shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond 3ct

Kyclaire

Rough_Rock
Trade
How much do you ladies think I should expect to pay for a 3ct diamond, excellent cut, eye clean, round brilliant with AGS cert?

Thank you in advance!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What color and clarity?

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure why a trade member would need to ask this question or are you a plumber etc lol

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sphene|1442304004|3927923 said:
Not sure why a trade member would need to ask this question or are you a plumber etc lol

For some reason???, I think when a new member joins it defaults to "Trade" instead of just regular user. Really needs to be fixed.

gemilyparks

Rough_Rock
Trade
Depending on what the color and clarity ratings are and what shape the diamond is, it could be anywhere from $35,000 to over $100,000. Is there any additional info the the color and clarity?

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
tyty333|1442318915|3927956 said:
Sphene|1442304004|3927923 said:

For some reason???, I think when a new member joins it defaults to "Trade" instead of just regular user. Really needs to be fixed.

Ah I did not realise - yes that should be fixed pronto or people will think the responses they receive on posts carry more weight than they do :angryfire:

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Kyclaire|1442292447|3927898 said:
How much do you ladies think I should expect to pay for a 3ct diamond, excellent cut, eye clean, round brilliant with AGS cert?

Thank you in advance!!

Hello Claire,

You have already received good replies from regular posters here, and indeed, a lot depends on which color/clarity one is aiming for. However, your question is also interesting when comparing pricing to a 2Ct-stone.

Basic pricing of diamonds (regardless of Cut) is based upon worldwide sales of diamonds and is reflected in an industry-pricing-report, called the Rapaport-list. Using the list to figure out pricing of an individual diamond is a difficult task already for a seasoned professional, but the list is revealing when comparing categories.

For instance, it shows that per-carat-price of a 3 Ct-diamond is about 50% higher than a 2Ct-diamond of the same color and clarity. In some combos, the difference is even higher.

In total dollars, this makes a 3Ct-diamond about 125% more expensive than a 2Ct-diamond of same color and clarity. That difference is huge. Obviously, this also has an effect on cutting in general.

With the reward so high to reach the 3Ct-mark, cutters in general will be more inclined to cut corners in order to get there. The frightening step-up in budget for consumers is also an incentive for cutters to achieve that weight. Even if they have to be content with relatively lower pricing because of an inferior cut, they will score more dollars because of the big difference in base-pricing. For that reason, I would advise you to be extremely critical on cut-quality, when judging this size of diamonds.

Live long,

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Paul-Antwerp|1442393836|3928327 said:
Kyclaire|1442292447|3927898 said:

Thank you in advance!!

Hello Claire,

You have already received good replies from regular posters here, and indeed, a lot depends on which color/clarity one is aiming for. However, your question is also interesting when comparing pricing to a 2Ct-stone.

Basic pricing of diamonds (regardless of Cut) is based upon worldwide sales of diamonds and is reflected in an industry-pricing-report, called the Rapaport-list. Using the list to figure out pricing of an individual diamond is a difficult task already for a seasoned professional, but the list is revealing when comparing categories.

For instance, it shows that per-carat-price of a 3 Ct-diamond is about 50% higher than a 2Ct-diamond of the same color and clarity. In some combos, the difference is even higher.

In total dollars, this makes a 3Ct-diamond about 125% more expensive than a 2Ct-diamond of same color and clarity. That difference is huge. Obviously, this also has an effect on cutting in general.

With the reward so high to reach the 3Ct-mark, cutters in general will be more inclined to cut corners in order to get there. The frightening step-up in budget for consumers is also an incentive for cutters to achieve that weight. Even if they have to be content with relatively lower pricing because of an inferior cut, they will score more dollars because of the big difference in base-pricing. For that reason, I would advise you to be extremely critical on cut-quality, when judging this size of diamonds.

Live long,
Good point Paul. The same can be said for all the "magic marks" on the size scale, but some like the 3ct mark are more dramatic in terms of price differential.

It is both interesting and unfortunate that the "tail wags the dog" to such an extent in the diamond market. That is, cutters' strategies being driven by weight (and a published price list) instead of by a focus on beauty (quantity vs quality). But in reality that has been the case from the beginning, even before Martin Rapaport published his first price list, because the early cutters were paid according to the finished carat weight they produced.

