shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond help

Sunflower101

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I have selected a diamond but I wanted to get some advice on it. It is a 1.23 Round, Excellent Cut, SI2, E color, VG polish, VG symmetry. The HCA is 1.1 with all excellent. I wasn't sure about the clarity and what to be concerned about. It has Crystal, Feather, Needle, and Extra Facet. The vendor said it is eye- clean. The GIA number is 1156751571. Could anyone give me advice about it, looking at the GIA report? How much would you spend on it? Pros and Cons? The measurements are 6.98 - 7.01 x 4.17 mm. Is that large for a 1.23? Could something be wrong?

Thank you!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
The table is a little large and the polish and symmetry are very good not ideal.......Are you set on this stone?

Sunflower101

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies...I am pretty set on it unless there is something wrong with it. I would love more feedback!

caldwa

Rough_Rock
It's harder to say without photos and ASETs. How do you feel about the extra facet? Having one may not immediately rule it out, but it's difficult to say without knowing how large the extra facet is and it's location.

caldwa

Rough_Rock
A lot of the inclusion seem concentrated under the table. Have you seen the diamond in person or extensive images of it? People can have differing opinions of what "eye-clean" means, so when the vendor says that, it could mean something a little different than what you may have in mind. Just a thought. Also, the extra facet doesn't look huge...but perhaps others with more expertise on sizes of extra facets could comment on that.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
With GIA's penchant for large rounding errors, this diamond is on the border of looking hot and looking NOT. If it has a strong return policy you may want to take a look at it to see if YOUR eyes like it.

I have seen many incredible looking diamonds that were "60/60" so "60/59" could be one of those, but at a 40.6 pavilion angle with a 59% table this diamond could have very little dispersion and if those averages on the pavilion include some at 40.4 and less their could be some significant obstruction issues. Impossible to say without seeing the diamond.

Wink

Sunflower101

Rough_Rock
Oh nooo. I have not seen the diamond, pictures or an ASET. I'll ask the vendor but it might be too late because I picked a setting. I don't know a lot about extra facets and how they affect the diamond. I think I read somewhere they keep them to increase carat weight? I hope the clarity isn't so bad that it shows.

As far as the dispersion and obstruction, I don't know if I will know the difference of what it should look like versus a bad one. If I show it to a diamond expert while it's already mounted will they know if it's a dud? I know it's silly that I wouldn't know the difference so then why should I care---but it's so expensive--might as well have a nice one. I just guessed if it had a good HCA then it was nice. Woops! So if the numbers aren't right at 40.6, it would look really bad? Any suggestions on what a good price would be for it? There's a 30 day return so I guess if its bad I can return it!

Thank you for the info!!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sunflower101|1397932532|3656187 said:
Oh nooo. I have not seen the diamond, pictures or an ASET. I'll ask the vendor but it might be too late because I picked a setting. I don't know a lot about extra facets and how they affect the diamond. I think I read somewhere they keep them to increase carat weight? I hope the clarity isn't so bad that it shows.

As far as the dispersion and obstruction, I don't know if I will know the difference of what it should look like versus a bad one. If I show it to a diamond expert while it's already mounted will they know if it's a dud? I know it's silly that I wouldn't know the difference so then why should I care---but it's so expensive--might as well have a nice one. I just guessed if it had a good HCA then it was nice. Woops! So if the numbers aren't right at 40.6, it would look really bad? Any suggestions on what a good price would be for it? There's a 30 day return so I guess if its bad I can return it!

Thank you for the info!!

When a diamond is polished, there can sometimes be a tiny bit of the original skin of the diamond crystal that remains attached to the diamond. To remove this an extra facet is added at that point. They can be very small to quite large, depending on how big the irregularity in the diamond crystal was that caused the skin to remain attached.

I used to see a lot of these bigger extra facets on diamonds with extremely thick girdles which were indeed cut only to retain weight. I do not see many of these now, hopefully because they are in fact becoming more rare, but also due to the fact that I can now weed such junk out long before I would ever need to see it.

In the not so old days of twenty to thirty years ago it was not possible to see the world's diamonds with the click of a mouse and we would call our suppliers with a request for a nice one carat and five to ten days later it would be delivered for us to show our client. Many times it would be garbage, even though we had specified what we wanted.

There was no AGS Laboratory. There was no GIA cut grade, even one so primitive as what we have from GIA today.

As to whether you can see if the diamond is a dud once it is mounted.

Sadly, yes. If the diamond suffers from too much obstruction you will notice that, especially once you have seen a nice diamond with explosive brilliance and great dispersion. You have jumped into the fray without taking the time to verify that you have made a good choice. We will hope for you that you have, but I think the extra facet is the least of your concerns.

Wink

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results