shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Cut Quality Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

newguy12345

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I have a question on diamond cut quality. I have a diamond I purchased for an engagement ring. It is a 1.14 Princess cut diamond.
My issue is that I had this diamond set in the ring and one of the prongs is way off center. It hangs over one of the cut corners. The jeweler is saying it is because the diamond cut is poor and that it is not symmetrical. Is there a way to tell from the GIA if this is the case or not? Is this a commen thing or are they just feeding me a line becuase it is poorly set? Thank you for your help.
Here are the specs on it from the GIA:

Shape and Cutting Style: Cut Cornered Rectangular Modified Brilliant
Measurements: 6.91x5.52x3.95 mm
Weight 1.14 carat
Depth: 71.6%
Table: 75%
Girdle: Thin to Medium
Culet: None
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Clarity Grade: VS2
Fluorescence: None

Thanks,
Chris

newguy12345

Rough_Rock
Brian,

I don't currently have the ring. I had it sent back to the manufacturer for other issues I had with the ring beyond this issue. When it gets back if they have done nothing with the prong I will post a picture of it. The jeweler made it sound like there was nothing they could do about it though. Thanks---Chris

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I think that's ridiculous....it sounds like he didn't even try to modify the setting to fit the stone...?...maybe I'm wrong...

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Are you sure you don't have a radiant cut, newguy? ...cut cornered & rectangular sounds to me like a radiant...

newguy12345

Rough_Rock
Alexah,

It is possiable that this is a radient cut. I actually let my soon to be wife pick out the diamond so I may be mistaken on that.
I have not heard from anyone that has been able to answer my question as of yet on this post. Any insight on this would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,
Chris

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
again, first you'd need to post a pick. second, like I said before, it seems as though the setter did not attempt to adjust the setting to fit the shape of the stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results