shape
carat
color
clarity

Depressed about getting older

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all, I''m going to start this post by saying that my issue is going to sound really stupid and superficial, and it probably is. But I''ve been experiencing sadness and depression about getting older, and it''s particularly bad today to the point that I''m near tears as I type this. The bottom line is that I''m very depressed that I have lost whatever looks I used to have. (btw, I''m 49). It all started when I was about 38 and noticed that I didn''t look very good in pictures. I found myself looking at them and saying "wow, what a bad picture of me". Then I came across old photos of myself at 24 and realized how much I''ve changed over the years. I felt like a part of me died when I saw those pictures. Some days are worse than others, but I carry around a general sadness that I look so different. Wrinkles, extra weight, those stupid dark circles around my eyes, even my teeth don''t look as good as they used to. I don''t even know why I''m placing emhpasis on this, I''m happily married and not looking to attract men or anything like that. I just mourn losing my youth, I guess. And it''s not just my appearance, I really miss the energy and enthusiasm for life I had when I was younger. I just feel so "blah" all of the time now.

I know this is stupid, especially considering the serious problems other people face, and that I may potentially face. I could be stricken with cancer tomorrow, for goodness sake. I should be grateful I have my health, good kids and a great husband. And I AM grateful for that and count my blessings every day. Sometimes doing that helps me snap out of my funk, but there are times I just can''t talk myself out of it, like today. I have to drag myself to work right now, and I am just so down. Please be kind in your criticism of me, I fully acknowledge I shouldn''t feel like this, and am ashamed of myelf for it. But I guess I was just curious if there''s anyone out there who can relate a little. Thanks for taking the time to read this, it feels good to just get it out.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Junebug, I totally understand what you''re feeling! And I totally agree it is unfounded, but undeniable!! I think that''s one of the reasons I keep planning sparkly projects. They give me something to look forward to and feel special about.

I battle it by working out, going out to lunch or dinner or a movie with some girlfriends with whom I have these things in common. I also take an antidepressant. Getting out and doing things helps me not dwell on it too much.

I wish you peace and happiness. Keep seeking it! I have no answers, but much sympathy.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I can totally rellate. I just turned 40 and I know I will get lectured that 40 is not old. but its not young either. And I have to admit I'm having a hard time with it. I have children with serious issues and am so busy that I tend to neglect myself and don't have time for myself. My looks are not what they use to be (nor is my figure) and I find that really depressing. I use to be pretty. Now I'm blech. Supeficial, maybe but its still sad to me. I use to turn heads. Now I feel invisible. I do take care of myself in the best way I can. I do color my hair so I have no grey. But things like finding the time to workout are hard. There are not enough hous in the day. I am getting in some workuots but not enough.

And my complection. I don't know when it happened, but I look so tired. And this scares me, but one of my eye lids has started to droop. Eek, when did that happen? And veins in my legs. Again, makes me feel old. and my hands are starting to look old. I don't like it at all.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
There's a great magazine targeted at women 40+. It's available at most newstands. I have a subscription. I love it!!

MORE Magazine

I also recently went to Ulta and told the sales person that I needed some new makeup for my over-40 face. She sat me down and we tried some different foundations and tinted moisturizer, along with a brow powder. I know it helped that she was of a similar age too, but now my face looks so much better!! The products I had been using were for much different skin. Now, when I wear makeup, I feel I look good again! Try it out!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m 61 years old and still steppin''.
The realization that you''re not a kid any more is a sobering thought, but:
Aging and changes in appearance are inevitable, and my attitude about it is "If you can''t control it, ignore it".
Every laugh line came from a happy experience.
If a wrinkle or a frown line came from a bad experience, it makes me appreciate the laugh lines more.
If I ever get to a point where changes in my face start to bother me, I''ll get some "work" done - nothing wrong with that.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Junebug,

I think this can be an important thread for many of us.

