly I can.

www.goodoldgold.com is in Long Island, if you wanted to go in person, ring Jon and make an appointment, he has an excellent rep here.

Also www.engagementringsdirect.com are on 47th St in the DD, Mark also has an excellent rep here.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2008 4:30:00 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 10/11/2008 11:59:50 PM
Author: BSM88
Thanks for the help!

Certainly I can.

www.goodoldgold.com is in Long Island, if you wanted to go in person, ring Jon and make an appointment, he has an excellent rep here.

Also www.engagementringsdirect.com are on 47th St in the DD, Mark also has an excellent rep here.
Great advice Lorelie as usual, I just had to post beacuse of your hilarious new avatar!
Oh my, when I saw the bunny with the pumpkin on its head I laughed out loud!
36.gif
9.gif

Hi BSM, I second making an appt at GOG - I purchased a 1.25 ct fantastic RB from there recently, you can see pic in my avatar and thread link here..
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-wonderful-e-ring-upgrade-thankyou.89827/
Jon will teach you all you want to know about diamond education, and you will get a gorgeous stone at the end!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/12/2008 4:42:57 AM
Author: arjunajane

Date: 10/12/2008 4:30:00 AM
Author: Lorelei
Great advice Lorelie as usual, I just had to post beacuse of your hilarious new avatar!
Oh my, when I saw the bunny with the pumpkin on its head I laughed out loud!
36.gif
9.gif
Hehehe!!!
face20.gif
It was a custom job done by the same artistic genius who did the eyelashes.....ellen.....
41.gif

BSM88

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the feedback! thats great to hear. I''ll most likely be going to america to buy my partner her desired ring :D.

I''ve heard alot of good things about Mark T at Engagement rings direct, but his web site doesnt seem to work.
Does anyone know his email so I can contact him.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results