shape
carat
color
clarity

Deal on a Lucida

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NewFoundLucida

Rough_Rock
Ok so I just got a Lucida Diamond for my soon to be fiance. Was wondering if I got a good deal because I think I did. Anyways throw out some rough estimates of what you think the diamond would fetch

Color - G
Clarity - VVS2
Polish - Good
Symmetry- Very Good
Carat - 1.69

Thanks!
B

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/24/2009 5:01:41 PM
Author:NewFoundLucida
Ok so I just got a Lucida Diamond for my soon to be fiance. Was wondering if I got a good deal because I think I did. Anyways throw out some rough estimates of what you think the diamond would fetch

Color - G
Clarity - VVS2
Polish - Good
Symmetry- Very Good
Carat - 1.69

Thanks!
B
Hi B,

Where did you purchase it from? That makes a difference on pricing especially if it was a private deal or secondary market sale.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
the lucida is a stone cut just for Tiffany''s so there really isn''t a way to compare apples to apples. also, you can''t really judge a fancy shape based on the numbers alone. You can get a rough idea if you got a good deal based on what Tiffany would charge for the ring today and whether it''s a good deal or not is going to be subjective. some will place value in the Tiffany branding and others won''t. But, if you paid what you feel is fair and it''s exactly what you wanted than I''d say you''re a smart shopper!

NewFoundLucida

Rough_Rock
I bought it from a local jeweler that I was referred to by a close friend, they have been in business around here for over 80 years so I felt they were a good source to trust. I understand since it wasn''t bought from Tiffany''s that I got part of the deal right there (second hand). Just wondering if others had input on what specific lucida cut stones have gone for.

B

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
you can call Tiff''s and ask them to tell you how much a 1.6-1.7 carat G, VVS2 lucida would be. they will tell you over the phone.

NewFoundLucida

Rough_Rock
I would think an over the phoen quote directly from Tiffany''s would be a little over the top versus dealing one down or buying second hand. I was told it would appraise for around 18K.

B

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
There aren''t a lot of Lucida experts around here so I wouldn''t count on a lot of responses. PS vendor Signed Pieces occasionally has one in that size but I don''t recall what it went for. Currently there is a 2ct G VVS1 on Ebay with an asking price of 33K .... click here If you are familiar with Ebay you can search "completed items" to see what other Lucida rings sold for. That''s probably the best way to find out the going prices for used Lucidas. Good luck!

NewFoundLucida

Rough_Rock
That link does help since its close in size, however I did not buy the setting so that price is obviously a good bit higher because its a combination of tiffany setting and diamond. I''m guessing comparison to similar Brilliant or Cushion cut diamonds wouldn''t be a fair comparison?

B

melz

Shiny_Rock
I remember that signed pieces ring it was February-ish. I think it was around $16 for 1.5 ct but I dont remember the specs at all.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2009 3:55:03 PM
Author: NewFoundLucida
That link does help since its close in size, however I did not buy the setting so that price is obviously a good bit higher because its a combination of tiffany setting and diamond. I''m guessing comparison to similar Brilliant or Cushion cut diamonds wouldn''t be a fair comparison?

B

you can enter the specs on the home page for pricing of the similar shapes. I did a quick search on a radiant and nothing came up. I did it again with a cushion and the prices ranged between 9 and 11K. so that is a ballpark number. i''m not sure if the Lucida retains a higher value once it''s removed from the setting since an entire tiffany ring is where the value is but an appraiser can easily answer that for you.

NewFoundLucida

Rough_Rock
From what I saw in comparing cushions that I saw at the two different jewelers I visited and from a comparison on BlueNile.com I figured the range was more in the 11K to 15K range versus 9K-11K. What site were you using?

B

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
$10K is roughly 30 back, $15K is roughly list. For a "new" stone from a dealer that''s the approximate range I think you''d be looking at, i.e. for a "new" stone purchase. Once you take a Lucida stone out of the Lucida setting, I doubt there''s any premium, just an interesting story
1.gif

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/26/2009 8:15:17 AM
From what I saw in comparing cushions that I saw at the two different jewelers I visited and from a comparison on BlueNile.com I figured the range was more in the 11K to 15K range versus 9K-11K. What site were you using?

B

When I did it I got the 11-15k range also with the more costly stones being a slight bit larger (in the 1.7X range).

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/26/2009 8:15:17 AM

B

there is a diamond search on the home page of Pricescope. I entered a search for a 1.6-1.8 G VVS2 cushion. here is a search from today with stones 11-13K, but were all a touch bigger than your stone.

todaysearchcushion.png

NewFoundLucida

Rough_Rock
I''m assuming those are all online vendors and with myself being a bit oldschool I didn''t want to buy anything online. For this kind of purchase like a house it was something I had to be able to see first before I bit the bullett. I figure the online retailers are going to be a bit cheaper than a brick and mortar store because of lower overhead and most likely higher volume. So those prices seem about right compared to what I got.

Jj08

Rough_Rock
Well if you got it for about the same as listed in the prior post, you think you got a good deal and your happy with your purchase, there isn''t much more you could ask for! Good luck with the proposal! It''ll be awesome!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/26/2009 10:27:18 AM
I''m assuming those are all online vendors and with myself being a bit oldschool I didn''t want to buy anything online. For this kind of purchase like a house it was something I had to be able to see first before I bit the bullett. I figure the online retailers are going to be a bit cheaper than a brick and mortar store because of lower overhead and most likely higher volume. So those prices seem about right compared to what I got.

Union Diamond is a local store and they showed up in the search. many of the Pricescope vendors have an online presence but are family owned stores that have been in business for years. Pearlmans, Goodoldgold, Winfields, NiceIce etc. So, when you are doing a PS search it''s not just "online" discount pricing.

Bottom line though, if you feel you got a good deal and are happy with your purchase, sit back and just enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results