shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond looks "dirty" in direct sun/led light?

adrift02

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

So i've noticed something wierd with the diamond in my fiance's ring. If i'm looking at it in direct sun or led light from my phone, it looks "dirty". I don't know how else to explain it except it looks like it's filled with "whisps" of dirt...possibly just on the outside. In diffused lighting it's really white and clear, looks very pure. Even in sun or led it sparkles like mad. But taking a hard look at the stone reveals the odd "dirty" look. Is this "cloudyness"? I'll admit it could be the result of so many tiny reflections but unless someone else can say that's what they experienced I don't think so...I havnt been able to do a really good cleaning yet but i did scrub it with dish soap then distilled water using cuetips. While the stone looked cleaner and more polished all around it had the same effect under that lighting (and we have only had it like 4 days).

Thanks for the help. The diamond is an E color, triple 000 AGS from WF, SI1 but no clouds are listed as inclusions (very clean minus a feather outside of the table).

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the fluorescence grade?
It should be on your AGS report.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
does it look dark?

adrift02

Rough_Rock
It has no florescence according to the AGS report. Yes, it goes dark all over like normal and returns lots of fire/scintillation. It looks great from a normal distance, but if you take a close look at the diamond in this light you can see the "dirtiness" I'm talking about. It's weird because in diffused lighting it looks so clear and bright white.

Here is the WF link: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2587974.htm

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
My stone looks dirty in some lighting. You know why? It is dirty ;)) And you can really see grease in the sun and in some/most jewelry store lighting, which somehow allows the dirt on the pavilion to be seen in my experience. If your fiance has owned the ring for more than about 2-3 days and has been wearing it, even with at home cleaning, I have found that dirt accumulates.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine does this too - some lights (direct sunlight, say, like you have found) really highlight every speck of dust on the stone! Give it a soak and wipe it down with a microfibre dust-free cloth (not a paper towel), and you should see some improvement.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1307379546|2939030 said:
Mine does this too - some lights (direct sunlight, say, like you have found) really highlight every speck of dust on the stone! Give it a soak and wipe it down with a microfibre dust-free cloth (not a paper towel), and you should see some improvement.

But does that clean the PA? I have found that to be nigh impossible, but I have not been the best clearner out there I admit :oops:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1307380537|2939044 said:
Yssie|1307379546|2939030 said:

But does that clean the PA? I have found that to be nigh impossible, but I have not been the best clearner out there I admit :oops:

It does if you twist a corner and floss under the head 8)

adrift02

Rough_Rock
Ok, glad to hear that dirt is still the most likely scenario. Didn't know if this was a sign of something else as I cleaned the top fairly well but not the pavilion, so maybe it just needs a good soak and thorough cleaning. I'll do that today and see if it helps.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results