shape
carat
color
clarity

Diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Laurie2

Shiny_Rock
I have type 2 diabetes and was just wondering if there are any other diabetics out there. I thought we could share tips and tricks and lean on each other.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2008 8:58:08 PM
Author:Laurie2
I have type 2 diabetes and was just wondering if there are any other diabetics out there. I thought we could share tips and tricks and lean on each other.
Laurie, wonderful idea; I am not diabetic but my parents are. You may already know this but try to make sure you eat every couple of hours; I notice they start not feeling so well if they don't eat small meals often.

Laurie2

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Skippy. I knew that about the small meals, its just hard to do. I''m a teacher and with straight classes its hard to do the smaller meals. Right now being off work for the summer its so much easier. I''m glad you mentioned this because I need to give it another shot.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm type 2 diabetic too. I think it's 3 years since diagnosis. My numbers are pretty good.
35.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laurie, do you have a book on glycemic index or book on diabetes? My parents took a free class at our local hospital and I went with them to that; there is lots of good info in those classes. They sometimes advertise them in the paper. Laurie, I like your picture, very nice!

vs

Rough_Rock
Hi, Laurie!

I am SO glad that you started this thread...I also have Type 2 diabetes (diagnosed in 2004). I had gestational diabetes with both of my children (insulin-dependent). If I could get the food under control (portions, eating small meals throughout the day, etc.),
I know it would make a big difference. The exercise is the easy part (for me)...I play tennis 2-3 times a week and go to spinning classes at least three times a week.

I try and make sure that I have snacks handy (usually string cheese and almonds). I usually have egg whites with some kind of protein and a small piece of whole wheat toast for breakfast. Lunch is usually a salad with chicken or some kind of vegetable with protein.

Thanks again for starting this thread..I am looking forward to sharing tips and supporting one another.

Take care :)

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m really bad about getting back to this forum because it''s not on the regular line up! Dreamfield''s pasta is a must have if you like pasta! It''s ultra low carb, and the best part is it cooks just like regular pasta. No more dried out tasting whole wheat pasta.

I''ve recently found a Low-Carb Grocery store in my province too. They do mail order as well as having an actual shop. Tons of great ideas there, although mainly I stick to the pasta because I know it works for me and is very versatile.

Have you tried Glucerna drinks? Some people don''t like them, but I always have one with me in case I get caught with a low, or am unable to have a regular meal. Sometimes I have them for breakfast if I can''t manage food. The dietician says it''s just fine, although she''d prefer if I had a small banana with it.

krisvrn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/6/2008 8:58:08 PM
Author:Laurie2

Hello:
I am not diabetic but I am a registered nurse:
remember to keep your A1C <7%, LDL levels <100 and BP <130/<80
Ask your doctors about the lab tests above!
Also make sure you take care of your feet. Foot care is very important as with diabetics, you heal a little slower than norm.
Try to modify your eating habits and start exercising.

Also know your symptoms if your blood sugar is getting low, remember cold and clammy get some candy! (or orange juice)
Take care ladies and good luck!
34.gif

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Hubby is diabetic....no one seems to know if type 1 or 2...so I think they are saying type 1 1/2?---guess that means the tests aren''t conclusive. We just went yesterday to the doctor to discuss him using the diabetic insulin pump. I would love to hear if anyone else is using and their thoughts, concerns...both good and bad comments are welcome as I am hoping for honest feedback.

Laurie2, great idea for a topic for both diabetics and the people who love them. Do you mind if I ask about the insulin pump here or would you prefer that I create a new post?

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laurie:

Nice to discover this thread.

Yes, me too. Diagnosed 1 year ago. Having issues with diet due to long work hours and the need to home cook almost everything from scratch due to food allergies.

I have told them at work I am cutting down to part time so that I can focus on my health - and getting the diabetes under control is a big part of that.

Right now - off to make beef jerky (home made without additives).

Perry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results