shape
carat
color
clarity

diamond help.. new nice cut versus old questionable cut

Laughingswordfish

Rough_Rock
Hi all, first time posting. So I've been searching forever for diamonds - after much research I was aiming for something like

H VS2 .70 ct ideal cut. I've been punching numbers into the Holloway Cut Adviser (mainly been looking at Blue Nile since they have the GIA certs there) and trying to find just the perfect stone. After long amounts of looking I ended up in an entirely different direction and started looking at some antique/art deco/older rings and started finding some beautiful rings.

Long story short I found a ring I like, has .68 ct E/F VS1 center stone (so sounds decent). The diamond is set in platinum and from the 1950's so the only cert is an EGL and the stone was measured in the setting. I asked for and received the EGL cert but as it was measured as set there isn't much info .

Depth: 53.9%
Table: 69%
Crown ?
Pavillion ?
Culet Small
Girdle Thin to slightly thick

5.45-5.40 x 2.91 mm

So right away of course that is a very large table and is shallow, crown/pavillion angles not provided.

I initially had my heart set on a perfect cut diamond and was okay with going a smaller size (.70ct) to get that kind of cut - then took a liking to this ring - and now am not sure what to do.

If this was a new ring sitting on a shelf I'd happily reject it - but being 60 years old (at a guess) I believe diamonds were cut with larger tables and it is a beautiful ring. My question is - at a guess is this diamond just bound to look mediocre with those dimensions? I'm willing to trade off on perfection for history and overall product, but I don't want to be disappointed with this diamond.

Any thoughts would be appreciated (it's online, so can't see in person)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results