shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rcobra03

Rough_Rock
I have been searching for the right diamond for a few weeks now. At first, I looked into buying a diamond from Tiffany''s but I cannot justify paying so much more just for the name. However, my girlfriend loves the simplicity of the Tiffany setting, so I have done my research and have found 2 or 3 settings online that are similar to the Tiffany setting. I am still undecided if I should try getting a local retailer to make me a copy or buy one from an online retalier.

As far as the diamond is concerned, my girlfriend wants the biggest size that I could afford...lol She would love to have a 2 carat ring but I think the size is to big for her. To give you an idea, her ring size is a 5 or 5.5 she is a small girl. In my opinion a 1.5 carat ring to maybe 1.75 would look nicer.

Now here is my questions...

Should I try and get the largest stone possible even though I think it would be a mistake??

Also, I know the cut is very important in a purchase, but as far as color, would buying a I or J colored diamond be a mistake if I where trying to get the largest diamond size for the money??

And finally, would the hearts and arrow diamond be more brilliant than a tradionally cut diamond that is very good or ideal??

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/21/2009 1:16:54 PM
Author:Rcobra03
I have been searching for the right diamond for a few weeks now. At first, I looked into buying a diamond from Tiffany's but I cannot justify paying so much more just for the name. However, my girlfriend loves the simplicity of the Tiffany setting, so I have done my research and have found 2 or 3 settings online that are similar to the Tiffany setting. I am still undecided if I should try getting a local retailer to make me a copy or buy one from an online retalier.

As far as the diamond is concerned, my girlfriend wants the biggest size that I could afford...lol She would love to have a 2 carat ring but I think the size is to big for her. To give you an idea, her ring size is a 5 or 5.5 she is a small girl. In my opinion a 1.5 carat ring to maybe 1.75 would look nicer.

Now here is my questions...

Should I try and get the largest stone possible even though I think it would be a mistake??

Also, I know the cut is very important in a purchase, but as far as color, would buying a I or J colored diamond be a mistake if I where trying to get the largest diamond size for the money??

And finally, would the hearts and arrow diamond be more brilliant than a tradionally cut diamond that is very good or ideal??
Hi and welcome!

As to the size, I would get her what she wants if you can afford it. We do have ladies here of similar stature with 2 or even 3 carat rings which look lovely on them!

Cut is KEY for a pretty rock so very important to concentrate on. A reliably graded I or J colour diamond with a great cut will still look very white.

Hearts and arrows if referred to here according to the very strict standards we go by, is a type of precison cutting which results in top optical symmetry and h&a patterning. A diamond may have h&a but not have good proportions which can mean it won't perform well. Or it can be what we commonly refer to as a ' superideal' which has perfect h&a, top AGS0 lab grade for cut and superb proportions, alternatively you can find some excellently performing diamonds which don't show h&a, it depends on what you want. Either can be beautiful.

If you want a h&a diamond I would suggest you look at the following vendors who do top cut h&a. These vendors can also find you a superb traditional cut diamond which could fit the bill for you.

www.briangavindiamonds.com

www.highperformancediamonds.com

www.goodoldgold.com

www.whiteflash.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results