I''ll start by sharing I''m 54 (as of yesterday), and spent my birthday yesterday getting confirmed that I don''t have bladder cancer after all. I had been actually diagnosed with it in the last several months, pursued through researching that it was appropriate to do so to get a second opinion, upon which time I both learned that another pathologist (at Johns Hopkins) thought more wisely that it was benign...and at the same time...I actively pursued, and succeeded at securing additional life insurance as of two days ago, the better to cover my family.

Now the homily:

"God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the Courage to change those things I can, and the Wisdom to know the difference. (Reinhold Niebuhr 1892-1971)"

I have felt at turning 50 a change. I''m tired frequently, but value Upbradable''s advice:

Date: 9/18/2009 10:50:30 AM
Author: Upgradable

I battle it by working out, going out to lunch or dinner or a movie ...
I need to both exercise more, and also engage in meditation practice that I nary make time for, but have learned about, used to do a lot, and...despite some complications with family who don''t participate...need to get back to.

In the last year some Pricescoper came on this page and talked about understanding that at maybe at 38 the body starts blowing fuses. Certainly...there can be the difference, which I think you write about, Junebug, about seeing the glass as half empty or half full.

As we age, it''s reasonable to appreciate changes. Doing what we can to keep seeing the glass as half full...I''m there with you in wanting to be able to do this.

As we get strategies, maybe we can share them. Thanks for writing today.

With best wishes...

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I know it''s hard to accept growing older and looks changing but it''s a natural part of aging. I just accept it and kind of tease myself about it to make light of it all.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I''ll bite on this one! I''m 67 probably one of the older (if not the oldest
9.gif
) poster here.

Like Madam, I''m still steppin'', but probably not as quickly as I used to, but hey...I get there.

My only concern at this age is ''How many good years I have left''. There are still places I want to go and people I want to meet. There are foods I''ve always wanted to try and great champagnes I''ve yet to taste.
36.gif

My looks have never been a big concern for me; others have said that I''m beautiful outside and in. Aren''t they sweet? I doubt that they''re being totally truthful, as when I look back on older pictures, I see a much better looking ''me''. I''m not terribly worried, though, as I''ve gained a heck of a lot of wisdom during my lifetime and particularly during the past 20 years and to me that''s priceless.

In my 30''s and 40''s I wore designer clothing, had designer shoes and a fab bag to wear with the outfits - all paid for with the money I earned.

I could go on, but enough rattling on from me....I''m still a da*n classy broad...
35.gif

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Awww, junebug17... I understand what you're going through in part because of what my mom went through. I have to tell you, though. She is a stunning lady. You probably are way hotter than you realize. Just because you don't look like a Victoria Secret model doesn't mean you aren't sexy and stunning in a different way. You can be!

As women age, they get more beautiful over time even into their 80s: if they accept it with grace. Some women in their 50s shop at Bebe and wear belly tops and kudos to them. But I'm talking about the women who are no longer afraid of age and see it as an elixir to their beauty, mystery and wisdom.

Here in NY, I see women walking down the street with white hair and elegance - they are absolutely stunning. And they do turn heads and are very much admired and celebrated for their beauty. Sure, they aren't targets of the construction workers, but now they garner respect and admiration for their grace and loveliness.

Women are lovely, period.

Look at Helen Mirren! She is the epitome of loveliness. Anyone would delight to look upon her beauty. Every woman has this inside of her. Everyone loves to look upon beautiful women, and that means beauty from the inside out. Who can resist smiling at a glowing lady who is radiant with life and happiness? Just remember, you ARE beautiful! Beauty is a choice, I think, more than a side dish that Fate served up.

helen-mirren.jpg

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
June - I know how you feel - I am 39 right now, and I am starting to see notable changes even from 2 years ago... I have stubborn poundage that just wont budge, even with careful mutrition and 1 hour walk on a daily basis. I am starting to have little " chipmunk cheeks" eventhough my ski has NO wrinkles, i can see it starting sagging... and we wont even talk about the whole body... what a disapointment!!!

