shape
carat
color
clarity

Desperately needs the community's expertise in searching for a loose diamond for engagement.

Gadabout44

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hello everyone! I hope there is room for another one of these threads; I’ve been snooping around here just trying to absorb as much data as I can and I’ve witnessed just how eager everyone is to lend a helping hand to a stranger. It’s very humbling.

I came onto the board a couple months ago for advice because I honestly did not know where to begin. I had received so many helpful tips; unfortunately, I soon realized that there is just too much to comprehend and I’ve became silent on the board. To be honest, it was overwhelming. I felt as though once I start to understand one aspect of a diamond, there are 2 others to consider. I really hate to do this, but I need to rely on the community to help a stranger out once again. This time, I am ready to make the purchase. Please help me choose a loose diamond for an engagement ring for my other half of 6 years.

Budget for Diamond: $7,500 - $8,500
Budget for Ring setting: $1,000 - $2,000
Total Budget: $10,000
Priorities: Shine/Fire, Cut, and Color.
Carats: Ideally 1.40. Can go 1.30 for color and “fire”.
Clarity: Will sacrifice clarity to meet budget for an Eye Clean diamond. Targeting an SI grade to (maximize budget) for an eye clean diamond that can match up with a VVS/VS grade diamond through the naked eye
Cut: Round - From what I am told must be very good or excellent for more shine
Color: I was told I can go as low as an “I” grade to meet budget, but I would really hate to see that hint of yellow through the naked eye. Would like to be a G or above. I am willing to listen to opinions!
Table%: 55-57. 58 is too flat from what I’ve read. I'm going for a bigger look from top view
Ring Setting style: Will have DKJ create one for me. Platinum. Cathedral, Pave/Channel set.
Finger size: 4
MM of Diamond is something I do not understand.

One thing to note: The Diamond will be shipped to DKJ, I’d like a decent upgrade policy. I do not plan on paying double the initial amount for an upgrade. I feel as though I may have left out some other crucial information, I apologize. I also understand that what I am asking for may be beyond my price point. But please do not hesitate to voice your suggestion. I am willing to compromise.

Thank you to everyone in advance!

Last edited:

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
my thoughts... you are going to have to compromise several places. Your budget is not going to get you a nicely cut 1.4ct G colored stone. As far as cut, you want an Excellent or Ideal cut stone, not just Very Good.

First thing, you have some more homework to do. (sorry!) Go and see some GIA or AGS graded stones in-store. You need to know if you are ok with an H or I colored stone. You may be surprised at your color tolerance. AND, you need to know if your intended is ok with an H or I colored stone. Many women prefer the size an H or I (or even J!) colored stone will get them. If you're worried about tint from the side view, (cause you wont see it from above) a more detailed gallery will hide the side view of the stone some vs doing a simple, open gallery. And really, you're not going to have people looking at the ring going, "Oh, what a beautiful I colored stone!" or, "Wow, that a pretty yellow stone!". it's not going to look yellow. Get the right cut and it's just going to look SPARKLY.

Upgrade policy. You need to decide how important it is. Your preference of policy is more in line with the generous policies of White Flash, High Performance Diamonds or Brian Gavin Diamonds. However, your budget won't get you to 1.4 with those super ideal stones, even with an I color. More like a 1.1-1.2 I colored stone. WF has a 1.3 *just* in your price range:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3702264.htm

1.4 from JA but the upgrade policy is not what you're looking for. PRobably priced so well due the strong fluoro so just would have to inquire whether or not that is affecting the stone (milkiness, etc)
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-color-vvs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3747618

I do apologize if i've just confused more but i think you need to consider just a few more things.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you have two major decisions as described by PP.
1) the importance of the upgrade policy is corrected pointed out as a major decision here. If you don't want to spend double on an upgrade, that eliminates all but WF, BGD, HPD, and Victor Canera. The benefit of these companies is also that they have superbly cut diamonds, excellent customer service and you can always alter any aspect of the diamond to buy one more expensive (upward or downward).
2) How set on a G color are you?

If you get a setting with pave (like https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...-sleek-line-solitaire-engagement-ring-728.htm), that would leave $9000 for the diamond.

This H, https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3965464.htm
or the I posted above by @farrahlyn .

