shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond fell out...better prongs?

ZhenyaH

Rough_Rock
My diamond fell out and it's no where to be found. Luckily I had it insured and although I probably wouldn't get something that's as good as the one that I previously had (since the company will replace with a stone of similar qualities (but not how well it's cut), I decided not to dwell on it.

My question is, are 6 prongs more secure than 4 prongs? I'm hard on my ring and I never ever take it off...unless I'm swimming.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depends on the setting, how thick the prongs are and how well made.

If all things are equal, you will need to break at least 3 prongs on a 6 prongs head for the stone to fall out, but just 1 prong for a 4 prongs head.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
It does seem like 6 prongs is safer, but it's all in the quality of the setting job too. Be adamant with your insurance that you carefully selected your lost diamond for it's special porportions and needs to be replaced with such.

IceExplorer

Shiny_Rock
ZhenyaH|1292448822|2797855 said:
..... although I probably wouldn't get something that's as good as the one that I previously had (since the company will replace with a stone of similar qualities (but not how well it's cut)...

Just an FYI - I don't know whom you've insured your ring and diamond through.
After speaking the Jewelers Mutual and asking if (should something happen) can I source from the same vendor?

I was told they prefer to use their own vendors but I could source from a vendor of my choice if I wish. The only stipulation is that I call them first, pay to replace the diamond, then they will reimburse me.

It might be worth checking to see with your insurance company.

When you order your setting ask the vendor for something that he/she could recommend for someone who is 'hard on their rings'.

You could also tell them it doesn't have to be waterproof because you take it off swimming! :lol: (just teasing)

ZhenyaH

Rough_Rock
I have my ring insured through USAA. The way it operates--as I understand--is that they find a replacement ring of similar qualities. But, they'll pay a lot less for the diamond (b/c it's wholesale?). I can opt to receive cash, but only for the value of the replacement stone.

For example, if I paid $5k for the original stone then the insurance company will find a similar stone that they'll purchase for $3k. I can take the stone or a check for $3k. I have a feeling that the specs (cut proportions) of the replacement stone will be inferior but I have no choice. I was feeling fine about it but this is starting to depress me.

MarkBroumand

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Honestly, a lot of people feel that way, but in reality a well set 4 prong head is just as safe as a 6 prong one.
It's more of a matter of craftsmanship.
The 6 prong will, however, make your stone look "rounder" as opposed to the 4 prong IMO.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MarkBroumand|1292451676|2797923 said:
Honestly, a lot of people feel that way, but in reality a well set 4 prong head is just as safe as a 6 prong one.
It's more of a matter of craftsmanship.
The 6 prong will, however, make your stone look "rounder" as opposed to the 4 prong IMO.

I agree with this - with the caveat that the craftmanship is of equal[ly high] quality. If one visited Joe the Jeweller to save a few $$ on the setting job (even if the setting was purchased elsewhere) and Joe the Jeweller does sub-par work, better to have 6 not-so-well-set prongs than four...

lovetorenovate

Rough_Rock
I have USAA and that's not how I understand their policy. I insured my ring for X - so if I lose the stone, that's the $ amount they give. If they can take $X and buy me a bigger/better stone in their inventory - then I can do that if I choose. USAA is really fabulous insurance, so I'd push back on this.

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My understanding from USAA is the same as lovetorenovate - that they'll pay the insured value. I'd press back, too, as this is how it was explained separately to both my husband and me.

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
Really, with most insurance companies, you pay a premium based on replacement value, often linked to your appraisal. In most cases, as the purchaser, you didn't pay the price on the appraisal. Insurance companies are notorious for attempting to find the cheapest source for replacement after charging fat premiums based on inflated appraisals.
A good insurer will ask you to do the legwork and get 3 estimates. They don't always go for the cheapest one. Generally, they will let you decide which company's estimate adequately reflects "making you whole" and will offer you the amount necessary for that to occur.

Big issue here, though. Instead of focusing on 4 or 6 claws, be steadfast in your search for a decent jeweller.

