shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Fund sacrifices

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Hello everyone.
So I''ve been saving up for diamond studs (around 1.5 tcw or bigger!), but was thinking I would give the money to my DH for his 30th birthday to put towards his motorcycle fund which is currently non-existent. Last summer he sold his beloved motorcycle to pay for a car and was pretty much heart broken. I know he will be so happy that I am supporting his love for bikes, but I''m a little sad that my studs will have to wait. Anyone else put their diamond fund toward something else? (I realize I am lucky that my diamond fund is not having to be used for an emergency of some sort.)

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hi tigian :)

yes! i''ve dumped the whole thing on occasion - normally for emergency vet bills or emergency trips home. last year tim (husband) had to go home suddenly to australia, and i didnt want to be here in NY alone. so - we paid for his ticket, then paid to fly over my best friend, and boarded our dogs for part of that time - and basically lost around, i guess, 8k from my 25th wedding anniversary jewelry fund. and now we''ve decided to go home again in august this year - so - two more tickets, more dog boarding, and another 7k (flights are a bit cheaper at the moment). so - the 15k we were going to spend on a nice big ring or earrings for me - poof! gone!

one of my dogs was very ill last year also - very unexpectedly - and we paid about a thousand dollars a week on tests and vets in general every week for 8 weeks. so that was the end of a few other things we''d planned.

i think God thinks i have enough jewelry....

:S

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I think its so sweet that you want to do that for your DH. Is there a way you guys could split the money between a studs fund and a motorcycle fund and keep adding to both? Then you could maybe get your treats at the same time
1.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t had to "give" on my fund...heck, I don''t even have a fund. But, I wanted to lend support because what you''re doing is a very wonderful, loving thing. My husband rides motorcycles (
32.gif
) too. I know how much Mark loves them, and if your husband is anything like mine, he''ll be over the moon! What a loving birthday gift!

And, besides, it''s not like diamonds are falling off the face of the Earth...you''ll be able to get them someday I am sure!

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 2:33:59 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
I haven''t had to ''give'' on my fund...heck, I don''t even have a fund. But, I wanted to lend support because what you''re doing is a very wonderful, loving thing. My husband rides motorcycles (
32.gif
) too. I know how much Mark loves them, and if your husband is anything like mine, he''ll be over the moon! What a loving birthday gift!

And, besides, it''s not like diamonds are falling off the face of the Earth...you''ll be able to get them someday I am sure!

cracked me up, italianhaircolor!

you are so right!

tigisn - i failed to say before - and should have - i think what you''re contemplating is a very kind thing. your husband is going ot love you all the more because of it great choice! having a husband who adores you is the best possible investment in one''s future. no ring on the planet can match that.

besides, i have it on the best authority....

it''s not like diamonds are falling off the face of the Earth...

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I had been secretly stashing money for my upgrade and I instead used it to buy dh a birthday gift that he had been lusting after but wouldn''t spend the money on. He does so much for me that it made me happier to see him happy. In the end though, it worked in my favour! I think my act of generosity inspired him and my upgrade came much, much faster than I was planning. I believe that when you do good things for others, that comes back to you!

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 6:25:53 PM
Author: whitby_2773
Date: 4/22/2009 2:33:59 PM

Author: Italiahaircolor

I haven''t had to ''give'' on my fund...heck, I don''t even have a fund. But, I wanted to lend support because what you''re doing is a very wonderful, loving thing. My husband rides motorcycles (
32.gif

cracked me up, italianhaircolor!

you are so right!

tigisn - i failed to say before - and should have - i think what you''re contemplating is a very kind thing. your husband is going ot love you all the more because of it great choice! having a husband who adores you is the best possible investment in one''s future. no ring on the planet can match that.

besides, i have it on the best authority....

it''s not like diamonds are falling off the face of the Earth...

36.gif
36.gif
LOL Thank god diamonds are not falling off the face of the Earth!

Whitby-"having a husband who adores you is the best possible investment in one''s future. no ring on the planet can match that." When I read that, I knew there is no question in my mind I want to give him my diamond fund. Thanks for the encouraging words. You are so wise!!!! Hope your doggie is ok now.

Upgrade-You are so right! I know that when my husband finishes school, he will want to treat me. He already treats me really well, but hopefully he can afford to do the things that he wants to do.

AmberGretchen-Thanks for responding! I love the ring in your avatar by the way.
30.gif
I''m thinking I''ll keep 1/4 of the fund so that my diamond fund won''t be at zero. Hope I can get my studs before he gets his bike. (Bike is more expensive)

Italiahaircolor-Thanks for the support! I had to laugh when I read your post. I''m not crazy about my husband riding motorcycles, but there is no way I would ask him not to. I think it''s in his blood. I just pray that other people on the road see him! Do you like riding too? I''m kind of a scaredy cat and have to be convinced everytime I get on the back of a bike.

I would love to hear other people''s experiences.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Thank you tigian - that ring was a special treat from me to me to celebrate a big accomplishment
2.gif

I think keeping part of the fund is a great idea and then you guys can both be saving together to get something nice for each of you
1.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I did. I had a "fun money" savings account, and I was planning to use that money for a pair of diamond studs (I didn''t have a pair at the time). However, DH had been talking forever about wanting a huge flatscreen TV. So, instead of buying myself the studs, I used the money for a 46" top-of-the-line Sony Bravia for his b-day that year. He was totally floored, and he was so happy.

I had never spent that type of money on a gift before, but to see how happy it made him was totally worth it.

And, the story even has a happy ending. Later that year, I downgraded my 2.25 ct asscher to a 2.01 ct RB, and since I had to spend the difference in price on another item from the jewelry store, I got my diamond studs too, and I only had to pay $100 for them (above the trade-in value)
emteeth.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2009 1:47:07 PM
Author: vespergirl
I did. I had a ''fun money'' savings account, and I was planning to use that money for a pair of diamond studs (I didn''t have a pair at the time). However, DH had been talking forever about wanting a huge flatscreen TV. So, instead of buying myself the studs, I used the money for a 46'' top-of-the-line Sony Bravia for his b-day that year. He was totally floored, and he was so happy.

I had never spent that type of money on a gift before, but to see how happy it made him was totally worth it.

And, the story even has a happy ending. Later that year, I downgraded my 2.25 ct asscher to a 2.01 ct RB, and since I had to spend the difference in price on another item from the jewelry store, I got my diamond studs too, and I only had to pay $100 for them (above the trade-in value)
emteeth.gif
thats awesome! glad you got yours and your DH got his too
36.gif
I have some fun money too,,, and lots of time it goes to my kids and DH on gifts here and there

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2009 1:47:07 PM
Author: vespergirl
I did. I had a ''fun money'' savings account, and I was planning to use that money for a pair of diamond studs (I didn''t have a pair at the time). However, DH had been talking forever about wanting a huge flatscreen TV. So, instead of buying myself the studs, I used the money for a 46'' top-of-the-line Sony Bravia for his b-day that year. He was totally floored, and he was so happy.

emteeth.gif

Lucky duck! Your ring is really beautiful! I''m sure your studs are great as well. And if I recall correctly, you have a eternity ring on the way from WF?
I can imagine how happy your DH was with his gift. Guys and their electronics!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results