shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond can’t be upgraded and we don’t know what to do next

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Just to add another perspective and for future consideration, imo the diamond upgrade programs seem to have a lot of restrictions, as we see here. And they're only good as long as the company stays in business. They also seem charge more for their diamonds in the first place than you can get elsewhere.

I'd rather keep it simple and look for the best deal at the time. If and when I upgrade, then I'll worry about the residual value. I can still either sell it myself, use it in another piece of jewelry or pass it on to one of my kids. (I decided to keep my diamond when I upgraded before, though I originally planned to sell it).

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with everyone... wait until you can do the big reset. Keep the setting and put a colored stone in it.

Put the larger upgraded stone in a simple solitaire until you can get the setting you want.

(I wore my asscher in a simple 4 prong solitaire for 4 years until I was able to get CVB inspired Design to reset it custom)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That setting will be beautiful with a colored gemstone. Come back here if you ever do that and people can help you find a nice one that is the exact right size for the setting.

In addition, if you upgrade with BE, please let us help you get a well cut stone next time. One of the problems with BE is that I think their diamonds are priced on the high side, so you'd might not come out so well upgrading with them. Even if you lost half selling the original diamond, you could likely get a larger stone at a better price elsewhere.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have been recommended to a manager since I felt like their advertising was a bit misleading and had we known what we do now, then this whole thing could have been avoided quite easily. I’ll update the thread once I hear back for them.

I am happy about the ring and I love the look of it very much. I’m fine with having this ring and then doing an upgrade for a 5 or 10 year anniversary. My frustration at the moment is just with Brilliant Earth because I was given false facts. He would have already planned a proposal by now had we known the upgrade wasn’t even in the realm of possibility with the company too.

Boo hiss to not being engaged yet
shame on you Brilliant Earth

Cait Lorah

Rough_Rock
My husband and I married before we got rings cause we wanted to plan/save up for a wedding with our family but got married sooner cause of military. He picked out a ring from Brilliant Earth based on three settings I gave him, but neither of us did much research on the type of diamond we had wanted.

Essentially I had wanted a .8 - 1 ct diamond, but at the time of purchase he got a .6 ct. Don’t get me wrong, I am very happy about even having a ring regardless, but we figured that with BE’s upgrade policy, getting a .8 ct would be no issue as I spoke with someone over the phone who confirmed it.

We then got told that the ring setting wouldn’t accommodate a bigger size, which we weren’t aware at the time of purchase, and the only way to get a .8 ct or bigger would be to get an entirely new setting and only have $200 for scrap metal to go towards the cost. A new setting alone would cost over $2k.

We’re both pretty bummed by this because I had thought Brilliant Earth had a wonderful upgrade policy only to find out that if I had just picked a different setting then the upgrade would have been possible (essentially what another customer service worker had said to me.)

We aren’t really sure what to do from here. I still love the ring as is, but he feels so bad now for not going into a store and seeing rings beforehand. Is there any recommendations on our situation?

An update from this. Management never called or contact us. They didn’t even want to entertain the idea of extending their return policy even though my husband was deployed for it. Just overall very rude, the woman I spoke to kept refusing to let me speak to anyone else and hung up on me.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
An update from this. Management never called or contact us. They didn’t even want to entertain the idea of extending their return policy even though my husband was deployed for it. Just overall very rude, the woman I spoke to kept refusing to let me speak to anyone else and hung up on me.

Disgusting customer service

anon34985

Shiny_Rock

Wow, that's terrible, i'm sorry :(. There is another thread on here with someone struggling to get their deposit back from BE.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
BE doesn't have a great track history of late with a lot of unhappy customers on PS. If you had the time and energy to go on the attack, I'd try and pursue a solution but if not, and this is essentially your first engagement ring, I'd just enjoy the gorgeous ring as it is and upgrade the stone closer to 1ct later on. I'm sure you could sell the setting to put towards a new setting. I don't think it's worth the hassle of adjusting your setting for a .2 ct increase.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results