shape
carat
color
clarity

Design input please - Three Stone

Volvoqueen

Shiny_Rock
In 2018 I purchased a Chrome Tourmaline from Gene at Precision Gem. I don't have the paperwork in front of me of the specs, but it measures 7.90mm x 6.65mm.

I also have a pair of OEC studs that measure 4.25mm each.

Both of these items have just been sitting in the safe, unloved. My MIL is now retired, and her birthday is in Oct (Tourmaline birthstone). I'm in major purge mode at the moment, and talking to the Husband, we've decided to get a right hand ring made for her for Christmas.

I dived into my kids art supplies this morning and drew the below.

Random call outs about the drawing:

• I drew this thinking the diamond studs were 3mm, then after the fact measured them, and they are in fact 4.25mm, so the drawing side stones are smaller than real life
  • I realized after the fact that I didn't have the side baskets touching the center basket wall :wall: I know in real life they will need to be connected
  • Side diamonds - I drew the drawing with three prongs, but thinking four will be better as this will give something to attach to the center basket, the prong will be partially hidden under the Tourmaline.
The design - 6 prong centered around the north and south of the Tourmaline, then 4 prong on the diamonds. All in buttery yellow gold. I love brushed/satin finish, but I'm reminding myself this isn't for me, but the MIL, and she is more of a traditionalist, so it will be polished. I'm also going for basic as I don't want to break the bank on the setting, but want something sturdy, utilitarian, and beautiful.

Feedback/Questions -

• Input on the design
  • If there are major call outs, problems I'm not seeing
  • If anyone knows off the top of their head what angle (approximate) the side stones should be set at as well as how much I should try to tuck them under the Tourmaline
  • Should I just have the center stone set with 8 prongs?
Ring1.png

Attachments

• Ring3.png
    Ring3.png
    269.9 KB · Views: 31
  • ring4.png
    ring4.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 31

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a wonderful and loving gesture to create this for your MIL!

~but really~
I’m smitten with the drawing you did.
:love:
It’d be framed and hung on the wall.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks great. since you are adding a prong to the diamonds are you changing the orientation? That might effect whether I'd go for 6 or 8 on the center.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
What a thoughtful gift! I like the drawing & your wedding dress drawing! (Is that how your dress looked in the end?)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the drawing (I'm impressed). I wouldnt change a thing except to have the side stones moved closer to the center (like you said).
I would let whoever does the CADs worry about that.

A lovely and thoughtful gift!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
very nice drawing! i am in agreement with you that the side stones ought to be closer to the center stone. "tucking" the side stones under the center tourmaline, may partially, obscure the sides when viewing straight on. personally, i think the number of prongs you currenty have reflected in your drawing is enough, for the measurement size of your stones. as for angles, i think best, to speak and work it out with the ring maker. eager to see more of this most thoughtful ring to your mother in law!

L

lydial

Does anyone know if 6 prong “crown” style baskets work on ovals? And any vintage ring photos of this as the center of a 3 stone w/ round sides? So, I am in the process of re-re-doing my 3 stone re-do because this “idea” didn’t work for my re-set... the 6 prong CVB Jovyn with baguettes was NOT a success; live and learn! But mine had stone tension issues Even without being an oval. look for IRL photos with the oval.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In 2018 I purchased a Chrome Tourmaline from Gene at Precision Gem. I don't have the paperwork in front of me of the specs, but it measures 7.90mm x 6.65mm.

I also have a pair of OEC studs that measure 4.25mm each.

Both of these items have just been sitting in the safe, unloved. My MIL is now retired, and her birthday is in Oct (Tourmaline birthstone). I'm in major purge mode at the moment, and talking to the Husband, we've decided to get a right hand ring made for her for Christmas.

I dived into my kids art supplies this morning and drew the below.

Random call outs about the drawing:

• I drew this thinking the diamond studs were 3mm, then after the fact measured them, and they are in fact 4.25mm, so the drawing side stones are smaller than real life
  • I realized after the fact that I didn't have the side baskets touching the center basket wall :wall: I know in real life they will need to be connected
  • Side diamonds - I drew the drawing with three prongs, but thinking four will be better as this will give something to attach to the center basket, the prong will be partially hidden under the Tourmaline.
The design - 6 prong centered around the north and south of the Tourmaline, then 4 prong on the diamonds. All in buttery yellow gold. I love brushed/satin finish, but I'm reminding myself this isn't for me, but the MIL, and she is more of a traditionalist, so it will be polished. I'm also going for basic as I don't want to break the bank on the setting, but want something sturdy, utilitarian, and beautiful.