But you know, i was really depressed a while back and when I went for my physical, my doctor said " It''s not the same Amethyste as I used to know before... Talk to me". so I opened up my heart, cried, told her about my life, all the changes I went through ( in a year I : Lost my dad, lost a great friend to cancer, changed carreer, moved, got married, filed all the paperwork for his greencard... ) She suggested that I have been through a lot and proposed to put me on Celexa for a bit until I re-find myself... and you know what, it really helped me. i am not suggesting you need this at all, but for me, it really helped me to re-focus my priorities and regain this "Joie De Vivre" that I somewhat lost...

But next year, hitting the 4-0 will not be great I can feel it
7.gif
But hey, the alrternative doesn''t sound great, and going back to highschool??? lol...

you are a terrific lady, and I bet you look great in pictures, perhaps a little too harsh on yourself... :)

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
I really have no place in this thread since I''m only 25, but I just wanted to give you a hug and tell you that these feelings are nothing to be ashamed of. Feelings are feelings. You can''t deny them.

As a youngin'' though, I will say that I find my Mum more beautiful now than she was when she was younger. She has an air of class that really can only come with age. While you''re young, you find yourself needing all the accessories and primping to be taken seriously and to show that you have some sort of class but when you''re older it just shines through naturally.

I always find actresses that aren''t in their 20''s and 30''s much more beautiful than all the hollywood ''it'' girls.

Helen Mirren, Julianne Moore, Diane Lane, Monica Belluci, Sophia Loren (God, if i look half as good she does at her age I think i''d crap my pants out of excitement. I don''t think I even look as good as she does now and I''m 25!), Meryl Streep, Ellen Barkin (beautiful!)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I want to share something that a colleague told me last year on his 50th birthday. All of the school's secretaries made a big deal about his 50th, they decorated the main office all in black and wore black themselves, they put up funny signs, etc.

So, when I ran into him in the hallway that day I told him happy birthday and asked how he felt about turning 50.

In response, he said (and this is the little gem of wisdom that I've cherished ever since I heard it:)

"Well, it's always been a goal of mine to make it here, so it feels great. It's definitely better than the alternative."

As someone who has lost more than my share of too-young loved ones to illnesses and horrible accidents, I absolutely love his perspective.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hear ya and truely do understand, I will be 49 in December and I am profanly sad all the time, I just keep thinking is this all there is to life...there has to more, as I have aged not only has my body and health gone to hell, but my happiness....where did the happiness go, seems like I never smile anymore
7.gif
I guess we have to take what live gives us and try to make the best of it....

Steel

Ideal_Rock
console2.gif

I have had many similar thoughts.

I am sorry you feel preoccupied with these thoughts at the moment. Take care.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/18/2009 10:26:55 AM
Author:junebug17
Hi all, I'm going to start this post by saying that my issue is going to sound really stupid and superficial, and it probably is. But I've been experiencing sadness and depression about getting older, and it's particularly bad today to the point that I'm near tears as I type this. The bottom line is that I'm very depressed that I have lost whatever looks I used to have. (btw, I'm 49). It all started when I was about 38 and noticed that I didn't look very good in pictures. I found myself looking at them and saying 'wow, what a bad picture of me'. Then I came across old photos of myself at 24 and realized how much I've changed over the years. I felt like a part of me died when I saw those pictures. Some days are worse than others, but I carry around a general sadness that I look so different. Wrinkles, extra weight, those stupid dark circles around my eyes, even my teeth don't look as good as they used to. I don't even know why I'm placing emhpasis on this, I'm happily married and not looking to attract men or anything like that. I just mourn losing my youth, I guess. And it's not just my appearance, I really miss the energy and enthusiasm for life I had when I was younger. I just feel so 'blah' all of the time now.