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't have much to add as you've received some sound advice above... however, I will share that if I were to do it over again and buying a first-time diamond, I would give much greater weight to the vendors with the most flexible and consumer friendly policies.

It's hard to imagine the possibility of upgrading, especially in the excitement of purchasing your first stone. However, you can never predict what the future holds. I'm the poster child for never saying never! I LOVE my current, upgraded stone, but know at some point, the allure of getting to 3cts will be impossible for me to ignore. When that time comes, I will have one final upgrade I can do with JA before it's outside the realm of reason for me.

So, I agree with others that you should give good thought on which of the C's are flexible for now. I especially like the two stones that @farrahlyn and @rockysalamander listed from Whiteflash - they're both beautiful options!

Gadabout44

Shiny_Rock
Premium
my thoughts... you are going to have to compromise several places. Your budget is not going to get you a nicely cut 1.4ct G colored stone. As far as cut, you want an Excellent or Ideal cut stone, not just Very Good.

First thing, you have some more homework to do. (sorry!) Go and see some GIA or AGS graded stones in-store. You need to know if you are ok with an H or I colored stone. You may be surprised at your color tolerance. AND, you need to know if your intended is ok with an H or I colored stone. Many women prefer the size an H or I (or even J!) colored stone will get them. If you're worried about tint from the side view, (cause you wont see it from above) a more detailed gallery will hide the side view of the stone some vs doing a simple, open gallery. And really, you're not going to have people looking at the ring going, "Oh, what a beautiful I colored stone!" or, "Wow, that a pretty yellow stone!". it's not going to look yellow. Get the right cut and it's just going to look SPARKLY.

Upgrade policy. You need to decide how important it is. Your preference of policy is more in line with the generous policies of White Flash, High Performance Diamonds or Brian Gavin Diamonds. However, your budget won't get you to 1.4 with those super ideal stones, even with an I color. More like a 1.1-1.2 I colored stone. WF has a 1.3 *just* in your price range:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3702264.htm

1.4 from JA but the upgrade policy is not what you're looking for. PRobably priced so well due the strong fluoro so just would have to inquire whether or not that is affecting the stone (milkiness, etc)
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-color-vvs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3747618

I do apologize if i've just confused more but i think you need to consider just a few more things.

I think you have two major decisions as described by PP.
1) the importance of the upgrade policy is corrected pointed out as a major decision here. If you don't want to spend double on an upgrade, that eliminates all but WF, BGD, HPD, and Victor Canera. The benefit of these companies is also that they have superbly cut diamonds, excellent customer service and you can always alter any aspect of the diamond to buy one more expensive (upward or downward).
2) How set on a G color are you?

If you get a setting with pave (like https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...-sleek-line-solitaire-engagement-ring-728.htm), that would leave $9000 for the diamond.

This H, https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3965464.htm
or the I posted above by @farrahlyn .

Hi, I took your advice and I understand why you suggested all that for me. I am very appreciative for that. I did not have much time to take a trip to a major diamond retail store where I would have probably had a larger sample size of similar stones that are perhaps graded accordingly; however, I do work at in an area that has small jewelry shops. Unfortunately I do not know how accurate their grades are. I had the privilege to visit two stores nearby and at the same time I actually have a few coworkers who wears diamond rings. Here are my experiences:

At the two jewelry shops, I was able to compare G,H,I,J and even an F round diamond. From the top view as a few have stated, it is hard to tell the difference. If anything I’ve learned that this is where you can probably spot imperfection. In one of the jewelry shops I was able to see a hint of color form the J color as well as the F even from the top view under indoor light. I admit, as soon as I saw the J and the F diamonds I focused on asking for more samples of I grade diamond. I can’t exactly remember how many I saw, but perhaps half a dozen. Now the odd part here is (and again I don’t know if I trust this jewelry shop) is that 2 of the I diamonds were noticeably colored than the other 2. This may have to do with the size as all the samples ranged from 1c to over 2carats. Now the 3 diamonds I saw here at work were all under 1carat, different shapes, and all three were actually D color according to the 3 coworkers. However; two were VVS1 graded while one was an SI2. And the SI2 was visibly clouded. But again, the SI2 was a Marquis cut while the other 2 VVS were round. So I don’t know how much help this provided for me.

