shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Cleaners

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rook

Shiny_Rock
What does everyone recommend for everyday diamond cleaning? How about ultrasonic cleaners? I have heard that they work good but can cause your stone to become loose!

What about the evervescence tablets? Do these even work?

Does it make a difference if the ring is platinum instead of gold?

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
I use boiled water and dishwashing liquid in a bowl. My rings sparkle like new.

jennifer1234

Rough_Rock
can you use too much ammonia?
does ammonia hurt platinum settings, take away shine, strength etc.?

jennifer1234

Rough_Rock
has anyone used hagerty jewelry cleaner? it really cleaned my engagement ring, and even though it says that it is safe for platinum and diamonds, i am not sure if it is safe... anyone have any advice?

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Save your money on those jewelry cleaners, I just use dishwashing liquid, a soft toothbrush, then rinse under water. I save the ultrasonic for when the diamond is really dirty e.g. after kneading bread dough, or for my tennis bracelet where you can't easily get to the diamonds (plus there are so many of them to clean!!!
1.gif
). When I do use the ultrasonic, I use a non-ammoniated cleaner that I bought from OttoFrei (they sell jewelry tools and findings mostly to the trade but will also sell to the public). Can't stand the smell of ammonia.

I read about people boiling their diamonds, sounds too dangerous for me.

wanderlost

Shiny_Rock
cflutist,

Where did you purchase your ultrasonic cleaner & do you think it would be safe for daily (or weekly) use on a tension set?

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got the ultrasonic from OttoFrei. They make one for home use that is 69.95
http://www.ottofrei.com/store/customer/search.php?substring=ultrasonic

As you browse you will notice that also have ultrasonics in the $1K+ range for use in jewelry stores.

Can't make a recommendation about how often to use an ultrasonic. If diamond is in a tension setting, the diamond should be easily accessible from all sides where the dishwashing liquid and toothbrush method should work just fine. That is what I use 99% of the time and my diamond is in a tiffany setting (See websailor's post on SMTR where he thought he had time to save for my ring).

baltneu

Shiny_Rock
check the threads on this topic. It has been beaten to death.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results