shape
carat
color
clarity

decorating question/wood blinds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I am missing a decorating gene and need opinions.

I am replacing the blinds in my upstairs bedroom with wood blinds. In my room and one of my son''''s room they have regular single windows. OK, just get the blind no problems.

But in my other son''''s room and my duaghter''''s room they have 2 windows smooshed together within one large frame. Hard to describe but its two windows close together with molding in between and modling around the whole frame. So it gives the effect of one huge window but its really two.

So should I get one huge blind that covers both, or make it two seperate blinds that are pushed close together so there is no gap??

I can think of advantages to both. ONe is a bit cheaper but not significant enough to influence my decision.

What do you all think??

I am going with a dark stain in my boy''''s rooms and a natural white wash in my room and daughters rooms. Its gonna look great. I have always wanted wood blinds.

And best of all they are on sale now at home depot. I am going to have them measure and install so I don''''t screw it up.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
two

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Two - I had the same kind of windows in my old bedroom & living room (actually 3 windows in living room) and getting separate wood blinds was definitely the way to go.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree--two is the way to go.

By the way, are you 100% set on wood? There are some great options out there that look like wood but cost A LOT less. I''m going through the same process right now for the bay window in my office and I was surprised when I ran across the synthetic option that looks just as good (in my opinion) and costs a lot less. I am looking at white so that might make a difference (not sure how the synthetic colored woods look) but I thought I''d throw it out there in case you were still deciding.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
two. my old room at my parents was a very wide three part window across the entire room, with no molding between but there was a window on each end/side (middle was one piece, no window) and they put in a three part wood blind so you could open just the blind on the window parts if you wanted - I liked this because you can still have part of the shades/one window open, and the rest closed... the wood blinds kinda clang around alot if it''s windy, the blinds are closed, and the window is open.

I hope this makes sense, I don''t know the technical terms to describe the windows, unfortunately.
14.gif

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all. It looks like 2 blinds is the way to go. After I posted my 9 year old poitned out to me that the sun may be coming from one angle and 2 blinds would let him close one but still get light from the other. His desk is right in front of his window so he can look out when doing homework or his drawing (he loves to draw). So I think 2 would not only look nicer but would give him more flexibility for light choice. Same for my girls room. Since there are 2 of them that share the room, each girl can control her own blind, LOL.

I looked into fake wood. The fake wood was actually heavier than real so I am going with real. but for the bathrooms (2 of them) I am going for fake. I was told anyplace humid can''t take real wood. So fake in the bathrooms real in the bedrooms.

they are coming on Saturday to measure.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Absolutey 2 is the way to go. Not only is it more versatile, but if you think you will want to raise the blind, a single very wide wood blind is very heavy and can be difficult to raise. Also, they can be made with 2 blinds under 1 headrail. It may be less expensive that way too as opposed to two separate rails -- price it out.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Two! Easier to operate and as pointed out - more versitile.

I don''t know about the fake wood - but the real wood blinds are GREAT insulators.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I say 2. But check out the website www.justblinds.com before buying at HD. I am getting my wood blinds from them.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2006 8:58:53 AM
Author: DiamondLil
Absolutey 2 is the way to go. Not only is it more versatile, but if you think you will want to raise the blind, a single very wide wood blind is very heavy and can be difficult to raise. Also, they can be made with 2 blinds under 1 headrail. It may be less expensive that way too as opposed to two separate rails -- price it out.
Agree with this! If you can put two blinds on the same headrail, not only will it look better, but it might be cheaper and it will be very versatile!

We got cellular shades and I LOOOVEE them, especially with the top-down option. We live in the city so I don''t need everybody looking in but sometimes just need light, so I open them from the top. There are so many cool options in window treatments now.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results