shape
carat
color
clarity

Decision Between 2 BGD Hearts and Arrows Cushion

FloodOfFire

Rough_Rock
Looking for advice and personal recommendations deciding between 2 BGD cushion. One is of his Signature series and the other of the Black series. Both roughly the same in size, color and price.

The Black series is a hair larger in face size though a pin drop smaller in carat size. While a grade lower in color, G, it has the same clarity grade, VS2. Albeit, the inclusions are more well hidden and basically unseen.

The Signature series as mentioned is a pin drop larger in carat and hair smaller in face size. With a color grade of F, and some small inclusion on the face.

The indecision comes down to the ASET, Ideal Scope and Heart image. With the Signature series in my opinion being a clear winner in both ASET and Ideal Scope. However, as you may know the Black series is reported to be cut to optimize light performance, in addition to having a marginal better Heart image.

So, my question is: Will the difference in ASET and Ideal Scope results make a noticeable difference between the two? I feel as if the Black series may be a little duller in the middle as seen in ASET and Ideal Scope. But then again I have been staring back and forth at the two for an extended amount of time. Knowing the Imagery beforehand, is this all in my head and clouding my judgement? Or would it be wise to take the price cut with the 'optimized' cut of the black series, and does this slight variation in cut preform better in person then compared solely to ASET and Ideal Scope?

Brian Gavin Signature:
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...nd-ags-104097793025#!prettyPhoto[gallery2]/1/

Black by Brian Gavin:
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...-bkags-104100524003#!prettyPhoto[gallery2]/1/

This is also my first time dealing with BGD, should I be trying to see if they will supply to a jeweler to see both in person. If so what is the best way of going about this? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
(Apologies for the long winded post if you have made it this far.)

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both should be cut to the highest standards and perform very well so, personally, I'd prefer the 'cleaner' one!

(I'm on the phone so haven't checked them.)

Last edited:

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The indecision comes down to the ASET, Ideal Scope and Heart image. With the Signature series in my opinion being a clear winner in both ASET and Ideal Scope. However, as you may know the Black series is reported to be cut to optimize light performance, in addition to having a marginal better Heart image.

So, my question is: Will the difference in ASET and Ideal Scope results make a noticeable difference between the two? I feel as if the Black series may be a little duller in the middle as seen in ASET and Ideal Scope.
What makes you think this?

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I’m far from a cushion expert, but either one of these diamonds looks like a great pick to me. Go with whichever one you like the looks of better.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had one of BGDs cushions and they are beautiful. I would personally go for the cheaper of the two which also happens to be the Black. G is still plenty white and to me it would be worth the savings. Do you know how you will set it?

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'd pick up the phone and call them or send a quick email. They will be able to answer all of your questions then and there, with no pressure.

They will give you their honest opinion on both stones to help you make your decision.

They're great to deal with and I know you won't be disappointed with whichever one you choose.

Good luck.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They have the stones in house. Perhaps they could photograph or video the two side by side?

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both beautiful stones - G is very white and I would save the few thousand extra or put it into the setting over the F that's smaller and that also has a black inclusion under the table. Agree with others that you should call them and ask them to compare both side by side.

FloodOfFire

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your input and vote of confidence.

@flyingpig I just personally thought there was a tiny bit more brilliance from the center of the signature series. However this could very well just be from a slightly different camera angle or all in my head also.
After analyzing the ASET and Ideal Scope it appears there is more direct lighting in the center of the arrows. With the Ideal Scope being more vivid and no light leakage from the center of the arrows. I have been trying to scrutinize the both of them a little bit, to the point where I believe you are reassuring me I have gone overboard.

All in all, I am basically splitting hairs here. And in no way saying either is a poor diamond. That being said, I still would like to try and make the best decision as possible.

@SimoneDi It will hopefully be set in a 18k Rose gold split shank 'rope appearance' solitaire. Also to be crafted by BGD.

@KirstLWA and @ringo865 I very much like this idea of inquiring about them being put side by side to get a more definitive confirmation with the same angles and lighting.

Believe it or not they actually called me earlier today, due to the fact that I inquired about an ASET image from which was missing on the Black. I can attest that they are a pleasure to speak with and were also steering myself in the direction the majority appears to be pointing of the Black. I was not trying to discredit there recommendation one bit, however it is always good to receive an outside perspective.

Please critique and educate my thoughts in any and all ways. I by no means am a diamond expert and always looking to educate myself more. I can thank the mass majority of my knowledge to Price Scope, it's been a great help and a pleasure to finally join.

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see your dilemma. Both are gorgeous. Generally speaking I would jump all over the Black series as its Brian's current "elite" cut and should perform better than the Signature.

I would definitely call Lesley @ BGD and ask her to pull both stones and compare them. She is Brian's wife and a total sweetheart. In short, they bend over backwards to make customers happy. If you raise your concerns with the Black I suspect Brian may chime in and get into nitty gritty details.