I know this is stupid, especially considering the serious problems other people face, and that I may potentially face. I could be stricken with cancer tomorrow, for goodness sake. I should be grateful I have my health, good kids and a great husband. And I AM grateful for that and count my blessings every day. Sometimes doing that helps me snap out of my funk, but there are times I just can't talk myself out of it, like today. I have to drag myself to work right now, and I am just so down. Please be kind in your criticism of me, I fully acknowledge I shouldn't feel like this, and am ashamed of myelf for it. But I guess I was just curious if there's anyone out there who can relate a little. Thanks for taking the time to read this, it feels good to just get it out.

This is one of the most honest, touching and heart-felt posts I have ever read.
I wish I could give you a hug.

In my opinion, we are all tricked.
We are lead to believe that the right way -the only way- to be (and remain) is 21, slim, rich, attractive, successful, smart, funny, lots of friends, etc.
Companies make zillions of dollars off our desire for the impossible.
TV, movies, commercials all work together to reinforce the lie and convince you that product X will make you all that.

This is all about some very smart people making as much money off of you as possible.
Most of us consume hours of this deceiving media every day.
It is no wonder we all feel depressed when reality strikes.

I'm in my 50s.
Two blessings that come with aging is clarity and perspective.
We start to figure out, and eventually accept, that all that stuff I listed above is NOT reality.

Also, at a deeper level we all deny death.
The cycle of birth, life and death is the only thing we all have in common.
We do get used to living and take living for granted.
As we age we look into the mirror and are reminded that we are more than half way through our roller coaster ride of life.

To me this is all good stuff.
It is natural.
Acceping reality makes me want to make each day as happy and full as possible.
Tell your family you love them.
Go for a walk.
Cook a healthy meal.

I see aging as positive precisely because it is reality inducing.
We are finally able to let go of the lie and the fantasy and focus on what is really important.
Advertisers ignore the over-50 demographic precisely because we have figured this out.
It's wonderful actually to finally be free.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Kenny you have this so right that I wish I could publish it on a poster. Hey, maybe I will.

Wonderful, wonderful post that brings warmth to my heart. Thanks.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2009 1:57:01 PM
Author: kenny

I see aging as positive precisely because it is reality inducing.
We are finally able to let go of the lie and the fantasy and focus on what is really important.
Advertisers ignore the over-50 demographic precisely because we have figured this out.
It''s wonderful actually to finally be free.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2009 12:06:53 PM
Author: Haven
I want to share something that a colleague told me last year on his 50th birthday. All of the school''s secretaries made a big deal about his 50th, they decorated the main office all in black and wore black themselves, they put up funny signs, etc.

So, when I ran into him in the hallway that day I told him happy birthday and asked how he felt about turning 50.

In response, he said (and this is the little gem of wisdom that I''ve cherished ever since I heard it:)

''Well, it''s always been a goal of mine to make it here, so it feels great. It''s definitely better than the alternative.''

As someone who has lost more than my share of too-young loved ones to illnesses and horrible accidents, I absolutely love his perspective.
My dad''s always said the same thing. When I was a teen, I used to gently poke fun at him around his birthday, and he always said, "Getting older is better than the alternative."
1.gif

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/18/2009 10:26:55 AM
Author:junebug17
Hi all, I''m going to start this post by saying that my issue is going to sound really stupid and superficial, and it probably is. But I''ve been experiencing sadness and depression about getting older, and it''s particularly bad today to the point that I''m near tears as I type this. The bottom line is that I''m very depressed that I have lost whatever looks I used to have. (btw, I''m 49). It all started when I was about 38 and noticed that I didn''t look very good in pictures. I found myself looking at them and saying ''wow, what a bad picture of me''. Then I came across old photos of myself at 24 and realized how much I''ve changed over the years. I felt like a part of me died when I saw those pictures. Some days are worse than others, but I carry around a general sadness that I look so different. Wrinkles, extra weight, those stupid dark circles around my eyes, even my teeth don''t look as good as they used to. I don''t even know why I''m placing emhpasis on this, I''m happily married and not looking to attract men or anything like that. I just mourn losing my youth, I guess. And it''s not just my appearance, I really miss the energy and enthusiasm for life I had when I was younger. I just feel so ''blah'' all of the time now.