Feedback/Questions -

• Input on the design
  • If there are major call outs, problems I'm not seeing
  • If anyone knows off the top of their head what angle (approximate) the side stones should be set at as well as how much I should try to tuck them under the Tourmaline
  • Should I just have the center stone set with 8 prongs?
Ring1.png

i love your sketch!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely idea and artwork! You can work for Graff!

I am wary of side diamonds that tilt too far out such that the face-on view of the center stone never affords an attractive view of the side diamonds. Although your picture won't be as pleasing, I would be tempted to orient the axis of the side stones to be a little more parallel to the axis of the center stone. It's tricky, I know, because they are so much more petite and sit lower.

But: to test my bias, I reached for spouse's ring that matches your three-stone design and I see that the 0.25-ct side stones pretty much "point" to the center of the ring just like your design.

stonehunter20

Shiny_Rock
side stones maybe sit flush with center stone to create a more cohesive look?

as far as 8 prongs, looking at the ring from the side, i noticed that there are lots of prongs already for each stone, with 8 prong for the center... im afraid it might look too busy from the side, like too many prongs from the side. just my two cents though. definitely a personal preference.

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Impressive artistic skills!

Edit to add: Nice stones and a thoughtful gift for MIL❤️

Volvoqueen

Shiny_Rock
Update time! I am working with David Klass, attached is the initial CAD as well as one with some of my call outs.

When pulling this inspiration together, I took a little from my ring (Stuller stock item, nothing special, but clean design), a little from what I saw on David's instagram, etc. One of the things I saw was the Cathedral sides. Digging dip into PS images, I am wondering if it is okay if I use this design detail, as I think it may have originated with Erika Winters possibly? It is hard to tell who had what detail first. I'm working with David as there is a price/value with his work, but I don't want to be taking what is someone's work. Is it okay, using this detail? Am I being overly concerned about something I shouldn't be? This ring is just a mod-podge of different details I've compiled together.

Okay, my call outs:
  • Center Stone Prongs - I am going to refer to my prongs as N/S/E/W. I want to move the NW and NE prongs slightly closer to the North Prong. Same with the South, I want to move the SW and SE prongs slightly closer to the South prong. Although not planned, this is a little similar to @twosanguinehearts new OMC ring prong placement, thread here.
  • Basket W Sculpting - I am not sure how to describe this, but I want this more sculpted detail, similar to the image I've inserted.
  • Side Stone Angle and Heights - The Orange shape represent the current angle/placement. I think these side stones need to be a little higher and rotate in slightly to the center stone, closer to the Yellow shape.
Thoughts? Please let me know your feedback!!! This is so fun putting this together.

Attachments

• dk 62037-quad.jpg
    dk 62037-quad.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 7.21.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 7.21.33 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Volvoqueen

Shiny_Rock
Lovely idea and artwork! You can work for Graff!

I am wary of side diamonds that tilt too far out such that the face-on view of the center stone never affords an attractive view of the side diamonds. Although your picture won't be as pleasing, I would be tempted to orient the axis of the side stones to be a little more parallel to the axis of the center stone. It's tricky, I know, because they are so much more petite and sit lower.

But: to test my bias, I reached for spouse's ring that matches your three-stone design and I see that the 0.25-ct side stones pretty much "point" to the center of the ring just like your design.

Yep, after seeing the CAD I agree with you about the orientation of the side stones.

Volvoqueen

Shiny_Rock
Impressive artistic skills!

Edit to add: Nice stones and a thoughtful gift for MIL❤

My MIL has earned it, she has always been there for us, when the poo was hitting the fan with my family and I need to drop everything and go, she didn't bat an eye at me throwing the kids at her and going.

She has always loved jewelry, but she mostly owns costume. She was a lifetime USGS employee, because of her education level she really couldn't go that far, and hence being very financially conservative. She is now retired and living her best life, she could afford this no problem (hell, they drive a Tesla they paid cash for), but is too practical to do so. This is why I want to do this, she would never do it for herself. My FIL is also in on this, so that makes it fun as well.

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
My MIL has earned it, she has always been there for us, when the poo was hitting the fan with my family and I need to drop everything and go, she didn't bat an eye at me throwing the kids at her and going.

She has always loved jewelry, but she mostly owns costume. She was a lifetime USGS employee, because of her education level she really couldn't go that far, and hence being very financially conservative. She is now retired and living her best life, she could afford this no problem (hell, they drive a Tesla they paid cash for), but is too practical to do so. This is why I want to do this, she would never do it for herself. My FIL is also in on this, so that makes it fun as well.