That mentality permeated the industry culture and has been propogated down through the years despite some notable early cutters and diamontaires who advocated strongly for quality vs quantity. Until recently those voices were drowned out by the chorus of "status quo". Fortunately that is changing now in the information age.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Correct, Bryan, but caution remains needed when faced with a bigger jump.

For instance, a 1.00 D-IF jumps up 50% in value compared to a 0.95 D-IF, 120% even compared to a 0.88 D-IF. The reward for adding unnecessary weight is so high that one will see a higher percentage of low cut-qualities in 1Ct D-IF.
In comparison, a 1.00 H-VS2 is 'only' 24% higher than a 0.95 H-VS2, 71% compared to a 0.88 H-VS2. Relatively lower reward, thus probably less outrageous forcing of weight in order to obtain 1.00 H-VS2.

The 3Ct-level comes with a huge price-jump overall, thus it truly becomes an area of buyer-beware.

Live long,

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In other words, you might want to think about a stone in the 2.5-2.99 range to get more for your money per carat.

The main question is, what is your budget? Then we can show you a selection of what you can buy with that amount. Next question is, do you have a range of color that you are comfortable with? To me, J shows visible color, so my preference is G-H (sometimes I color) for balancing cost and color.

95viper

Rough_Rock
This is insane that people would pay these jumps in price just to have the rounded up number on a piece of paper. I would buy a .95 and call it a 1 all day long.

craiguk

Rough_Rock
95viper|1442422034|3928445 said:
This is insane that people would pay these jumps in price just to have the rounded up number on a piece of paper. I would buy a .95 and call it a 1 all day long.

I floated this idea to my GF. The response I got was, shall we say, fairly abrupt.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
craiguk|1442427373|3928493 said:

I floated this idea to my GF. The response I got was, shall we say, fairly abrupt.

Maybe the ladies will change their minds if they are the ones paying for it. :devil:

craiguk

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1442427598|3928494 said:
craiguk|1442427373|3928493 said:

Maybe the ladies will change their minds if they are the ones paying for it. :devil:

If only. I'll get my revenge when she buys me a watch.

Kyclaire

Rough_Rock
Trade
diamondseeker2006|1442420384|3928427 said:
In other words, you might want to think about a stone in the 2.5-2.99 range to get more for your money per carat.

The main question is, what is your budget? Then we can show you a selection of what you can buy with that amount. Next question is, do you have a range of color that you are comfortable with? To me, J shows visible color, so my preference is G-H (sometimes I color) for balancing cost and color.

Thanks all for your valuable info!!! I agree with everything except for the comment about being a plumber haha. I am not a trade member just a regular joe wanting to buy a diamond for my long time gf. She already has a 2.9carat from her parents so I am hoping to buy something bigger. My budget is below 28k. My colour range is G-I.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kyclaire|1442497566|3928794 said:

Thanks all for your valuable info!!! I agree with everything except for the comment about being a plumber haha. I am not a trade member just a regular joe wanting to buy a diamond for my long time gf. She already has a 2.9carat from her parents so I am hoping to buy something bigger. My budget is below 28k. My colour range is G-I.

You have a large budget but rather than concentrating on getting her a larger diamond than her parent's gave her it will be better spent on a better cut diamond that out sparkles her parent's diamond. With 3ct starting at 35,000 it's really the only way for you to go. That is simply my opinion and not meant to offend.

Kyclaire

Rough_Rock
Trade
Stone Hunter|1442498208|3928798 said:

You have a large budget but rather than concentrating on getting her a larger diamond than her parent's gave her it will be better spent on a better cut diamond that out sparkles her parent's diamond. With 3ct starting at 35,000 it's really the only way for you to go. That is simply my opinion and not meant to offend.

Hi Stone Hunter,

That was my plan until she showed me a GIA cert of triple Xes... Not sure how to up that.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kyclaire|1442541785|3929070 said:
Stone Hunter|1442498208|3928798 said:

Hi Stone Hunter,

That was my plan until she showed me a GIA cert of triple Xes... Not sure how to up that.

Can you get the GIA cert number? We might be able to get the specs and determine just how well it's actually cut ;-) :devil:

You could always get another one the same size but AGS000 and therefore more sparkly lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results