My girls stone is a BGD Blue and I have been thrilled with the stone and the excellent customer service I've received. Hands down I fully recommend BGD to you.

Both stones will be eye clean but have Lesley confirm either way. Color may or may not be an issue for you. G is awesome and super ideals face up whiter. That said, if you or your girl is super sensitive to color you MIGHT notice the ever so slightest tint on the side of the stone. It will be very minor and not something I'm sure is worth a few thousand to me personally but some here are that sensitive.

Either way I'm stoked for you. Both choices are cream of the crop. Sounds like another win for Team BGD. :cool2:

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@flyingpig I just personally thought there was a tiny bit more brilliance from the center of the signature series. However this could very well just be from a slightly different camera angle or all in my head also.
After analyzing the ASET and Ideal Scope it appears there is more direct lighting in the center of the arrows. With the Ideal Scope being more vivid and no light leakage from the center of the arrows. I have been trying to scrutinize the both of them a little bit, to the point where I believe you are reassuring me I have gone overboard.

All in all, I am basically splitting hairs here. And in no way saying either is a poor diamond. That being said, I still would like to try and make the best decision as possible.
Whatever difference you see in these photos should be due to the lighting conditions and camera setups. This is especially true for the bolded statement about the idealscope images and leakage. This has to do with the intensity of backlighting. Neither stone has leakage. Some white in the middle is perfectly normal.

Rpb

Shiny_Rock
From what I understand, the upgrade policies ( if you decide to upgrade in future) are different for black and signature lines, if I were in your shoes I would go with the best upgrade policy as both diamonds are beautiful.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote for the G. Both are beautiful, but I don’t care for a stone with a black inclusin, especially on the table.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From what I understand, the upgrade policies ( if you decide to upgrade in future) are different for black and signature lines, if I were in your shoes I would go with the best upgrade policy as both diamonds are beautiful.

I don't recall seeing a different upgrade policy for the Black series. My understanding is spend $1 and upgrade 2 of the following 3: clarity, cut or carat and get full credit towards the new stone.

The exception being if you upgrade to a Blue (his fluor collection) then only 95% of the value applies.

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/policies#upgr-page-cont

But again, knowledge is power. Please have Lesley confirm. If different than above, please let us know also.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't recall seeing a different upgrade policy for the Black series. My understanding is spend $1 and upgrade 2 of the following 3: clarity, cut or carat and get full credit towards the new stone.

The exception being if you upgrade to a Blue (his fluor collection) then only 95% of the value applies.

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/policies#upgr-page-cont

But again, knowledge is power. Please have Lesley confirm. If different than above, please let us know also.

I don’t believe the bolded is true and I think that they changed the policy some time ago. Details here: https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/need-help-faq

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like them both, but I think I prefer the G.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
This makes more sense, as I don't recall seeing the 95% value on the Blue line before. I owe Lesley a call anyhow and will double check when I visit with her.

Just found this. There when u click on policies for any blue diamond range

7A92F933-7C73-4EBE-85A4-EB04B301F005.jpeg

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is on the FAG page, but it is really irrelevant in OPs case, because they are not looking at diamonds from the Blue line.
2EBFBBEE-3FA4-40E2-B7C8-C6A3FB931519.jpeg

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just found this. There when u click on policies for any blue diamond range

7A92F933-7C73-4EBE-85A4-EB04B301F005.jpeg

Yes, that is the page to the first link I posted when I initially responded. It appears they have a conflict on their website, as the page @SimoneDi definitely reads different.

This is on the FAG page, but it is really irrelevant in OPs case, because they are not looking at diamonds from the Blue line.
2EBFBBEE-3FA4-40E2-B7C8-C6A3FB931519.jpeg

Agree. BGD has conflicting information and needs to clarify and ensure the data matches at both locations.

If what I think is the older version (one I linked and @icy_jade screen captured) happens to apply I took the wording as "when upgrading TO a BGD Blue..." to mean if a Signature or Black buyer happens to upgrade TO a Blue then only 95% of the value applies. It doesn't say that if you are buying Blue that 95% of the value applies to a future upgrade.

Really, I think the version you last posted and screen captured has to be correct as it has all their brands (Signature, Black, Blue, Cape, etc). IMO, the site just needs updated.

Regardless of the variation in wording, I think Brian and Lesley are responsible and would make sure they treated you honestly and with respect in the upgrade process so you remained a happy BGD customer for life.

Amanda_Diane

Rough_Rock
Hi, I was wondering what diamond you picked? And how did it turn out? I am currently looking at a BGD "G" color cushion. I was wondering if you could tell me if you or your girlfriend notice any color in the diamond or outer edges of it?

thanks so much!
amanda

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results