shape
carat
color
clarity

Democrat or Republican?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SandraPaneczko

Shiny_Rock
Hi guys,

I know a lot of you only by your pictures, rings, or responses to mine and other posts so... I''m curious to know your political party.

Are you Democrat or Republican? (those who are comfortable sharing)

I know some people who wont even tell me because they assume the conversation will become a debate but I enjoy it, as long as we stay civil.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
my guess...70% Democrats here on PS.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am a republican but voted for Obama.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Registered Democrat, here!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2009 11:48:18 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

No way. Remember your poll? 'Pubs were 'ahead' the last time I checked. Maybe they're just the rare, quiet kind of conservative.
9.gif
12.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/17/2009 12:55:25 AM
Author: EBree

No way. Remember your poll? ''Pubs were ''ahead'' the last time I checked. Maybe they''re just the rare, quiet kind of conservative.
9.gif
12.gif
MW,Karen and thing2 did all the talking
blah.gif
the conservatives kept quiet. well...except for HollyS whom was fighting a losing battle.
9.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I''m a registered independent.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am also registered Unaffiliated/Independent. That is necessary because of the dynamics of our local politics where democrats have dominated for many years. We gave financial support to our current Democrat mayor who is a good friend. However, in national elections, I am more conservative on some issues and most often vote Republican. However, I look at every candidate individually and that is why I am registered Unaffiliated.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
my favorite is the kick em all out party.
or the none of the above party.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2009 11:26:48 PM
Author:SandraPaneczko
Hi guys,

I know a lot of you only by your pictures, rings, or responses to mine and other posts so... I''m curious to know your political party.

Are you Democrat or Republican? (those who are comfortable sharing)

I know some people who wont even tell me because they assume the conversation will become a debate but I enjoy it, as long as we stay civil.
Ha! You haven''t read much in here have ya??
9.gif
2.gif

I vote Democrat, but in reality, I lean both ways.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/17/2009 1:09:50 PM
Author: strmrdr
Haha! I might re-register for that!

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
I am neither, really. I register as a Democrat because it's the party I usually vote for in large-scale elections, and I like to have a voice in the primaries. The most liberal Democratic candidates that get trounced early on are closest to my views in more mainstream politics, but what most people think of as the "Democratic Party" is a pretty decent stretch from my personal views.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
1/17/2009 12:55:25 AM

Date:
1/16/2009 11:48:18 PM

No way. Remember your poll? ''Pubs were ''ahead'' the last time I checked.

But not all Pricescopers who voted in the real elections voted in DF''s poll ;-).

Deborah
34.gif

AllieGator

Shiny_Rock
Staunch Democrat...I campaigned for Obama, am the president of Young Democrats at my school, but I have alot of friends who are republicans and/or more conservative then I am. So I can''t be that much of a bleeding heart liberal.
3.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2009 6:11:00 AM

Date: 1/17/2009 12:55:25 AM

No way. Remember your poll? ''Pubs were ''ahead'' the last time I checked. Maybe they''re just the rare, quiet kind of conservative.
9.gif
12.gif
MW,Karen and thing2 did all the talking
blah.gif
the conservatives kept quiet. well...except for HollyS whom was fighting a losing battle.
9.gif
I coulda used a little help. Every now and then. Ya know?
9.gif

In my state, you don''t have to ''register'' as any particular party. I vote for the candidate, not the party. DH and I had both Republican and Democrat campaign signs in our front yard this fall. Karen can now pick herself up off the floor.
2.gif

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It takes a lot more than that to knock me to the ground.

I see it as just more evidence of how weak the parties really are in America. How many times have you heard someone IRL, or on this board say, "I'm a registered [insert party here]....BUT, I don't vote the party, I vote the PERSON. I really wonder then, why the vast interest in official party affiliation - other than a neat and tidy way to pigeonhole people and so we all know how to line up for "the team". I mean, heck, it clearly doesn't actually MEAN anything, to judge by the responses most people give. I wonder how many of us, when we first registered to vote, even KNEW what was the platform of the party we registered with, other than in the most general way, especially those of us who came of age before the advent of the omnipresent personal computer, let alone the internet, where everything is simply one click away, instead of requiring any real effort to know. I know when I registered at 18, I did not.

At one of the DH's in-services, he got a cool cool book entitled "The Enduring Debate - Classic and Contemporary Readings in American Politics". In it is a very interesting essay on the decline of the power of the parties in US politics. A fascinating read, and resonated quite well as explanation for why we see many of the problems that we do in our politics.

A tiny excerpt:

"The increased fragmentation of the party in government makes it more difficult for government officeholders to work together than in times past (not that is has ever been terribly easy). Voters meanwhile have a more difficult time attributing responsibility for government performance, and this only further fragments party control. The result is lessened collective responsibility in the system.

What has taken up the slack left by weakening of the traditional [party] determinants of congressional voting? It appears that a variety of personal and local influences now play a major role in citizen evaluations of their representatives.
The withering away of the party organizations and the weakening of party in the electorate have begun to show up as disarray in the party in government. As the electoral fates of congressmen and the president have diverged, their incentives to cooperate have diverged as well. Congressmen have little personal incentive to bear any risk in their president's behalf, since they no longer expect to gain much from his successes or suffer much from his failures. Only those who personally agree with the president's program and/or those who find the program well suited for their particular district support the president. And there are not enough of these to construct the coalitions necessary for action on the major issues now facing the country. By holding only the president responsible for national conditions, the electorate enables officialdom as a whole to escape responsibility. This situation lies at the root of many of the problems that now plague American public life."

end excerpt

Naturally, there was lots more than that. A very thought provoking piece.....

