shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond cut like Tiffany Lucida or Lucere

Emeraldcutlover88

Rough_Rock
Hi all.

I'm a newbie here and have enjoyed reading all your posts and how supportive you all are with your bling!

I was originally all about the Emeraldcut, but I realized it doesn't have the sparkle that I want. I walked into Tiffany just to get an idea of the size of diamond, and I walked out in love with the bigger cuts and flares from the lucida diamond. As much as I would like, I am not in the situation to be buying a two and above carat Tiffany diamond.

I've researched on Rocky talks the cuts that are similar to the lucida diamond, and I've come up with Lucere as well as queen of hearts and Jubilee. Only thing is, Lucere is no longer searchable online, and I can't seem to find queen of hearts. I think Jia Jia calls square hearts and arrows the new Jubilee. I've inquired with them a little bit, but I would also like other options. Brian Gavin doesn't have Quaddick's searchable. And I really don't know where to find this type of cut for this type of diamond.

Also, i'm still learning about the statement and I don't specifically understand the depth and table percentages. Should the table always be much smaller than the depth? Should there be a Culet? What makes the cut 'ideal'?

Would anyone have any ideas, or any suggestions? Does JA or Brian Gavin have specific names for these cuts?

I am looking for:
1.8 to over 2 carats diamond
Price: max $15,000 (hoping to include simple setting)
Facet structure: hearts and arrows or old mine cut (chunkier facets)

Facet structure that is beautiful:
https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/2.01-carat-g-color-if-clarity-sku-23434

Thank you thank you thank you

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
Heh, I'm sorry I can't really offer you much. I'm not knowledgeable enough. But, when I was shopping for my engagement ring, I fell in love with the hearts and arrows radiant that Good Old Gold offers. It's similar to the Lucida, but I assume more budget friendly.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Greetings ECL,

Yes ... the Lucere has seen life about 2x but dropped out of the picture. They are pretty diamonds but we are in fact down to 1. :)

Queen of Hearts is the predecessor to the Jubilee and Jubilee's can be custom cut however there are Square H&A (same shape as Lucere) that are readily available.

Kind regards,
Rhino

Emeraldcutlover88

Rough_Rock
Hi Rhino. Thanks for info. How does facet cut change from Hearts and Arrows to August Vintage? And in terms of value, do these rival cost of RB? Or because it's square-ish, it becomes more affordable? What can one expect to pay for an h I or J 2 carat? And because of facets, should one stay around VS2 or can one go lower in clarity?

Thank you!!!

Emeraldcutlover88

Rough_Rock
Alybetter,

I saw the H&A diamond and was impressed by optics. But there are other similar diamonds by different names I wanted to compare. I know this cut commands a premium for its beauty. I'm just wondering what happened to those other cuts?! Did you look at August cushion too?

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
Emeraldcutlover88|1487115041|4128820 said:
Alybetter,

I saw the H&A diamond and was impressed by optics. But there are other similar diamonds by different names I wanted to compare. I know this cut commands a premium for its beauty. I'm just wondering what happened to those other cuts?! Did you look at August cushion too?

I LOVE AVC. And AVOEC. No doubt. But I ended up getting an Asscher, (not Octavia), for my ER stone.
However, I just picked up a project Cushion Brilliant from JA that looks very like an AVC, but was within my price range.

I wish you the best of luck in finding what's perfect for you.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Emeraldcutlover88|1487098681|4128685 said:
I've inquired with them a little bit, but I would also like other options. Brian Gavin doesn't have Quaddick's searchable. And I really don't know where to find this type of cut for this type of diamond.

Also, i'm still learning about the statement and I don't specifically understand the depth and table percentages. Should the table always be much smaller than the depth? Should there be a Culet? What makes the cut 'ideal'?

Would anyone have any ideas, or any suggestions? Does JA or Brian Gavin have specific names for these cuts?

Have you seen the Brian Gavin cushions? They are called "signature" cushions: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.141-e-vs2-cushion-diamond-ags-104083556007 I don't see any listed on their site in your preferred carat weight and price, but you could email or call to ask if they have others.

Don't worry so much about depth, table percentages, and other numbers--those are mainly used for determining if round cuts are cut well, not for fancy cuts. Branded cuts like these are cut for best light return. The Brian Gavin cushions, for example, get an Ideal cut grade from AGS--that's all you really need to know.

Also, is this stone for you?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Emeraldcutlover88|1487112328|4128805 said:
Hi Rhino. Thanks for info. How does facet cut change from Hearts and Arrows to August Vintage? And in terms of value, do these rival cost of RB? Or because it's square-ish, it becomes more affordable? What can one expect to pay for an h I or J 2 carat? And because of facets, should one stay around VS2 or can one go lower in clarity?

Thank you!!!

Facets for the August Vintage Cushions (AVCs) are totally different from the hearts and arrows cushions. You can readily see the difference:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/the-august-vintage-cushion
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/1.00-brellia_cushion_hearts-SELECT-GIA-H-VS1-diamond-stock-15234-cert-

In terms of value... I am not sure what you mean. Do you mean resale value? Because diamonds aren't a great investment if you are planning to resell them privately. Expect to get half of what you paid and be happy if you can get more. A vendor like Good Old Gold or Brian Gavin Diamonds have excellent trade in/upgrade policies, though--be sure to read and understand these when you make a purchase. A well cut round is nearly always going to be easier to resell than any fancy cut. People know the round brilliant cut and if you have an ideal cut round, you likely won't have problems trading it in or selling privately. Square cuts aren't more affordable--they may appear to be, in some cases, carat for carat, but they generally "face up" smaller. More weight is on the underside of the stones, that's just how it works when they are cut. Compare the actual measurements of a 1 carat ideal cut round to a 1 carat cushion or radiant, even an ideal cut one like the Hearts and Arrows type, and they face up smaller. Clarity is a matter of personal preference.