Truly a sweet gesture and much deserved! You‘re one of the lucky ones to have such a lovely family❤️. Do update us with this project. We would also love to see hand shots of your MIL and *hear* her reaction to it.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Volvoqueen your last post about your MIL deserving this made me all gooey. It's nice to wake up and read things like that, especially in this upside down time. What a heartwarming gesture. It sounds like there is such love and kindness in your family and that is giving me the feels. =)2

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can chime in in the sculpted W’s!
Aside from showing him the amount of sculpting in your inspo pic vs your cad as you did here -
You can look at my history to find two threads that show three stone CADs and compare to finished product - and it’s by DK. So looking at those it theoretically should help you know what to expect w basket sculpting wise from your CAD. You can do the same with Niels three stone with w baskets, for a different version of DK CAD to finished.

As for the shoulder detail - hmmmm. I can’t say for sure about that tapered pave (trailing off to graduated beading as well?) cathedral shoulder/cuff detail is something EW came up with. Hers are gorgeous. But without trawling vintage /antique rings to find previous examples, I don’t know the answer. You’d probably get differentiating opinions here anyways on what’s ok to be inspired by.
If it doesn’t sit right with you to proceed as is - maybe change the cuff/cutoff detail a bit and the beading to a different engraved detail? 2-3 lines of tiny milgrain converging instead of the graduated beading?

Volvoqueen

Shiny_Rock
I can chime in in the sculpted W’s!
Aside from showing him the amount of sculpting in your inspo pic vs your cad as you did here -
You can look at my history to find two threads that show three stone CADs and compare to finished product - and it’s by DK. So looking at those it theoretically should help you know what to expect w basket sculpting wise from your CAD. You can do the same with Niels three stone with w baskets, for a different version of DK CAD to finished.

As for the shoulder detail - hmmmm. I can’t say for sure about that tapered pave (trailing off to graduated beading as well?) cathedral shoulder/cuff detail is something EW came up with. Hers are gorgeous. But without trawling vintage /antique rings to find previous examples, I don’t know the answer. You’d probably get differentiating opinions here anyways on what’s ok to be inspired by.
If it doesn’t sit right with you to proceed as is - maybe change the cuff/cutoff detail a bit and the beading to a different engraved detail? 2-3 lines of tiny milgrain converging instead of the graduated beading?

Thank you Rfisher, your CAD was very helpful. Going to post the edits here in a moment.

Volvoqueen

Shiny_Rock
Below is the feedback I gave to David along with my call outs, in blue. The second attached image is David's revised CAD. I think it is looking pretty good. The one thing is that the side stones went from 4 prongs to multiple prongs unasked. I did share @Rfisher's CAD for basket sculpting and prong shape, I'm guessing he used that file and dropped in that over my CAD, and the prong revision was missed.

Question for anyone following this thread -
  • Overall look/thoughts
  • Mini Cathedral side, MRB or Single Cut?
  • Diamond Sides, should I do 6 prongs, or just go back to 4?

1.Center Stone Prongs - I am going to refer to my prongs as N/S/E/W. I want to move the NW and NE prongs slightly closer to the North Prong. Same with the South, I want to move the SW and SE prongs slightly closer to the South prong.

2. Cathedral sides -

• These look a little heavy on the underside as they tapper up to the side stones. Can this be reduced slightly? I know you need a certain amount of metal for structural integrity, and that there needs to be enough recess for the mini stones to sit in, but I'm looking more at the underside toward the top where it is just molded melee.
  • Side mini stones - are these tapering slightly, from larger to smaller? If not, can we do that?
  • Single Cuts or MRB, which do you think would look nicer? I've never seen Single cuts in person.
3. Basket Sculpting -
  • "W's" of Basket - Love the sharp point of the base of the "W's" basket, but I'm looking for more sculpting on the "U" shape of the "W's" (pink arrows), almost like pulling the X axis outward and down slightly. Looking through PS I found another CAD you did from March of 2019 that had this kind of pulled out sculpting I was looking for, on PDF.
4. Prongs - These seem to have hard edges, blue arrows - Look for softer round prong cylinders as they extend up out of the sculpted "U" shape, as the inspiration image in PDF.

Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 3.37.10 PM.png

DK 62037-QUAD-4.jpg

Attachments

• RING 3D Feedback.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 20

Volvoqueen

Shiny_Rock
I have frozen this CAD, so excited!

DK 62037-QUAD-7.jpg

Volvoqueen

Shiny_Rock
Wanted to let you know, received pictures of the ring, posted here: