shape
carat
color
clarity

Decision made, need your help one more time! (Verragio Setting)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AJ

Rough_Rock
Okay guys, I made a final decision and placed my order for this Verragio...I am sooooo excited, if you recall, I am doing an ACA Princess Cut for my center stone, I think it will be grand!!!

NOW, for the fun part, I need your help, the prongs tips on this are rounded for the round diamond, Verragio told me they could make them V Prongs for princess cut diamond, I got an opinion from a pricescope vendor that said, they wouldn''t change to V because they THOUGHT it would change the look and I would lose the flowing look of the ring and it would become boxy looking...okay, well I emailed Verragio and got this answer:

"...also, the "v prongs" will not alter the look of the ring that much. The "v" will be on all four corners of the princess stone. The side view will look pretty much the same as it would with a round stone"

Okay, based on this info, what do you guys think, if about the prong tips, go with the "V prongs" or stay with the rounded prongs for my princess cut...oh by the way, they said it I stayed with the rounded my corners will still be okay...okay, let me hear your opinions on the look, V or rounded?

The ps vendor said the V will make it look boxy and lose the flowing look, and V would cover the diamond, but I thought the rounded would cover the top of the corners of the diamond...what are your thoughts, I need to call Verragio by Monday if I need to change to V...

AJ

Rough_Rock
picture:

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I think small, delicate "V" corner prongs would be lovely, PLUS would protect the corners of the stone. Just stress to the vendor, "small" and "delicate"!
2.gif

AJ

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/21/2007 8:18:19 AM
Author: Lynn B
I think small, delicate ''V'' corner prongs would be lovely, PLUS would protect the corners of the stone. Just stress to the vendor, ''small'' and ''delicate''!
2.gif
Do you think the rounded cornerprongs are a far cry from the small, delicate ''v'' corner prongs?

I like the way you put that, ''small'' and ''delicate'', I will surely use those terms if I choose to go this route...still deciding, but I will have a final verdict TODAY...thanks!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2007 8:18:19 AM
Author: Lynn B
I think small, delicate ''V'' corner prongs would be lovely, PLUS would protect the corners of the stone. Just stress to the vendor, ''small'' and ''delicate''!
2.gif
I agree.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just me but I would never set a Princess cut or any stone with a pointed corner in any prongs other than V prongs. I know designs have changed over the years but I have been on the forums for five years and more on other forums and way back then everyone was of the decision that V prongs should be usesd on stones with corners. Infact on another forum a woman got her pear shaped diamond reset in a ring with normal prongs, and all the experts were telling her it was not safe. She, however, preferred it like that and left if like that, we never heard of anything happening to it. Her ring though had no prong at all over the point but I think it had a platform under the whole diamond maybe a basket but not just prongs beneath it.

AJ

Rough_Rock
maybe is just my vision, but for some reason I can''t invision this with V corner prongs, not that I don''t want it, I just can''t invision it, so you guys be my eyes here....tell me this, with ''small'' and ''delicate'' v corner prongs, does the overall look change from flowing to more form and boxy OR am I just not seeing it from a design perspective...hey, I''m a numbers guy and I''m just not imaginitive, I think my clients appreciate my lack of imagination in my work...LOL

Anyway, just let me know, and I know what the folks at Verragio said, but I''m looking for unbiased views, would this, in your opinion, enhance the look, detract from the look, or no effect the overall look at all?

Thanks, I love all the comments
36.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Appearence, preference should take a back seat to safety. Protect those delicate stone corners with the V. They mimic the same angle the stone is forming...it it not like OH MY STARS what are those things on the CORNER of your stone?

V! V! V! Victory over cracked, chipped, damaged stone: Now I have to contact insurance company(can''t reach your agent as he is upstate in Elmira for the holiday)...have to box it up....must ship it out(line at the postoffice was a mile long)....have to search for new stone (3 weeks) ....find one that must fit in original setting-piece of cake....ship the ring to the jeweler(5 days)...just learned the replacement stone is too large for head...add another 2 weeks to the mix to start over...Arrgghhhhh.

