shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Garland Band

Aicila

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice on a setting that I am very interested in.

My SO and I are hoping to get engaged soon but I don’t want to do the traditional solitaire. I know I won’t wear it as much with my lifestyle and I know that the odds of me constantly taking it off and potentially losing it, will definitely be higher than with a band. Having said that, I still want some sparkle and good finger coverage, which is why I am thinking of doing a garland-style band.

My searches for similar-style bands led me to PS and dreamer_daschie’s Aurora band. It’s exactly what I’m looking for but I’ve done a lot of reading and I have a couple concerns –

1. Is the shared prong setting safe for the stones? I know myself and if I have to baby the ring by taking it off to cook or shower, I just won’t wear it at all after some time. Is this sort of setting a high-maintenance one?

2. I’ve seen two versions of the prong setting for this ring (see below attachments). Is there one version that may be more secure or should I combine a version of both?
Option1.png Option2.png
3. Will this type of ring damage other rings that are stacked with it? I intend to stack 2-3 rings on my finger but I’m thinking the prongs on this setting could damage another ring?

4. What kind of wedding band would you pair with this ring?

I’d love to hear your thoughts and advice as I want to make the right decision when it comes to this ring. Thank you!

Reactions: AV_

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this is higher maintenance than a solitaire. The more stones, the more prongs, the more likely damage. What about an eternity of bezeled stones? Or even a single row eternity instead of garland?

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hope this isn't too big when I post it.. I like this one and I tend to love stones bezeled, I think the full eternity garland would eventually hurt, it's one of the reasons why I never get a full eternity (of course I could be talked into a 4ct emerald cut diamonds great quality and color but as they say 'forget about it!').. I like your taste in a unique ring... it's beautiful!

garland image.jpg

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Have you had a chance to try on a ring that is the style you posted?
I have a hard time with eternities that feel thick between my fingers---and know that I would probably damage the ring on the bottom of my finger. That's why I selected a 5 stone with a plain back.
The bezel type setting like Tekate posted would probably hold up better.
What about something that is only half eternity? Might be more comfortable and would allow some sizing. Because with age, babies, weight fluctuations your ring size may not stay the same.
Other idea would be a Tiffany Etoile style band which is smooth and more easily worn against a plain band. Have you seen Cartier rolling rings with diamonds--that is another idea.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t speak to what will be comfortable for you / maybe see if you can find something similar with CZs and try how it feels.
I personally don’t think that ring looks high maintenance (get one well made of course). It’s the diamonds that scratch, so make sure the girdles aren’t exposed. Of course any metal scratches metal, but the bigger problem is always diamonds “eating away” at another band. Again - I think this could be addressed. If you DO happen to like bezels, of course they are safe and secure.
In terms of eternities - well, that’s the eternal (ha ha) question. I prefer eternities and I wear my eternity from 25 years ago when I got married, but ppl are right that it can’t (easily) be sized. A sizing bar might help. My fingers are skinniest at the base, so I’m prone to spinning. If yours aren’t like that 1/2 or 3/4 band will probably sit in place.
Good luck.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the garland style dimond bands are beautiful, but high maintenance as there are tons of diamonds. It needs to be babied or you could be losing stones. What about a classic 5 stone band? I think you get a LOT more bling for your buck, as you can do 5 x 0.25 stones, or even 5 x .40. They are usually pretty solid, and only 5 stones to worry about.

Have you seen the 5 stone ring thread on PS?

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Agree that full eternities with stones that are larger than small melee can potentially bother you between your fingers, and of course, sizing is difficult. For a non traditional e-ring I think the suggestion of a 5 stone (or maybe a 7 stone?) that sits low to the fingers is good and is really a nice look stacked. I like bezels as well because is the diamonds that eat in to your other rings when the girdles are exposed. Metal against metal will scratch some, but it's the diamond edges you have to worry about eating in to any other bands. I imagine it would be worse the larger the stone rubbing against a band.

Depending on your finger size, 5x.25 or 5x.30 would be nicely blingy and span the top of your finger. My finger size ranges a little depending on the time of day and weather from 6--ish to 6.5-ish and I have a 5x.20 band that covers most of the top curve of my finger. If I had gotten it with bezels, it would have given even little more coverage....

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely high maintenance. I would be tempted with a bezel set band or channel set eternity style, as others have mentioned.

But what an exciting time for you!

Aicila

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for responding. Everyone has been so incredibly helpful and given me a lot to think about.

One point that I forgot to mention - this will be a half eternity ring as I don't think I would find the full eternity too comfortable. Plus, the price of the full just isn't worth it for diamonds that I won't see.

But the suggestion of a 5-stone is an intriguing one and I will also look into that option which I had not previously considered.

Aicila

Rough_Rock
I have been looking at this 7-stone band. It's by Kobelli and is 1.26 cts. What are your thoughts on the designer and the practicality of the setting?

62468D_B_31.jpg

62468D_H_31.jpg

Each stone is secured by six prongs which I think should ensure that none of the diamonds fall out. And there aren't a lot of smaller stones to worry about. I also really like the floralesque look that the prongs give the diamonds.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like this! The prongs are so that you could also stack it without worry about the girdles!

I don't know anything about the designer though.

Aicila

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the response ceg! Re: Kobelli, based on a quick search, it seems that catmom's FLY ring is in a Kobelli setting so that reassures me as it is a beautiful ring.

