shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Help Needed - Please Check These Stats

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PD2BEngaged

Rough_Rock
Hi All - great site. I have been checking for a few days and very impressed by the posts and knowledge. I am hopeful a few folks can chime in on the following with thoughts:

Measurements - 7.57 x 7.60 x 4.77 mm
Carat - 1.72
Color - G
Clarity - SI1
Cut Grade - Very Good
Proportion - 62.9
Table - 59
Crown Angle - 36.5
Crown Height - 15
Pavillion Angle - 41.2
Pavillion Depth - 43.5
Star Length - 50
Lower Half - 80
Girdle - Medium to Slightly Thick Faceted
Cutlet - None
Polish - Very Good
Symmetry - Excellent
Flourescense - None
Price - $15,800 at B&M Retailer

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd say no...the HCA won't even calculate a score for it. It's pretty deep too. And who is the cert from?

PD2BEngaged

Rough_Rock
Its a GIA cert. I looked at it next to a similar sized F, VS2 and also next to a Hearts of Fire that was twice the price, and was not seeing much of a difference. What else can I look for when comparing them face up to try and tell differences?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 12:37:19 AM
Author: PD2BEngaged
Its a GIA cert. I looked at it next to a similar sized F, VS2 and also next to a Hearts of Fire that was twice the price, and was not seeing much of a difference. What else can I look for when comparing them face up to try and tell differences?

Did you look at them under different lighting conditions? Especially in low light and outside, jewelers lights can be very very deceiving and make even a poorly cut diamond look nice.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i would pass on this one.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto. try to compare it in diffuse lighting, aka. no under direct strong lights, I would say then you will see alot of difference.

There is a NiceIce stone 1.706c H SI1 for $13335 with VSB if you can appreciate VSB. Crafted by Infinity stone. :D Personally I would go for this because I like VSB.
http://www.niceice.com/certcopies2008/ags0009015501/index.htm

Else similar ideal cuts will be in the I region.

GOG stone 1.70c I SI1 for $13995.
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3659/

WF ACA stone 1.703 I VS2 for $14361.
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1466936.htm

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/8/2008 12:25:55 AM
Author:PD2BEngaged
Hi All - great site. I have been checking for a few days and very impressed by the posts and knowledge. I am hopeful a few folks can chime in on the following with thoughts:

Measurements - 7.57 x 7.60 x 4.77 mm
Carat - 1.72
Color - G
Clarity - SI1
Cut Grade - Very Good
Proportion - 62.9
Table - 59
Crown Angle - 36.5
Crown Height - 15
Pavillion Angle - 41.2
Pavillion Depth - 43.5
Star Length - 50
Lower Half - 80
Girdle - Medium to Slightly Thick Faceted
Cutlet - None
Polish - Very Good
Symmetry - Excellent
Flourescense - None
Price - $15,800 at B&M Retailer
I would DEFINITELY pass on this diamond, it may look ok in some lights, but in others it won't, you want a better cut stone which will shine and sparkle, this stone will leak light and look dark in some lighting.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 12:37:19 AM
Author: PD2BEngaged
Hi PD,

This stone is what we call a classic steep/deep (crown and pavilion angles). The short version of that means light leakage, and at this degree there is sure to be some, possibly a good amount. You can search on here for more indepth info if you'd like. It's just not close to a well cut stone, and cut is everything in a diamond if you want it to perform well. I too say pass, I know you can do better.
28.gif

Here's a short guideline to stick by:

table 54-58

depth 60-62.2

girdle thin, med., slightly thick, or a combination thereof

cut excellent

polish and symmetry very good or better

crown angle 34-35

pavilion angle 40.6-41

AGS0 stones will take a lot of the guesswork out, though they may cost a bit more. As for GIA stones, they are trickier because GIA rounds their numbers, and allow a much broader range for Ex cut. So here's a cheat sheet to use with them.

With that said, here's a "Cliff's Notes" for staying near Tolkowsky/ideal angles with GIA reports (their numbers are rounded): A crown angle of 34.0, 34.5 or 35.0 is usually safe with a 40.8 pavilion angle. If pavilion angle = 40.6 lean toward a 34.5-35.0 crown. If pavilion angle = 41 lean toward a 34.0-34.5 crown.

Hope this helps!

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
I''m afraid I have to concur as well; this stone doesn''t hold much hope for great performance.

I think you can do much better with your budget.

I sense that you are trying to go as ''big'' as possible, but ''big'' doesn''t mean carat. Carat is a weight, not a dimension. The measurements of this stone (7.57mm) reveal that it''s actually no bigger in diameter than a well-cut stone weight 1.55-1.60 carats. In this stone, you''re paying for weight, not size.

Beyond that, because it''s a steep/deep, it will leak light and therefore LOOK smaller, too.

For that same budget or *less*, you can buy a superior cut stone around 1.55-1.6 in the G/H, SI1 range that would far out-sparkle the stone you''ve listed.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ditto the posts above.

Neatfreak, maybe those numbers startled the HCA at first...
2.gif
here you go.

hca-59-629-365-412.jpg

PD2BEngaged

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the help. I''ll definitely take a look at the stone outside to see what might drop off. As mentioned in another post, when comparing to a $30K HOF I didn''t see a difference, so it could be lighting, as well as my untrained eye.
2.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 11:40:02 AM
Author: John Pollard
Ditto the posts above.

Neatfreak, maybe those numbers startled the HCA at first...
2.gif
here you go.

Lol. Thanks John, guess it didn''t like it when I put it in! Point is still the same. Pass!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results