shape
carat
color
clarity

Dealer selling me a decent cut? 1.8 carat round cut

vantagesc

Rough_Rock
Hello all,
I decided to buy an engagement ring in the $15-18k range. Goals are best cut as possible, nearly colorless, and carat weight of around 1.5 to 1.9. Of course, we all want the best ring for the lowest possible price. ;-)

Local dealer found me what he thinks is a great stone, insisting it looks awesome in person, but I am not sure about the proportions:
- F color; 1.82 carats; SI1; eye clean; GIA triple x; medium (3%) faceted
- Table: 56%
- Crown angle: 35.5%
- Pavillion angle: 41.0%
- Depth: 61.8%

The concern is light leakage. Blue Nile has some rings with CA/PA closer to 34.5/ < 41, but finding one with good symmetry that is clean has been challenging. Also like the local dealer's settings quite a bit, so maybe I can ask him what else he has available.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
A bit steep/deep depending on what is in the averages as to how much.
But in this general area are some stones that while they fail the technical tests to some degree can look great to the eye in many light conditions.
Tiffany at one time sold a lot of diamonds in this general range.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello all,
I decided to buy an engagement ring in the $15-18k range. Goals are best cut as possible, nearly colorless, and carat weight of around 1.5 to 1.9. Of course, we all want the best ring for the lowest possible price. ;-)

Local dealer found me what he thinks is a great stone, insisting it looks awesome in person, but I am not sure about the proportions:
- F color; 1.82 carats; SI1; eye clean; GIA triple x; medium (3%) faceted
- Table: 56%
- Crown angle: 35.5%
- Pavillion angle: 41.0%
- Depth: 61.8%

The concern is light leakage. Blue Nile has some rings with CA/PA closer to 34.5/ < 41, but finding one with good symmetry that is clean has been challenging. Also like the local dealer's settings quite a bit, so maybe I can ask him what else he has available.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Do you have any pics or videos? Does this person have access to ASET/IS images? It's a bit steep/deep like Karl said, but has potential!

vantagesc

Rough_Rock
I will ask about ASET/IS. Here some stills from a few videos, will try to post the videos. Hard to find a still that looked directly down the barrel, but here's the best I could do. It does look pretty, I just not sure if I should bite or hold out for something better.

upload_2019-3-25_11-56-54.png
upload_2019-3-25_12-2-45.png

upload_2019-3-25_12-3-52.png

upload_2019-3-25_12-4-19.png

upload_2019-3-25_12-5-41.png

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I will ask about ASET/IS. Here some stills from a few videos, will try to post the videos. Hard to find a still that looked directly down the barrel, but here's the best I could do. It does look pretty, I just not sure if I should bite or hold out for something better.

upload_2019-3-25_11-56-54.png
upload_2019-3-25_12-2-45.png

upload_2019-3-25_12-3-52.png

upload_2019-3-25_12-4-19.png

upload_2019-3-25_12-5-41.png

Hmmm. It’s possible my eyes are deceiving me, but you can use your eyes to double check.

It looks to me like you can see through the diamond in a couple of spots .... do you agree? This could be a reflection, but it seems consistent in all the pics. If you can see through the diamond, that is light leakage. I would pass on this diamond based on that.

vantagesc

Rough_Rock
Yes, it did seem like it was possible to see through the diamond (from the video at least), though I don't know if that is normal when holding a diamond in the air like that vs. placing it on a surface.

I will have a discussion with the dealer, since it is a reputable one, and go into see it in person likely.

Last edited:

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, it did seem like it was possible to see through the diamond (from the video at least), though I don't know if that is normal when holding a diamond in the air like that vs. placing it on a surface.

I will have a discussion with the dealer, since it is a reputable one, and go into see it in person likely.

I hope it goes well ... sounds like this is a good thing for you to keep in mind then ... you should not be able to see through a modern round brilliant cut diamond :naughty:

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@vantagesc It looked better than I thought in the video that is linked on their site. The fastest way to find out is to ring/email B2C and ask them. They have a 30day return window with shipping included both ways if you want to have it sent. It is also nice that they have an upgrade policy if you need it.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results