One of my local competitors was confronted by a customer of theirs who had experienced the loss of a centre stone. The retailer's sympathy was insincere and there was no responsibilty taken. The retailer basically told them that it was their fault, and that they should take it up with their insurance company.
A jewellery owner should NEVER be told that lost stones are their fault. Lost stones are a quality failure, every time, with one exception...when stones are completely broken while being worn and break into pieces.

So, better prongs, perhaps, but better craftsmanship overall is the recommendation. If the manufacturer doesn't offer some sort of workmanship guarantee, move on.

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
A few moments ago, I finished resetting a 10.27 ct oval diamond that was chronically coming loose in the setting. It's the fault of the manufacturer, whose design prowess leans heavily toward over-the-top flash. The design, which incorporated a double row of halo that effectively limited the size of the claws needed for the centre diamond....and the ring... were done specifically for this stone. To look at the ring, you would assume the maker knew what they were doing, but I lost count of how many of the small diamonds came loose or fell out during cleaning.
If I were this woman's insurer, there might have been some sleepless nights.

I removed 8 small diamonds from the inner halo and was then able to add heavier wires into the holes. Snug,with permanence...
The small stones will require constant tightening maintenance, but won't cause anywhere near the terror, if lost, that the centre stone would have.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hear about prongs failing much more often than tension setting failing.
Yet people think tension settings are so risky.

Just 2 cents.

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
Of course, Kenny, as stones are set into prong settings thousands of more times than in tension settings.
The recurrent failure issues will be reflected in those proportional differences.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TheDoctor|1292523505|2798672 said:
Of course, Kenny, as stones are set into prong settings thousands of more times than in tension settings.
The recurrent failure issues will be reflected in those proportional differences.

Granted, you can't argue with the numbers, but IMHO prongs are inherently more fragile than tension settings.
Prongs are smaller and more delicate than the big beefy continuous metal that supports the diamond in a tension setting.
For two reasons a tension setting is not going to bend back when you put your hand in your purse, your pocket or put on a sweater.
1. small points which are likely to catch on things.
2. Beefy large metal cannot be bent as easily as smaller metal.

The only way a tension setting is going to fail is with a HUGE force you'd notice.
The danger of prongs is you may never know what normal day to day action bent the prong back 6 hours ago when you put your coat on leaving that restaurant.

To loose a diamond a tension would require an enormous trauma, enough to probably send your hand to the emergency room.
To loose a diamond from a bent prong all you have to do is reach for your wallet.

I think this is key, knowing or not knowing to immediately get down on your hands and knees to look for your diamond.

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
The effectiveness and security of prong settings is absolutely dependent on the materials used and the how they are used.
If taking a coat off bends a prong, there wasn't enough energy applied in the setting process. Proper prongs don't catch, period.
A lot of manufacturers use softer alloys so that their setters break fewer stones. Yeah, they bend easily, and therein lies the problem.
If the tension-set rings were made using the same alloys as the bendy claws, they would be releasing stones as well. It's all in the material choices, and the ability of the setter to properly assess the security of each stone.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I ran a thread about it recently, I have a platinum Vatche Royal Crown, which is a 6-prong setting, holding my Eightstar diamond. I managed to hit it on something and sheared a platinum prong. I don't fault the setting in any way, I'm hard on rings. I saw it that night when I took the ring off and knew right then I'd never mount a stone I valued in a 4 prong setting ring again.

4cynthia

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi IceExplorer,

While Jewelers Mutual allows you to work with your preferred jeweler, there are some jewelers who choose not to work with insurance companies or prefer that the insurance company reimburse you instead of paying them directly.

Regarding changes to your existing item, if you wish to upgrade the ring that is being repaired or replaced under a Jewelers Mutual policy, you are welcome to do so. Keep in mind that Jewelers Mutual’s responsibility is to pay your cost to repair or replace the item with what you had originally. We just need to have the documentation from the jeweler for the cost to replace the original item. You are responsible for paying any cost differences for the upgrade plus any deductible amounts.

Cynthia Moschea, CSA, AJP (GIA), GIA Diamonds Graduate
Jewelers Mutual Insurance Company

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results