shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond not matching GIA cert? help!

moomax

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I've been shopping around for a diamond and recently came across a local jeweler who offered what appears to be a pretty good price for a stone I want however, I'm not sure if it's really GIA certified as he claims. While the GIA report he gave me listed as valid on the GIA website, I noticed the inclusions don't seem to be lining up from stone to the sheet. Then again, maybe I'm miss understanding the level of detail and markings on the GIA cert?

I attached a picture below to help give a better idea what I'm talking about. But my main issues are:

1.) Two areas listed as clouds on the GIA cert look more like a long thin balloon trapped under the diamonds surface. It sort of looks like what would happen if you blew air into jellow. (A hollow looking squiggly path in the middle of a solid substance) I thought clouds were supposed to look more like a bunch of small dots?

2.) Next to the two questionable "clouds", I see a scratch / line in the diamond that doesn't appear on the GIA cert.

3.) The GIA cert claims there are two needles in the upper left of the diamond yet I don't see any of them in the stone itself.

4.) There is another scratch / line in the upper left of the stone which doesn't appear on the GIA cert/

5.) The GIA report says there as some small crystals spread throughout however, I don't see any. (I thought they would appear as little black specs?)

The weight of the diamond on the scale matched what was on the cert. (1.11 carats) The stone measurements were very very close to what was listed as well. The width was spot on at 6.71mm but the depth read as 4.04 mm instead of 4.05 but I'd imagine thats just a tool precision error?

diamondcert.png

What do you guys think? How accurate is the GIA cert diagram to whats actually on the stone itself? Do you think this guy is trying to commit fraud here? or does he seem legit?

In case your curious the stone details are:
Carat: 1.11
Cut: EX
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Polish: EX
Sym: EX
Flour: none
58 table / 60.2 depth

The price he's giving is $7600

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Date of report? Does the report note any girdle inscriptions that you can match to the stone?

The inclusion plot is only meant as a rough guide. Crystals can be any color, even colorless. If you are interested in what inclusions may look like this page provide good descriptions and magnified images: http://www.allaboutgemstones.com/diamond_inclusion_library.html

If you are really concerned, I think it's a good idea to seek out the opinion of an independent appraiser to see whether the stone matches the report and is in the same condition as noted in the report.

bagelboy

Shiny_Rock
I would take the diamond to a local appraiser. Sometimes a jeweler can accidently mix up stones in a parcel. The plots are not always exactly as how they should be in my opinion, but GIA has their ways. You should ALWAYS have any diamond that you buy examined by a professional appraiser. I doubt that any jeweler would knowing commit fraud, but accidents do happen from time to time.

moomax

Rough_Rock
The report is dated June 27 2011.
The report is number: 1129269042 which can be looked up on http://www.gia.edu/reportcheck/
The only way I could bring it to another place to be appraised would be to buy it first right? I mean I feel like the jeweler wouldnt just let me walk out with his stone to have it inspected? But then what if I buy it, bring it to another place and they say its not what the cert says, wouldn't I be stuck with it?

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
moomax|1342797622|3237209 said:
The report is dated June 27 2011.
The report is number: 1129269042 which can be looked up on http://www.gia.edu/reportcheck/
The only way I could bring it to another place to be appraised would be to buy it first right? I mean I feel like the jeweler wouldnt just let me walk out with his stone to have it inspected? But then what if I buy it, bring it to another place and they say its not what the cert says, wouldn't I be stuck with it?

Where are you buying from? Almost anywhere has a return period so you can return the stone if you're not satisfied. In my opinion, the bottom/right half of the stone looks spot on with the report to me. They are seeing the same things as you and have labeled them properly as far as I'm concerned. There are discrepancies on the other half of the diamond between the report and what you claim you're seeing, but without seeing the stone myself, I can't really comment.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
OK if you have not bought the stone and have reason to question the vendor's integrity, why would you consider buying from the vendor? :confused: It's not a particularly rare or hard to find combo and the price is simply on par with similar stones listed on JA.

moomax

Rough_Rock
Well I don't have much reason to question the vendors integrity. He let me take the stone outside to look at it in natural light and flipped it upside down against a white background for me to look and he took measurements in front of me. I guess I'm just paranoid given the cost of these things.

Does anyone know if a single "needle" mark on a gia cert can represent multiple? Like I can't fully remember but I thought the stone I saw under the microscope had a few scratch like markings next to each other on the top right and not a single mark like on the cert. (kind of like someone taking a pen and going back and forth a few times)

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
:lol: Alright. I think it's possible that GIA simply considered that to be one big needle and plotted it as such. Perhaps ask to see other stones and compare inclusions with the plots as well? Maybe seeing more examples in person would put you more at ease.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
yeah I agree with thmbok, take a look at a couple more stone and compare them to their plots and see if that helps. I didn't look up your report, but sometimes it will say under comments...additional clouds not shown or pinpoints not shown. Or clarity is based on clouds not shown, which is a warning sign by the way. So, it is possible that there will be inclusions in the stone that are not plotted, so don't panic if you find them.

DiamondBrokersofFlorida

Shiny_Rock
Trade
You need to express your concerns to the vendor and have them look at the stone with you under the scope. They should be able to answer any of your concerns . It is possible that you might be looking at dust on the stone and thinking it is something else like a scratch.
Don't be afraid to ask them while you are looking .

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And never, ever buy a diamond retail without a return period. That is a big red flag when a vendor doesn't allow unconditional returns.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results