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Democrat, of course! Although like Wishful, most of the well-known Democrats aren''t liberal enough for me.

starsapphire

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/18/2009 10:37:58 AM
Author: thing2of2
Democrat, of course! Although like Wishful, most of the well-known Democrats aren''t liberal enough for me.

I wonder what that means.....exactly what would you have them do that they are not doing?

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I''m "decline to state" which apparently translates to Independent. I proudly and enthusiatically voted for Obama. I consider myself to be transpartisan.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2009 11:24:45 AM
Author: starsapphire
Date: 1/18/2009 10:37:58 AM

Author: thing2of2

I wonder what that means.....exactly what would you have them do that they are not doing?

Gay marriage is the first thing. I think it should be 100% legal and I can''t stand it that most Democrats say they''re against gay marriage but they''re not opposed to civil unions. I think it''s a case of separate but equal, and that didn''t work out so well the last time we tried it.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
heavy sigh: the only choices are Dem and Rep? me, i''m Green.

movie zombie

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2009 12:31:16 PM
Author: movie zombie

movie zombie
And you wear it well!
21.gif

I switched from the Green Party to the independent after I was disenfranchised during the primary from being able to vote between Hillary and Obama.
6.gif
I hadn''t even remembered that I previously switched to Green Party from my prior Independant Party registration.

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
I''m registered Independent . I tend to be moderate on fiscal issues and liberal on social issues/civil rights/etc.. I''m also a "globalist" by which I mean that I place a good deal of importance on our (the U.S.) relationships with other countries and our standing in the world community.

You can probably guess that the last 8 years have been tough for me!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I sit in the middle..I''m conservative about some things, but then I''m more liberal on others. And even then, I don''t know that it''s a case, for me, of being extreme far right or extreme far left on any one thing. With the exception of the local elections where I generally know most of the people involved, I feel like I''m forced to choose between the lesser of two evils. (or the evil of two lessers, as someone on another forum called it)

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Karen makes a good point about the growing ineffectiveness and lessening influence on the average voter by the national parties. At least I hope she''s right about that. Sometimes I think we all wish they would just simply ''shut up''. An ordinary American is perfectly capable of understanding the issues, without the party spin doctors, and making their decisions based upon what they feel is best for themselves and our country. Isn''t that what a democracy is all about? We won''t always agree, and we don''t have to; but by and large, most of us understand the importance of ''government FOR the people, BY the people''. And goodness knows, both parties have been guilty of trying to shove government down our throats, in bites we don''t want to take.

No matter our party affiliation, we need to remember to vote with our minds,hearts, and souls; and to put our money, time, and voice to causes we believe in.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2009 1:09:50 PM
Author: strmrdr
Hehe, I resonate with this. I''m a libertarian, but voted for the constitution party in the last election...I can''t remember the last time I voted for a democrat or republican for any office.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/18/2009 7:18:58 PM
Author: packrat
I think I sit in the middle..I''m conservative about some things, but then I''m more liberal on others. And even then, I don''t know that it''s a case, for me, of being extreme far right or extreme far left on any one thing. With the exception of the local elections where I generally know most of the people involved, I feel like I''m forced to choose between the lesser of two evils. (or the evil of two lessers, as someone on another forum called it)
Yes. It''s called compromise. It has always been the strength of our form of government.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2009 7:33:13 PM
Author: HollyS
Karen makes a good point about the growing ineffectiveness and lessening influence on the average voter by the national parties. At least I hope she''s right about that. Sometimes I think we all wish they would just simply ''shut up''. An ordinary American is perfectly capable of understanding the issues, without the party spin doctors, and making their decisions based upon what they feel is best for themselves and our country. Isn''t that what a democracy is all about? We won''t always agree, and we don''t have to; but by and large, most of us understand the importance of ''government FOR the people, BY the people''. And goodness knows, both parties have been guilty of trying to shove government down our throats, in bites we don''t want to take.

No matter our party affiliation, we need to remember to vote with our minds,hearts, and souls; and to put our money, time, and voice to causes we believe in.
OMG...I agree with Holly
6.gif
Well said, indeed! I am a registered Independent.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2009 12:44:41 PM
Author: miraclesrule

Date: 1/18/2009 12:31:16 PM
Author: movie zombie

movie zombie
And you wear it well!
21.gif

I switched from the Green Party to the independent after I was disenfranchised during the primary from being able to vote between Hillary and Obama.
6.gif
I hadn''t even remembered that I previously switched to Green Party from my prior Independant Party registration.
sometimes i cheat and change registration so i can effect the primary....then switch back to Green.

movie zombie

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2009 11:45:39 AM
Author: risingsun

Date: 1/18/2009 7:33:13 PM
Author: HollyS

OMG...I agree with Holly
6.gif
Well said, indeed! I am a registered Independent.
and another OMG i agree with Holly! indeed, very sell stated!

movie zombie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results