shape
carat
color
clarity

Dead spot in ACA

Caly27

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

My upgrade just arrived, and I love it already. It has great sparkle in most situations. But I’ve noticed that it goes dead in the center when tilted. This never happened with my old stone so I’m wondering what’s up. I attached a picture that seems to capture the effect.

6438A466-CC4E-4C20-B1AD-A5F49BEF8936.jpeg

Attachments

• 17BECF71-40CB-4E59-8174-9E8EF87EFE9D.jpeg
    17BECF71-40CB-4E59-8174-9E8EF87EFE9D.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 87

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ooh! Congrats! The pros will be along to comment, but until then—please post more pictures!! The setting looks gorgeous... those prongs! :love:

Caly27

Rough_Rock
Ooh! Congrats! The pros will be along to comment, but until then—please post more pictures!! The setting looks gorgeous... those prongs! :love:

Thanks! I got it as a temporary setting because I’m planning on going bigger in the near future. But for under $250, I’m pretty impressed with it.

And I will be sure to post more photos in smtb once I redo my nails. (They’re a mess.)

Caly27

Rough_Rock
Obstruction from your head and/or the camera

I definitely notice it without the camera, but I’ll try strolling around tomorrow and looking to see if it changes with angles. (And it’ll give me an excuse to stare at it some more.)

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I definitely notice it without the camera, but I’ll try strolling around tomorrow and looking to see if it changes with angles. (And it’ll give me an excuse to stare at it some more.)

I think I read somewhere on PS that this darkness in the center is something that only happens with well cut diamonds - due to lighting - and that poorly cut diamonds look more flat white at all angles.

?

tagafabo

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

My upgrade just arrived, and I love it already. It has great sparkle in most situations. But I’ve noticed that it goes dead in the center when tilted. This never happened with my old stone so I’m wondering what’s up. I attached a picture that seems to capture the effect.

Caly27 Your ring is beautiful! I am so glad you asked this question as I have the same issue with my ACA. Following ...

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
Dark colours reflecting back out/obstruction. Can be from your head, camera, clothes etc.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Dark colours reflecting back out/obstruction. Can be from your head, camera, clothes etc.

Yes but I think that doesn’t explain why her old diamond didn’t have the same issue?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The thread on BGB stones that has come up in the Related Threads box under the first post in this thread may be useful!

(Phone is refusing to copy and paste, grrr.)

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think your diamond looks stunning!! What’s your thoughts about “I’’ color ??

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
btw a car with a black interior does not do good things for your diamond viewing pleasure.

Caly27

Rough_Rock
btw a car with a black interior does not do good things for your diamond viewing pleasure.

I’ll keep that in mind. This was taken in my house with a gray blanket over my lap. I think it must just be tied to the angle and what it’s pointed at. Generally, it’s beautiful.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
To expand a little:
Like everything with diamonds there are always trade offs.
Tight well cut RB diamond are more directional, meaning that they draw light from a smaller area around them to return to the your eyes.
This can lead to this happening a little more often, but you gain more overall brightness and balanced contrast in other lighting.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Before you look at a diamond, you need to look at what the diamond is looking.

Caly27

Rough_Rock
Comparison shot with my old ring:

56A94411-95BC-4E50-924D-C4271F088660.jpeg

B113A78D-288C-440C-99DC-FE9A39F34C4B.jpeg

Please pardon the nails. :oops2:

Attachments

• 0CB39607-74ED-4A9E-BD43-28DEDBC194AB.jpeg
    0CB39607-74ED-4A9E-BD43-28DEDBC194AB.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
See image.
I apologize in advance, I am not trying to insult your old diamond by calling it steep deep I am just stating a fact to explain what you are seeing.

compare.jpeg

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In the first photo the new diamond is pointed a little more to the left,
In the second photo the new diamond is tilted more towards you. Really for a proper comparison they should be parallel and close as possible. It's also much larger so you might be noticing the obstruction more.

@Karl_K I think maybe the old diamond is also not facing the camera perpendicular like the new one

Caly27

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I should have prefaced to say that I’m not really concerned about the spot that appears sometimes, it was more about the fun of seeing them side by side. I’ve tried to get a straight on photo of both but my phone will only focus in on one at a time unfortunately.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Karl_K I think maybe the old diamond is also not facing the camera perpendicular like the new one
A bit, but it is also steep deep to the point the arrows are not at an angle to obstruct they would be red in ASET.

Edit: sorry you were correct and I was wrong.

Last edited:

Caly27

Rough_Rock
See image.
I apologize in advance, I am not trying to insult your old diamond by calling it steep deep I am just stating a fact to explain what you are seeing.

compare.jpeg

No apology needed—I enjoy learning. I think part of it may be a bad photo on my end. (Can’t get a straight on photo of each at the same time, and I’ll admit that I haven’t given it a good scrub in awhile.) I’d love to learn more about my current one. I’ve really liked it and see the arrows regularly. I’ve attached the cert and the ASET my fiancé received when he purchased it. The ASET certainly isn’t on par with an ACA, but I thought it was pretty good for something that was a fair bit less expensive.
28579E43-2DBD-4824-8FAC-0F139584576C.jpeg
88EDD433-DF50-4627-9E14-5BE594EB8B71.jpeg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is a well cut diamond. Angles are good and ASET is good.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If that ASET is your original diamond then I have to eat a bit of crow for drawing a conclusion from a photo in unknown lighting,

Last edited:

Caly27

Rough_Rock
If that ASET is your original diamond then I have to eat a bit of crow for drawing a conclusion from a photo in unknown lighting,

It is for my original stone. The numbers below are for my new one. And it’s my fault for posting something with a bad angle and unclean stone. My apologies. I wasn’t really thinking in terms of cut comparison when I did it.
6A7BC608-CAF8-4D84-A9A2-0942C72272DC.jpeg

A35E8A5A-10CB-424A-AF75-224FC5580496.jpeg

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I think I read somewhere on PS that this darkness in the center is something that only happens with well cut diamonds - due to lighting
No, this is incorrect. The whole diamond can look dark under certain spot lighting with super-ideals, not just in the center.

But I’ve noticed that it goes dead in the center when tilted. This never happened with my old stone so I’m wondering what’s up.

You can find your answer here. You're seeing a bit of clustering causing an obstruction.
https://niceice.com/diamond-grading-101/obstruction-light-diamonds/

Jelly88

Rough_Rock
This is really interesting. Does anyone know if there are certain proportions outside of superideal that would less likely result in dead spots? Would 60/60 stones still look bright when tilted and not go dark?

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

It already bugs you, it would bother me as well. I would return and try again.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results