shape
carat
color
clarity

Dealing with smoking neighbors

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
My DH & I moved to a new apartment about 6 months ago. It's a duplex in NYC & we're very fortunate to have a small private outdoor space off the master bedroom. When we rented the place, our little yard was a bit of a dream come true, but we've had a lot of issues with our neighbors. The ground floor of the building next door houses a small office & also has a private courtyard right next to ours. The workers in this space are heavy smokers & take frequent smoke breaks in their courtyard. Whenever this happens, it fills our courtyard with secondhand smoke to the extent that we have to run inside & shut the door. Even worse, if we have any windows open in our apartment (upstairs or downstairs), our entire apartment becomes flooded with smoke. This is irritating enough to DH & I, but we're expecting a baby any day now & are worried about the health implications of dealing with secondhand smoke for all of us, especially the babe.

NYC had a lot of regulations about smoking, but I don't think this space would be covered.

Short of moving, does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with the situation? I'm at a loss.

Thanks for your thoughts.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh, I am sorry you are dealing with this health and quality of life issue. I think you need to consult with the managing agent of the co-op(s) on how to proceed.

Where we live we have rules where the service people for example cannot smoke (on their breaks) within a certain distance of the building. Not sure how you can manage office and other buildings next door and such but you need to find out and I think the managing agent is a good first step.

I wish I knew more and when my dh comes home I will see if he has any clue. Each building has their own rules and regulations (as our building made ours so workmen cannot smoke within a certain distance) but there must be NYC regulations concerning this.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd say you're SOL and have to move. Outdoors except city parks is not covered by non smoking rules. We have heavy smokers next door to us so I understand and sympathize with your problem. I wish our neighbors would finally cough out their lungs as they unsuccessfully attempt to do so every morning at 5am.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bright, have you tried talking to the business owner? I think if this was a resident that conversation could be more difficult. But maybe a business owner is more likely to oblige your request? Especially if the owner isn’t one of the smokers? Heck, can you tell them you’re allergic?

I feel your pain. I have an unusually strong aversion to the smell of cigarettes.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Heavy duty industrial fan that points away from your windows, doors, patio and blows their smoke back at them (or away from you).

I sympathize with you. I have to run around the house and close all windows when our neighbors have their gardeners use leaf blowers. Very polluting to the air and bad for your lungs. The particulates last for hours.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also say a good window fan with an "exhaust" option may be a good way to get your point across or just keep it out of your apartment. My first apartment didn't have a kitchen exhaust (so illegal) so I installed one of these in the only kitchen window, it was the only way I could cook!

Best of luck!

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
Bright, I would talk to the business owner. Can you get an industrial strength air purifier too?

random_thought

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh, I'm dealing with this too and it drives me crazy because I love to have our windows open :((

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results