Why the headache? Worry about where to order the takeout...not replacing your cracked stone because you chose the wrong prong. GO V!!!

Of course this little renactment may not be typical for you...but wanted to give you some insight into the possibilties.
2.gif

DKS

Kasey3

Shiny_Rock
I think your ring will look great with the v-prongs. I did a search and found a similar example of your soon to be ring at Billbarnes: http://www.billbarnes.com/product.asp?product=14858 and I think it is very pretty, AND the v prongs will protect the stone.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Most definitely, the delicate "v" prongs. I wouldn''t want the risk of the rounded prongs with your princess. I''m sure it will be beautiful!

AJ

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/21/2007 11:07:17 AM
Author: Kasey3
I think your ring will look great with the v-prongs. I did a search and found a similar example of your soon to be ring at Billbarnes: http://www.billbarnes.com/product.asp?product=14858 and I think it is very pretty, AND the v prongs will protect the stone.
PERFECT!!!! HEADACHE OVER!!!!

You are the greatest Kasey!!!!!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Okay, guys, the next time you hear any fuse from me it will because I can''t posts my pictures of this beauty or somthing like, that!!! YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

I will post or attempt to post pics as soon as its done. PEACE!

Kasey3

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/21/2007 12:46:15 PM
Author: AJ

Date: 7/21/2007 11:07:17 AM
Author: Kasey3
PERFECT!!!! HEADACHE OVER!!!!

You are the greatest Kasey!!!!!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Okay, guys, the next time you hear any fuse from me it will because I can''t posts my pictures of this beauty or somthing like, that!!! YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

I will post or attempt to post pics as soon as its done. PEACE!
Thanks AJ, I am so glad that I could help! I can''t wait to see your finished ring so don''t forget to post when its done!!!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I agree that the Verragio ring will look fine with V-prongs, and you should probably get it that way. But I''m going to be the devil''s advocate here...since I have a princess set in a non-V prongset, I have to defend my baby! I custom-designed a setting that called for a very delicate split prongset (you can see pics of it here). There was no way a V-prong would have worked with the design I had in mind. The very finely split, delicate prongs were what made the ring feminine. I haven''t regretted it at all. Granted, it''s only been a little over 2 months since the ring came in, but I''ve been fairly careful with it and haven''t managed to cause any damage. But a few PSers did convince me to insure it, since my non-V design leaves the corners more prone to breakage.

So, my bottom line is that V-prongs are not always the answer, but if you don''t get them (and even if you do), insure that puppy!

AJ

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/21/2007 1:01:16 PM
Author: jstarfireb
I agree that the Verragio ring will look fine with V-prongs, and you should probably get it that way. But I''m going to be the devil''s advocate here...since I have a princess set in a non-V prongset, I have to defend my baby! I custom-designed a setting that called for a very delicate split prongset (you can see pics of it here). There was no way a V-prong would have worked with the design I had in mind. The very finely split, delicate prongs were what made the ring feminine. I haven''t regretted it at all. Granted, it''s only been a little over 2 months since the ring came in, but I''ve been fairly careful with it and haven''t managed to cause any damage. But a few PSers did convince me to insure it, since my non-V design leaves the corners more prone to breakage.

So, my bottom line is that V-prongs are not always the answer, but if you don''t get them (and even if you do), insure that puppy!

Ohhh, that is a very pretty ring...
9.gif

So I guess I can''t go wrong...
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Jstar..

Your ring is a beauty!
36.gif
I missed it, sorry. Would it be fair to describe your prongs as an inbetween design? It appears that you have two wires that come up to make your heart prong.

A single round tipped wire would not flank your stones corners as yours do. You basically got pretty close in the security of a v, in the two wires that make your prongs...you just opted to end them with a heart instead of a V.

Correct that assumption if you may...I am only looking an your photo images...you have your ring there.

DKS

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with everyone, the V prongs will protect the stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results