shape
carat
color
clarity

depth percentage-too deep for setting?

gxf777

Rough_Rock
I understand that depth percentage is not a critical issue with colored stones as compared to diamonds. However, i have read in several places that the range should be 60-80% for colored stones and that deeply cut stones can have setting issues. I have two cushion stones with great color-a tsavorite measuring 7.5X6.5x6 and a red spinel measuring 6.0x6.63x5.74. This yields depth percentages of 93% and 87%, respectively.

My question is-are these stones cut so deeply that problems will be encountered in setting them? If so, what are the problems? I will obviously consult with a jeweler about this but I wanted to solicit informed opinions from the Pricescope community as well. Thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are likely to require a custom setting to accommodate the very deep stones. Either that, or the setting needs to have very long prongs that allow the stone to be set higher in the setting.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or, building on Chrono's advice, look for a setting with an open basket behind and long prongs. That way the gem can be manipulated and the height won't be such an issue.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results