I know this is stupid, especially considering the serious problems other people face, and that I may potentially face. I could be stricken with cancer tomorrow, for goodness sake. I should be grateful I have my health, good kids and a great husband. And I AM grateful for that and count my blessings every day. Sometimes doing that helps me snap out of my funk, but there are times I just can''t talk myself out of it, like today. I have to drag myself to work right now, and I am just so down. Please be kind in your criticism of me, I fully acknowledge I shouldn''t feel like this, and am ashamed of myelf for it. But I guess I was just curious if there''s anyone out there who can relate a little. Thanks for taking the time to read this, it feels good to just get it out.
I think a lot of women feel the way you do. Just please don''t get plastic surgery! Then, you''ll look freakish!

I want to remind you to smile and laugh as much as possible. It not only makes you feel better, but you''ll also look better now and in the future. I saw this special on the Discovery channel several years ago on aging. They were talking about how your facial expressions determine how your wrinkles set. They did computer simulations of how a woman''s face would age when she smiled a lot versus when she didn''t. The aged face when she smiled a lot looked drastically better!

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I went through some depression in my late 40''s. I think some of this may be hormonal, and just a lot of life changes (kids leaving home and things like that).
What helped me was realizing that you can''t control a lot of things about growing older, you ARE going to get wrinkles and grey hair but you can control your health and energy level (in most cases. People do get diseases, but you don''t sou d as if you have).
I got an eating plan and got my cholesterol way down without meds, made a point of walking outside every day for 1/2 hour and then gradually took up bicycling, playing golf, zumba classes at the gym, and took swimming lessons. My husband and I took up ballroom dancing. I have a ton of energy now as a result and honestly feel better than I did when I was 35 and had babies keeping me up all night. I also got some books out of the library on dressing to make the most of my figure (there are PLE NTY of books on this subject) and got my colors done and started wearing the right ones for me (turns out I''m an ''autu mn'' a nd I do look as if my skin is better when I wear brown than when I wear glaring white). But honestly, with all my new hobbies I don''t have time to look at old photos and worry that I looked better back in the day. I had problems then that I''ve forgot about, to be honest. That was then, this is now.
Paying attention to your spiritual side also helps a lot--I got very involved in my church (which also has the side benefit of doi ng things for others worse off, makes you feel better you know?)
Hugs to you.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
So what's your current physical activity regime? How often do you give your body's cells the benefits of good, regular, heart-pumpin' exercise?

It's so easy to overlook in our busy times, but the benefits are so easily observed in our friends when we see that they've made it a priority for themselves, isn't it?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know about you but the end of the last 2 decades of my life have been tough... 28 and 29 and now 38 and 39. But when I turned 30 I felt refreshed... I am betting I feel that way at 40 again, fresh slate. Now... I''m not saying that the feeling entirely will go away, but it seemed to go about a decade for you as well (I can only assume you were okay in your early 40''s)... do you think you''ll embrace 50?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

{{{Hugs Junebug}}}

I think you should go see your family doc and tell them how you feel. It may take some medication.
I assume you already know that you are entering menopause timeframe. This may be affecting your
hormones. I think once your mood is boosted a little it will be easier to make some other changes
that will also make you feel better. There are some little things you can do that should help you look
and feel better. I''m a firm believer that when you look better you feel better ( I know it doesnt solve
everything).
1 dress sharp - I''m a SAHM so this doesnt mean get up and put on a business suit but it does mean have an
updated wardrobe. For me it measn cute skorts, capris, and tops/shirts. My MIL is 80 and still dresses sharp.
The only time you see her in any strechy fabric is when she is cleaning the house. I''m hoping when I''m
her age I dress as sharp as she does.
2 new makeup routine - someone else mentioned this (and I need to go do this too). I started wearing bare
essentuials and love it. Gives me a very natural look. Try to find some good undereye cover to help with
the dark circles. I have had dark circles pretty much all my life but I cover them with concealer.
3 Have your teeth whitened - either with a home kit or do the zoom thing if money isnt an issue. After you
have them whitened use whitening mouthwash to keep them white.
4 If you age spots start using some lightener. I actually had photofacial done (I think thats what its called)
to get rid of some spots on my face. Now I use Porcelana (cheap at walgreens) to hold the spots at bay.
Wear suntan lotion on your face whenever you are out. (I live in FL so this is a big one for me - especailly
after paying for the photofacial).
5 If you wear glasses, get an updated modern pair. Look for that "Sara Palin" look but for your face. The
kind that makes you feel good.

