shape
carat
color
clarity

diamond chipped while set or re-sized??

Shoney

Rough_Rock
Good evening.
I recently acquired a gorgeous 2 carat VVS2 M colored diamond, and had it set in a simple yellow gold solitaire setting. Having seen the stone loose, I am pretty familiar with it.
I didn't notice any problems with it after getting it set (though given the problem I noticed this evening, it's so small I could have missed it). Saturday I had the ring re-sized, and it might sound weird but the prongs looked different to me, as though they were not totally even. Granted I am super, super paranoid, and that could be a total product of my imagination.
Tonight I cleaned it, and noticed what looked like a speck of dirt at the tip of one of the prongs. To my horror, it appears to be a chip right at the end of one of the prongs. I can feel it with my finger nail. At first I was hoping maybe it was part of the prong, but it very much appears to be a chip. I can't take a good picture of it, and have no idea how to approach the jeweler.

I am just sick, and hoping very much that I'm wrong and when I wake up in the morning will find it is still perfect.

What should I do??

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Oh gosh. I would be sick, too.

Do you have any photos of before/after where you can compare the prongs?

Is the diamond GIA/certified by someplace? Does it have an ID lasered on it? I know some stones do.

Do you think it is your stone, but that maybe they chipped it? Or, do you think it was swapped out with a chipped stone?

I would think about having someone look at it to see if it is still VVS2 M. And that the carat weight is exactly the same - to see if it has been swapped?

Did you size it at a place that you have shopped at before? Do you see any bad reviews online? Any reason to worry?

Q

Queenie60

Do you have insurance? Also, could it be a piece of dirt? Maybe soak it in some water with dawn detergent to see if it has a piece of dirt on it? Good luck :wavey:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How awful. Is it the diamond or just the prong that has a nick in it? If it just the prong that's easily fixed but take it to a reputable jeweller.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
are you sure it isn't polishing compound? Have you tried soaking it and seeing if you can then get it off? You say it looks like a speck of dirt so it might be compound.

Shoney

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the replies, I was seriously having a panic attack about this.
I am still waiting for the jeweler to schedule the appraisal, which is required to be submitted within 10 days for the insurance I plan on purchasing.
I think what happened is a teeny bit of fuzz got caught under the prong and cast a shadow. The prongs are huge - like industrial sized prongs :) - and one of them seems to have a weird flat spot or something at the end. I could be wrong, but after cleaning it three times and quadruple-checking, I think this is what happened because I no longer see what I did last night.
The prongs do seem odd to me, not necessarily landing square in the center of a facet, not sure if this is anything to worry about, and one of the prongs is at a slightly odd angle coming up from the base...not enough that anyone would notice, unless one looks at it obsessively the way I do!

Maybe I'll risk falling short of the ten days and go ahead and get her insured.

Shoney

Rough_Rock
Oh, and I got it set (and purchased the setting) from a local jeweler who has been in business for around 100 years. They have two different stores, and I haven't read any bad reviews. Even though I only bought the setting from them, they didn't charge me to set the diamond, and they re-sized it for free when I ordered the wrong size. :wall:
So they've been very nice and fast with setting and re-sizing, and I have no weird sense about them at all...except perhaps the jeweler is a bit aged and maybe doesn't see as well as he used to??

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results