shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond looks bigger with plain shank?

P

PierreBear

Hi PS Friends! I got a glimpse of a beautiful ring in person the other day and perhaps my tastes have changed but I wasn't sure if it was setting admiration or diamond admiration. The ring I saw was a simple round brilliant (looked like 2 ct plus or maybe even 3) that was set in 4 prongs with a plain shank. Just classic and beautiful!

I know that my stone faces up more like a 1.3 ct but I was wondering if the shared prong shank on my ring actually makes the stone look smaller since there is just so much going on? Is it a illusion that a plain shank will make a diamond look bigger? Or it's really the 2 ct or 3 ct that really just made my jaw drop as the focus was truly on the stone.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

20160725_070342.jpg

20160324_161722.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont think the pave makes your stone look smaller. I think the width of a ring can make a stone seem smaller. Too wide of a single
shank setting can make a stone look smaller to me. A few people want a setting where the stone and the shank are almost the
same width (like a 6 mm stone with a 4-5mm band). It gives more of an overall look then to put emphasis on the stone (IMO).
Nothing wrong with that if that's what a person wants.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a big fan of a plain shank and I think it does make the diamond pop more thereby making it appear bigger. It allows the focus to be on the center diamond.

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Generally, I think it is the thickness of the shank that contributes to the enhancement or illusion of a bigger stone.

In your case, I don't think switching to a plain shank would make it seem that much bigger.

I agree with those who say a plain shank can make your eye go right to the diamond (because it is the only bling) - and therefore be a positive.

I think that your stone pops in the current setting and all factors (thin fingers, thin band/shank) help to achieve that.

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Also, what is your ring size and diamond size?

I think 2-3 carats are just jaw droppers and you can't really get that - no matter the shank. :lol: (I wish!)

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The second setting that I had for my pear had diamond shoulders. Now it's plain & it definitely does pop more & gets many more compliments than when it was all just 'sparkly'. I'm not agreeing either way really, but for my stone yes, it definitely looks bigger & more beautiful by itself.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
missy|1478538130|4094815 said:
I'm a big fan of a plain shank and I think it does make the diamond pop more thereby making it appear bigger. It allows the focus to be on the center diamond.

^ Exactly what I was going to say.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1478538130|4094815 said:

Totally agree with missy.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have posted about my solitaire before, but not in a long time. I had it reset to minimize the shank to the point of "invisibility" in order to set off the stone. I wish (now) that my stone were larger. (It is 1.67 carats.) At one point I had a larger stone and I couldn't wear it on my hand; I felt self-conscious about it and had it made into a necklace. But what I did with this ring was to have jackets made for it so that I could give it a different look if I wanted to. I hope that the Pricescopers who have seen this photos a hundred times will pardon me for reposting it, but it fits in this thread.

Deb :wavey:

_1496.png

agbfsideviewsolitaireknifeedge.jpg

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is beautiful! It looks lovely on your beautifully slim fingers. I wouldn't change a thing. :appl: If you are just longing to make your center pop more then yes a plain shank will achieve that, but will you miss the blingier look?

P

PierreBear

Thanks friends for the comments. I don't plan on changing my current ring (stone of 1.5 ct but faces up more like 1.3 before I found PS, ring size 3.75) but am changing some thoughts for a future upgrade in several years to come. I was toying with the idea of VC Emiliya halo look but maybe it took being in my 30s that I might actually favor that classic plain shank look with all the focus on the stone.

Follow up question... with a plain shank and a 2 ct to 3 ct round stone, does 4 prongs or 6 prongs create a different "illusion"? I tend to see larger stones be held with 6 prongs but I wasn't sure if it was because they are going for the look of a that traditional Tiffany look.

Thanks in advance!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PierreBear|1478624075|4095236 said:
Thanks friends for the comments. I don't plan on changing my current ring (stone of 1.5 ct but faces up more like 1.3 before I found PS, ring size 3.75) but am changing some thoughts for a future upgrade in several years to come. I was toying with the idea of VC Emiliya halo look but maybe it took being in my 30s that I might actually favor that classic plain shank look with all the focus on the stone.

Follow up question... with a plain shank and a 2 ct to 3 ct round stone, does 4 prongs or 6 prongs create a different "illusion"? I tend to see larger stones be held with 6 prongs but I wasn't sure if it was because they are going for the look of a that traditional Tiffany look.

Thanks in advance!

I like 6 prongs for larger stones for the following additional reasons: 1) security of the stone, 2) appears to my eyes to be more round, 3) more protection of the girdle.

I would change to the Emilya setting only if you did not plan on upgrading your stone in the future.

P

PierreBear

AGBF|1478622567|4095220 said:
I have posted about my solitaire before, but not in a long time. I had it reset to minimize the shank to the point of "invisibility" in order to set off the stone. I wish (now) that my stone were larger. (It is 1.67 carats.) At one point I had a larger stone and I couldn't wear it on my hand; I felt self-conscious about it and had it made into a necklace. But what I did with this ring was to have jackets made for it so that I could give it a different look if I wanted to. I hope that the Pricescopers who have seen this photos a hundred times will pardon me for reposting it, but it fits in this thread.

Deb :wavey:

Thank you for posting your picture and sharing your knowledge. I think the jackets was a great idea to get a different look! Have you felt differently about your ring now?

P

PierreBear

m-2-b|1478630778|4095281 said:
PierreBear|1478624075|4095236 said:

Thanks in advance!

I like 6 prongs for larger stones for the following additional reasons: 1) security of the stone, 2) appears to my eyes to be more round, 3) more protection of the girdle.

I would change to the Emilya setting only if you did not plan on upgrading your stone in the future.

Hi M2B! Thanks for your input. You are pretty much a ring idol with your great taste and attention to detail!! If I were to model your beautiful solitare ACA white flash ring but with a smaller stone, do you have a recommendation on thickness of shank that would be fitting for the proportion you created? I tried on a ring with a size 3.75 finger and felt like 2.3 ct to 2.5 ct (spread of 8.4 mm to 8.6 mm) seemed like a good size to have presence but not too large to not be a daily ring that would draw too much attention. I'm a bit uncertain oh the thickness of the shank. As others have commented, sometimes a thicker shank (I like the knife edge look!) does give the stone presence but conceptually the thinner the shank I would think would make the stone look larger in contrast? My current ring right now is a 2.2 mm I believe. I appreciate the guidance and would love to hear what you and the other ladies may think on this thickness of the shank.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I used to have a 1.3 carat with a 2mm shared prong shank. The ring was sized 6.25 - I now wear a 5.25, 2.1 carat diamond. The first setting had a 2mm plain shank, and now it's in a temporary 6 prong with a super thin shank. I think it stands out with the thin shank, but I hate the prongs. I'll eventually reset it, but my funds are going to other things right now. I miss the pave shank, but I like the stand out look of the plain solitaire.

If you want it to look bigger, a thinner shank will do that. It looks pretty big now, however, since you have very slim fingers.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is beautiful. I think a thinner shank makes the diamond look bigger. As Missy said a plain, thin band makes the diamond pop.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results