I would consider most of these things superficious. The main thing is to talk to your doc first.
He might want to check your hormone levels (or your thyroid). He will also fill you in on the
the ones we pretty much always hear: eating healthy and exercise. Most people swear by
exercise but if I''m feeling down then I hardly feel motivated to go do it.
I''ll be 48 next month and in general I feel pretty good. Do I look like I use to when I was 30? No, but
I''m at peace (so-far) with my aging. There may come a time when I look into some less evasive
(dare I say) plastic surgery. But for now everything is good. I hope you feel better Junebug.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Junebug! I can relate! I was 50 last April. My whole 49th year I spent in a funk thinking about how old I was. Fifty isn''t so bad. I am actually quite happy and proud of my age! Embrace it and dress spiffy, get a makeover, try something new, make a list of things you never did...
I guarantee you after that birthday comes you will feel much better. And hey-get that MORE magazine! It has GREAT articles for women our age!

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Junebug,

I relate to how you''re feeling because I have a birthday coming up in a couple of months, and I am in my late 30''s. I still don''t know how I got old this quick! I still feel 20 something most days, and I still have a lot of energy, but I look in the mirror and realize I don''t look like I did in my 20''s. It''s depressing, but I try not to think about it too much. Dwelling on it is never good. As you said, you have a great husband and good kids. My husband is still extremely attracted to m,e and that helps with how I feel. But, believe me, I wish I could get rid of the dark circles under my eyes and lose some weight just for my own benefit. I do try to evercise at least 3 times a week, and I think that not only helps with the energy level, but it also helps keep the sadness away. So, if you don''t exercise already, I would put that into your schedule. Also, don''t be afraid to talk with your doctor if your feelings continue.

crystalheart1

Brilliant_Rock
JuneBug,,, I am 49 and this is something I went through in the past ten years. I know it is difficult , I am sorry you are feeling this right now.. and you have the correct mind set that you are healthy, and safe.

I don''t agree with those saying don''t get Plastic Surgery,, I did . It was VERY well done and I don''t have that " LOOK" like I did something to my face
I get compliments all the time, and people who don''t me can''t believe my age.

I don''t look like I have had any work done.. I don''t have that pulled look at all. I also use Retin A daily.

It is not for everyone, as it is an emotional and financial decision. .. But I know how it is being upset when you look at yourself and not liking what you see... Nothing can fix this but improving how you look..

This was the best thing I did for myself in years... I was also single and dating..I am now happily married.
5.gif

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You might want to see your doctor because you could be suffering from depression. Fixating on how different you look could be a symptom of the depression rather than the cause of it, particularly if you feel you''ve kind of lost your spark. I''m 55 and I don''t look like I did at 25, 35 or 45, but I don''t have a general sadness about it nor do I feel I''ve lost my zest for life. And there''s no reason to be ashamed if you are suffering from depression. Your doctor can help you find a therapist or medication or some combination of both.

