shape
carat
color
clarity

DeBeers to close Diamond Promotion Service

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
These are the folks who have been promoting 'generic' diamonds in the US for decades. They have been the primary promoter of the diamond and diamond jewelry categories in the US media with their highly successful and well recognized 'a diamond is forever' slogan and promotions. They have been progressively pushing the cost of promotion onto the manufacturers and retailers over the last few years and this seems to be the next big step for the mining giant to get out of the consumer advertising business.

Full story here:

http://www.nationaljeweler.com/nj/diamonds/supply/article_detail?id=20838

slg47

Ideal_Rock
interesting, what effects do you think this will have? it seems like plenty of local stores advertise a lot (Shane Co, anyone?)

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
slg47|1292607762|2799613 said:
interesting, what effects do you think this will have? it seems like plenty of local stores advertise a lot (Shane Co, anyone?)
Shane, Tiffany, Jared, Zales and Kays are big national players and there are locals in every city as well as some big time internet players. Advertising is also being taken on by some of the manufacturers like Hearts on Fire, Solisfera, Leo and favorites around here like Infinity or Octavia just to name a couple. This is clearly the direction things are moving and it's expressly the DeBeers plan.

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting article. I knew DeBeers was behing the popularity of 3-stones and journey diamonds, but did not know that they were also behind Everlon, but it's not surprising given the popularity and the wide availability of Everlons. Doesn't sound like they plan to do another Everlon type of marketing. I wonder if the diamond industry will try to fill that void as I don't see how individual retailers marketing their own product have really raised the popularity and demand to the level that 3-stones/journey/knots have.

TakingthePlunge

Rough_Rock
Ugg. So i did some surfing on their forever mark diamond and it seems quite odd. From what I can tell they insrcibe it in the center of the diamond where you would see it through the loupe when the stone is face up. In addition it seems the cut standards are just to be "very good" or higher which is graded by their own lab not an independant like gia or ags. Certainly not a branded cut I would ever look into. They certainly do romance the crap out of it in classic debeers style though.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DeBeers' promotion was successful.
It made people who were not rich consider, want, and buy diamonds.

Now that moms are doing DeDeers' work for them by passing the "tradition" down to their daughters (and I'm even selecting the term "tradition") their work is finished.
Mission accomplished.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results