I am excited about this ring as it seems sturdy and is the right carat weight and style.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Aicila I love it!! Can you please tell me where you found it, or link it online? I'd totally get one too. I like the floral look of the 6 prongs. :kiss2:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the response ceg! Re: Kobelli, based on a quick search, it seems that catmom's FLY ring is in a Kobelli setting so that reassures me as it is a beautiful ring.

I am excited about this ring as it seems sturdy and is the right carat weight and style.

Thank you Aicila! I can tell you that even after all these years I have never lost a stone or had any problems with this setting and I wear it doing everything except for showering.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear an eternity as an engagement ring also - great choice! I LOVE the garland bands, but I would agree that you can't be really hard on an full eternity. I've been married 9 years, and for a good portion of those years I worked in a restaurant part time - my jeweler was VERY specific about not wearing the eternity band there, so I wouldn't compromise the diamonds on the underside. I have a 3 mm WG plain band that I wear whenever I think the activity is too rough for my E-band.

I do like the band you posted above too! I wanted to share the half garland band at Blue Nile, just in case you really like that style best. It has the same pattern, but only covers the top of the finger. Either way, a blingy band is a great E-ring choice - I have never regretted it!

Here's the link to the Blue Nile half garland: https://www.bluenile.com/garland-diamond-ring-platinum_42413
42413_main.jpg

Aicila

Rough_Rock
@violet3 - Thanks so much for your input. You're right, I am definitely only considering a half-eternity as the wear and tear to the bottom stones just isn't worth it and I'm sure I would find a way to destroy the diamonds. I saw the BN ring but based on my perusal of a different forum (WeddingBee), it seems a user there had the half-eternity garland band and within a couple months 3 stones were loose. Even after tightening the prongs a second time, they became loose again so I'm not sure if the style is the issue or the quality but I'm afraid to take chances.

Having a comfortable, durable ring is even more important to me because unlike the vast majority of PS users, I am not based in the US and jewellers here are nothing more than store owners or sales assistants. Fixing the ring just isn't an option. They literally can't do anything besides resizing so I want something that won't require constant prong maintenance, replacement of lost stones etc.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
My 5-stone band has six prongs on each diamond and it seems very secure, even with the tiny little prongs. Mine is an antique/vintage ring with OECs and I wear it everywhere (often on my left hand these days), yoga, gardening, etc. I do inspect the prongs and had them professionally looked at a couple years ago when I had one of the diamonds recut (it had a very small chip which was able to be polished out). I think a 5 stone is an extremely wearable style and mine is super easy to stack (I stack with a bunch of bands, depending on my mood). I'll attach some photos.

pink nails.jpg
12741985_887903493564_4366895620869533697_n.jpg
hand shot.jpg
IMG_2848.JPG
img_15003.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your taste and think the idea of a half eternity for an engagement ring is fantastic. I love eternities/half eternities stacked with plain wedding bands, it's my favourite look. My e-ring is a graduated 5-stone and each diamond is held in place with 6 prongs, so nice and secure.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your style!

And I would say: try on some 5-stones. Which country are you in? Costco has decent prices...

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Agreed that 6 prong settings seem more secure and IMO, look better!

CVB Norah has 6 prong settings (the one I have) and I love it! Mine is a 7 stone ring.

Attachments

• 5627D8BD-1ED2-4741-B4CA-898EB8E260E9.jpeg
    5627D8BD-1ED2-4741-B4CA-898EB8E260E9.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 13

Aicila

Rough_Rock
@Dandi, @pearaffair, @Crystal_Dreams and @pinkgem2522 - Thank you for your kind words. My sincere apologies on the late response, I don't know why I never got alerts about the last few responses.
To answer the question re: location, I am in Trinidad. :)

We are finalising details with the vendor and I will post pics once we get the ring.
Does anyone have a ring with 18 pointers? I just want to get a sense of finger coverage as I cannot try on before. :kiss2:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a 7 stone with 20 pointers so close to what you'll have.
2016-01-28 12.49.26.jpg 2016-02-19 15.30.01.jpg real life view.jpg

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
B3CF41DD-BB60-465D-AB55-6A04972C30AB.jpeg
I am am odd ball in that half (7 or 5 stones) bands aren’t comfy for me - I feel the transition. I wear a full eternity, 2.75 carat platinum band daily. I had it sized a third larger than my wedding band to account for life. As you can see the band is pretty ‘beefy’ to minimize prong damage, snags. I will say that means you see the metal more than perhaps you’d like but it makes it pretty sturdy.

But totally agree that if you’ve never worn a full
Eternity band of this size, give it a trial run with a CZ band. Some folks HATE the feeling of the ring depth between their fingers and never get used to it.

Aicila

Rough_Rock
Thanks @tyty333, @violet3 and @caolsen :)

I was toying with the idea of going up to 25 pointers but I feel like that may be uncomfortable between my fingers. The 18 pointer seems to have good finger coverage.

For people with similar engagement or wedding rings, what did you or would you pair this ring with? A plain band? A thin pave eternity? Something else? I like the look of a horizontal baguette ring but not sure if they will 'go' together.

diamond-bagguette-round-briliant-cut-eterntiy-band-beverly-k-mystique-jewelers-1.jpg

Untitled.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results