With all that said. I am still weary on considering any “J” colored diamonds, in fact I think I will pass on anything J and lower. I will consider certain “I” color grade diamonds! Unfortunately, I did not pay attention to the clarity grades of the diamond I inspected. Sorry! It just dawn to me, I had a 1 hour lunch period so I was rushing. But from the SI2 diamond a coworker of mine showed me, I do not know if I would consider any SI2 grade diamonds. I know it is just one sample, and also it was a marquise shape so feel free to chime in on this.

As for upgrade policy, I could use some suggestions here. I understand I initially had stated that I do not plan on paying double to upgrade a stone. At the same time I honestly feel my other half won’t be looking to upgrade anytime soon as well. We may not even upgrade anytime between now and the next 10 years! Our priorities will be elsewhere after marriage. With that said, it may not even matter what the upgrade policy is; however it will be a bonus in the event we somehow manage to have the privilege to upgrade early. For now, I want to put more effort on choosing the best Diamond I can get with my budget rather than worrying about the upgrade that may or may not play in role in the next many years to come.

I am still open to suggestions. I do like the diamonds you’ve linked! I am putting them down under my list to consider for purchase!
-------------------------------------------------

EDITED: Color

Clarity: Will sacrifice clarity to meet budget for an Eye Clean diamond. Targeting an SI grade to (maximize budget) for an eye clean diamond that can match up with a VVS/VS grade diamond through the naked eye
Cut: Round - From what I am told must be very good or excellent for more shine
Color: "I" and above. Very hesitant on "J" colored diamonds.
Table%: 55-57. 58 is too flat from what I’ve read. I'm going for a bigger look from top view
Ring Setting style: Will have DKJ create one for me. Platinum. Cathedral, Pave/Channel set.
Finger size: 4
MM of Diamond is something I do not understand.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's like this you have to prioritise what you want to buy a lower colour to get a larger stone - so will she live with an I colour? Or is she colour sensitive? Or does she just want the biggest rock you can afford and is willing to sacrifice to a lower colour? Some people are highly colour sensitive others will not notice the difference greatly between stones.

Your budget will be at around a 1 carat stone in a whiter colour and over that in size as you go down in colour.

Next point is that the stones you looked at in shops could be anything unless they were GIA or AGS graded often stores stock stones that are several colours and clarities out or incorrect when you compare them to the two most reliable (strict) labs.

Preloved might also be another option that gets you more bang for your buck;

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/1-20ct-round-brilliant-diamond-halo-ring-by-brilliant-earth-gia-g-vs2

https://loupetroop.com/listings/rin...nd-with-side-baguettes-19k-white-gold-setting

Make sure you pay with something like Paypal (as a business transaction if you do happen to buy something off Loupetroop so that the transaction is fully insured against fraud). And if they seem too good to be true (a few of them on there I would suggest are) then check with people here, the odd scammer turns up there from time to time.

https://loupetroop.com/listings/rin...nd-engagement-ring-with-certificate-and-boxes

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cut: Round - From what I am told must be very good or excellent for more shine You must have excellent/ideal cut
Color
: "I" and above. Very hesitant on "J" colored diamonds.
Table%: 55-57. 58 is too flat from what I’ve read. I'm going for a bigger look from top view You are totally off base here. The table size has nothing to do with the diameter of the stone. So 55-58 is fine.
Ring Setting style
: Will have DKJ create one for me. Platinum. Cathedral, Pave shank (((not Channel set.)))
Eliminate the word Channel set. You just want pave diamonds on the shank. It would be great if the setting could come from the diamond vendor, but if not, DK is good.
Finger size:
MM of Diamond is something I do not understand. That's the diameter of the stone.

I will list some diamonds that fit your budget that are well cut and no lower than I SI1. They may not meet your size wishes, though.

Best upgrade policy (but you should also know that most people never upgrade. They may buy other jewelry, but most people never change their engagement ring). Still these are top quality diamonds that are worth keeping forever.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3963067.htm

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3970287.htm

Excellent cut but double upgrade:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...h-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-4400549 (this one has a tiny black inclusion. I am pretty sure it would be invisible when seeing the stone in real life, but you can ask them.)

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...h-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-4382856 (Slightly outside my preferred measurements, but this is a pretty stone.)

I'll see if I see anything else.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results