You can compare prices yourself on Good Old Gold or Brian Gavin's sites.

Emeraldcutlover88

Rough_Rock
rubybeth said:
Emeraldcutlover88|1487098681|4128685 said:
I've inquired with them a little bit, but I would also like other options. Brian Gavin doesn't have Quaddick's searchable. And I really don't know where to find this type of cut for this type of diamond.

Have you seen the Brian Gavin cushions? They are called "signature" cushions: <a class="vglnk" target="_blank" href="http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.141-e-vs2-cushion-diamond-ags-104083556007" rel="nofollow"><span>http</span><span>://</span><span>www</span><span>.</span><span>briangavindiamonds</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>diamonds</span><span>/</span><span>diamond</span><span>-</span><span>details</span><span>/</span><span>1</span><span>.</span><span>141</span><span>-</span><span>e</span><span>-</span><span>vs2</span><span>-</span><span>cushion</span><span>-</span><span>diamond</span><span>-</span><span>ags</span><span>-</span><span>104083556007</span></a> I don't see any listed on their site in your preferred carat weight and price, but you could email or call to ask if they have others.

Don't worry so much about depth, table percentages, and other numbers--those are mainly used for determining if round cuts are cut well, not for fancy cuts. Branded cuts like these are cut for best light return. The Brian Gavin cushions, for example, get an Ideal cut grade from AGS--that's all you really need to know.

Also, is this stone for you?

Hi RubyBeth. This is my first 'big' purchase and it's my future engagement ring *blush*. I've found a best friend and we want to solidify the relationship with a nice looking rock on my finger. ;-)

I appreciate the advice about Brian Gavin. I've looked and don't see anything either right now. I'll keep poking around. There's really not a huge rush but know if something comes along that is AMAZING, I want to be ready and know enough to make the decision quickly. Because the stones I'm looking at are primarily ideal cut, I appreciate you telling me not to worry about percentages. There's already so much to learn!

Emeraldcutlover88

Rough_Rock
Hi RubyBeth.

In terms of value I was trying to find the biggest facing type stone for the price point. For some reason I thought the squaring designs looked bigger than that of a round. But I'm wrong!!! I hear RB are the most expensive while Emerald Cuts are a bit more affordable and wondered where the square H&A fell in there. I'll keep looking around and looking for prices to compare as well as options. I didn't know diamond shopping would be soooo involved. I have already accidentally shattered an Apple Rrtina screen reading pricescope! I'm hoping tonmitigaye accidents in the house, but the topics are just too gripping. LOL

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Emeraldcutlover88|1487142450|4129015 said:
Hi RubyBeth.

In terms of value I was trying to find the biggest facing type stone for the price point. For some reason I thought the squaring designs looked bigger than that of a round. But I'm wrong!!! I hear RB are the most expensive while Emerald Cuts are a bit more affordable and wondered where the square H&A fell in there. I'll keep looking around and looking for prices to compare as well as options. I didn't know diamond shopping would be soooo involved. I have already accidentally shattered an Apple Rrtina screen reading pricescope! I'm hoping tonmitigaye accidents in the house, but the topics are just too gripping. LOL

Biggest face up for your money is going to be an oval or pear, with a round following closely behind. Pears and ovals are cut more shallowly than any of the other fancy cuts so you see more of the carat weight. Squares are the deepest cut, unfortunately. If you really prefer a square look but want a better face up size, you can put a round into a cushion shaped halo--this is a very popular option, like this: https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/split-band-halo-solitaire Rounds may cost somewhat more per carat, but because they face up well and well-cut ones have amazing brilliance/scintillation, they are very popular.

I recommend you look at lots of different styles and try things on in person, if possible. Some people love how an oval or pear elongates their finger, or they love (or hate) a halo setting. You may be surprised at what you end up loving. For example, my original engagement ring is a square radiant, but my soon-to-be upgrade is an Old European Cut. Tastes can change as you learn more.

Emeraldcutlover88

Rough_Rock
Hi RubyBeth.

I originally thought an Emerald Cut was the most face up for the money. I didn't know squares don't carry their weight as well. One can't tell when looking at pics online but I see it when I compare the numbers.

I did try on a few rings out in the jewelry stores and discovered pave halo, while gorgeous is not me. I think I'll look into baguette halo if that's in my range with a plain shank. I went into Tiffany to see diamond size and fell in love with the chunky cut of lucida diamond.

Then on GOG website I discovered the August cushion and the H&A and now I'm back to square one! Lol

Ok ow the square to rectangular look is for me. I am just trying to compare the diamonds via online at the different places and see these diamonds are harder to come by. I live in LA and out of the 7 engagement ring stores I've been to, the only one that had anything remotely close was Single Stone (swoon).

Would you say precision cut short like August vintage and H&A commands a higher price because of their cut? Are there non-ideals of these cuts on the market that I could accidentally get when buying? Or are they ALL ideal cuts?

And where are you getting your old European cut? Real vintage stone or new cut to look vintage?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
The August Vintage line is exclusive to Good Old Gold--you are paying for their design and the fact that they are the only source of that cut. There are other newly cut "vintage style" stones. The Victora Canera version is one. For Hearts and Arrows cushions or square hearts and arrows cuts, you're also paying for the design since they are not commonly cut. I have no idea if you could find a non-branded one for less. :confused: I doubt it. You could probably find a nice looking non-branded cushion or radiant, but again, square cuts face up smaller. An actual vintage cushion might appeal to you, but these don't face up as large as antique rounds: http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/1-ct-to-2-00/1-71ct-antique-cushion-cut-diamond-gia-i-si1#.WKTnWBIrKRs

My upgrade is a real vintage stone, not branded.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results