shape
carat
color
clarity

Design and Inspiration Help Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need to set my stunning Umbalite Garnet (from Gene at Precision Gems) and want something "special" to compliment it''s beauty. Things I don''t want are (a) halo (b) trilogy. It''s dimensions are 9 x 7.5mm.

So please, think outside the box. These are designs (for settings) that I adore. What would you do?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s the Umbalite:

Umbalite%20Garnet%202.71ct%201.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
That is such a beautiful stone!! Just gorgeous! So excited for you!!
36.gif
36.gif

Just a few pictures for your entertainment...
31.gif

1186_1_image.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I love this ring... when I win the lotto, this is what I''m going to get!

MW10291.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow Mochi! Do you have profile shots of those please?

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Ritani... this is very pretty, IMHO.

39QQ13.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Oh.. sorry. These are just pictures that I have saved in my hard drive for **inspiration**....

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m envisioning something like that DNA type ring in the lower right. YUM!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Mochi. I save things under "design" so know where you''re coming from!!!

Neat - love the DNA description!!!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Keep in mind that a design which you love with a certain stone, you might not love with another one - I''ve noticed that quite a few times. From your post, only the designs with blue stones are not my thing, others are great. Here are some IMO nice ones with rhodolites (to get the similar look):

FIRST

SECOND

THIRD

Rock Your Socks

Shiny_Rock
i love the one in the bottom right hand corner. so pretty, whatever you end up doing i''m sure it will be stunning!

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
I
18.gif
18.gif
the LM in the bottom left corner - so yummy!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/7/2008 3:12:29 AM
Author: ma re
Keep in mind that a design which you love with a certain stone, you might not love with another one - I've noticed that quite a few times. From your post, only the designs with blue stones are not my thing, others are great. Here are some IMO nice ones with rhodolites (to get the similar look):

FIRST

SECOND

THIRD
Ma Re,
Do you think bezel setting it would make it look too dark? I'm personally not one for bezel set garnets in the red family. They tend to go too dark, but then again, maybe that won't happen with this stone?? I agree that this stone is too unique in it's cut for a halo.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
I can totally picture your stone in the setting on the lower right. I love the twisty setting, but it also has a simplicity to it that wouldn't take away from the beatiful color.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 9:55:33 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Ma Re,
Do you think bezel setting it would make it look too dark? I'm personally not one for bezel set garnets in the red family. They tend to go too dark, but then again, maybe that won't happen with this stone?? I agree that this stone is too unique in it's cut for a halo.
Judging from the photo, I'd say it wouldn't be too dark in a bezel, especially in yellow gold. Honestly, I didn't even notice that 2 out of 3 designs I suggested were variations of bezels - I just thought they were nice rings!

I love it when people get a bit creative and look outside the box instead of taking the safe route.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Or this, from GreenLake:

MTG_O_40491.jpg

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
I love that second ring ma re posted, although it might end up needing VERY long fingers, given the size of the garnet.

In the picture you posted, it looks as though there''s a strip of bluer purple about 2/3 of the way along the stone. Is that a trick of the light, or is it actually a characteristic of the stone? Because if it''s real, it would be very cool to find a way to emphasize that.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your suggestions - some great ideas.

Ma re - I''m not keen on bezel, bypass or "chunky" rings and prefer a more delicate look but your suggestions were definitely different and thank you for taking the time to find those for me.

Geckodani - Again, thanks to you for your suggestions and links. I''m very impressed that you tracked down the profile photo!

TL - I agree with your thoughts on a bezel and don''t think it''s for this stone.

Pjean - not a trick of the light. In daylight this beautiful little gemstone looks red, purple and pink all at the same time with hints of blue! In fact it kinda looks half and half!

My current thinking is the DNA setting but adjusted so it has the petal claws as in the top right picture. It''ll probably be white gold but perhaps yellow. Undecided on that at the moment but I think the DNA bit would certainly look better in white.

Thanks again to everybody for your input. You guys have a knack of finding great pictures to look at!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
That sounds lovely!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results