shape
carat
color
clarity

Dealer says stones are in India.....good, bad, indifferent?

GeauxTiger

Rough_Rock
So I've requested idealscope and real images for two stones from B2C and have been told that they'll have to request them from the supplier in India. What's the story on sourcing from India and is this something I should be worried about in any way?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Dealer says stones are in India.....good, bad, indiffere

They have diamonds there. There is no need to worry.

lil2181

Rough_Rock

Hi,
I also had the same question. This is the response I got from one of the jewelry stores in NYC diamond district:

"Its not bad..its just not great. diamonds that are graded in India can be graded be more leniently than those graded in New York. Also diamonds from India and have patches of brown on them about this."

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

lil2181|1417732726|3795328 said:
Hi,
I also had the same question. This is the response I got from one of the jewelry stores in NYC diamond district:

"Its not bad..its just not great. diamonds that are graded in India can be graded be more leniently than those graded in New York. Also diamonds from India and have patches of brown on them about this."

The fact that the diamond is in India in no way means that it came from India or that it was in fact even graded in India. GIA is having issues with consistency due to training hundreds of new graders around the world. This is not problematic only to India, but it is so easy for a sour grapes retailer to claim it as fact, just as this retailer you talked to who is claiming that diamonds from India have patches of brown on them.

Garbage!

Many diamonds, from many locations can have brownish body color. I forget the exact line, but I believe all diamonds from H on down that have brownish body color will have that mentioned on their GIA certs. Someone who deals with these diamonds more frequently can correct me please if I am wrong.

If you go back into that retailer, please tell him he is full of prunes and needs to learn the facts prior to spouting garbage as if these lies he is spouting are gospel.

Even if it were true that diamonds graded in India are graded more softly, the fact that a diamond is currently in India does NOT mean that it was graded in India. Nor does the fact that you sent your diamond to LA, or NY mean that it was not graded in India. When there are too many diamonds to grade efficiently in one location of GIA they may send the overage to another location for grading.

One negative thing about diamonds being "stuck" in India is that many of the dealers there will not allow you to bring in a diamond and then send it back, so most of us will not bring in a diamond for you from India and allow you to return it to us. That can be a problem for someone just wanting a look.

Wink, who is cranky with vendors who feel they need to lie to make a sale.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

GeauxTiger|1417730235|3795317 said:
So I've requested idealscope and real images for two stones from B2C and have been told that they'll have to request them from the supplier in India. What's the story on sourcing from India and is this something I should be worried about in any way?

GeauxTiger,

B2C deals with suppliers all over the world, with diamonds on several continents. Our New York office provides customer care for clients in the US and, regardless of where in the world we find the diamond that best fits your needs, it will be brought to NY for full inspection and verification should you move forward. I hope this eases any worries and will be glad to answer any further questions.

Feel free to post in this thread or call us directly - we pride ourselves on outstanding customer satisfaction.

beyond4cs

Rough_Rock

GIA will indicate body hue for diamonds graded K and below.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

beyond4cs|1417740452|3795372 said:
GIA will indicate body hue for diamonds graded K and below.

Thank you for that information.

Wink

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results