shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Enthusiast with Question about Cut Quality

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by diamond_halo, Feb 13, 2015.

1. diamond_halo
    Rough_Rock

by diamond_halo » Feb 13, 2015
    Hello Pricescopers -
    I have been doing a lot of diamond research lately out of pure interest. I am enjoying learning about how to evaluate diamonds, and this forum has provided a wealth of information!

I was hoping someone might be able to answer for me a question I have about cut quality. I know that GIA does not have a set of cut standards for fancy shapes, and I have seen that a lot of vendors use their own system for identifying whether a fancy shape is well-cut or not. However, I am having difficulty understanding how some of these designations are made. There are many stones out there that are designated as having an Excellent cut, and frankly they look horrible.

I am attaching here a link to one example from Excel Diamond's website.
    http://www.exceldiamonds.com/Diamonds-1/GIA-Graded-Radiant-Diamond-0-8-Carat-H-Color-VVS1-Clarity-574707.html

This is a radiant cut that supposedly has an "excellent" cut. What about this stone makes its cut excellent? It looks like it lacks any kind of brilliance (perhaps from being cut too deep) under the table except for the small area in the very center. Is there something I'm not seeing? Is brilliance not taken into account when evaluating the quality of the cut?

Thanks!