I also wouldn''t automatically attribute the feelings you''re having to hormonal changes from pre-menopause or menopause. The hormonal changes affect different women differently. I''ve had hot flashes and insomnia and irritability, all of it manageable without HRT, but I haven''t felt depressed. I do think that the more a woman attributes her sense of self to how she looks, the harder the aging process is for her. But even if that''s you, you should still be able to seek help without feeling embarrassed. No one should have to live her life in sadness.

beechezz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/18/2009 4:12:40 PM
Author: coda72
Junebug,

I relate to how you''re feeling because I have a birthday coming up in a couple of months, and I am in my late 30''s. I still don''t know how I got old this quick! I still feel 20 something most days, and I still have a lot of energy, but I look in the mirror and realize I don''t look like I did in my 20''s. It''s depressing, but I try not to think about it too much. Dwelling on it is never good. As you said, you have a great husband and good kids. My husband is still extremely attracted to m,e and that helps with how I feel. But, believe me, I wish I could get rid of the dark circles under my eyes and lose some weight just for my own benefit. I do try to evercise at least 3 times a week, and I think that not only helps with the energy level, but it also helps keep the sadness away. So, if you don''t exercise already, I would put that into your schedule. Also, don''t be afraid to talk with your doctor if your feelings continue.
Oh Junebug
39.gif

My heart goes out to you sweetie! I agree with the others, and maybe you should try to get into a new exercise regime ( you can meet some new people, and that always makes me feel better), do some really nice things FOR yourself to make you feel better (new hair/makeup/wardrobe), and if this doesn''t work than you MUST talk to your Doc! Aging should not be so depressing, I know I am younger than you (only by 9 years), but I made a vow to make this year MY year. Life is too short, and this year believe it or not-the big 40-I wasn''t depressed on my birthday, but I did feel my mortality. I told myself I was going to step out of my box and try to take every new opportunity that presented itself to me.

Please take care of yourself, you know we are always here for you!
5.gif

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Junebug, Please, please, PLEASE have your thyroid checked! Sounds simple, but one of the major causes of depression and low energy and just feeling BLAH is thyroid disorders!

I am turning 42 in a couple of months and have fought depression and extreme fatigue the last few years...I knew there was something wrong, but my blood work always came back within normal range. I even thought I was going through early menopause! After developing every classic symptom of low thyroid, I finally found a Dr. who let me try a prescription dose to see if that was the problem after all...and it was. After just 2 weeks on the meds I felt better than I had in YEARS.

Don''t just look at the obvious ''getting older'' as the reason you are feeling down, it may be a health issue! And even if your thyroid results are normal, you may not be processing the thyroid hormone properly, which is what I had for YEARS.

Turning 50 can be fun, I had a great time turning 40...I chose to focus on the new decade and experiencing new things! I have had a VERY difficult 2 years since then, health issues, marriage stress, both are much better, but nothing is EVER perfect.

I hope you feel better soon and please see a Dr. about this, get some blood work done to be sure nothing weird is going on!
21.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2009 4:37:44 PM
Author: crystalheart1
JuneBug,,, I am 49 and this is something I went through in the past ten years. I know it is difficult , I am sorry you are feeling this right now.. and you have the correct mind set that you are healthy, and safe.

I don't agree with those saying don't get Plastic Surgery,, I did . It was VERY well done and I don't have that ' LOOK' like I did something to my face

I get compliments all the time, and people who don't me can't believe my age.

I don't look like I have had any work done.. I don't have that pulled look at all. I also use Retin A daily.

It is not for everyone, as it is an emotional and financial decision. .. But I know how it is being upset when you look at yourself and not liking what you see... Nothing can fix this but improving how you look..

This was the best thing I did for myself in years... I was also single and dating..I am now happily married.
5.gif

Ditto the comment on the plastic surgery being a good possibility. I'm certainly not saying plastic surgery is the answer and you'll feel 20 years younger, but I know someone who had a small (not sure if that is the right word-mild?) face lift done and she felt so much better afterwards. Her face is not pulled tight at all. She really looks pretty much the same age, actually, but a bit fresher.

I also second the recommendations to look into an anti-depressant. It sounds to me like this is a bit deeper than just being bummed out about your looks. I hope something gives and things start looking up for you soon!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results