shape
carat
color
clarity

Day Care with High school

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Ladies and Gentleman. I am currently completing my MSW. I am doing a project on high schools who have onsite day care centers. Do you possibly have any in your area. If so, could you post the name of the High School so I can start the information gathering process? Google and University search has not been productive. Thanks for your assistance!

Sizzle.

ETA: you know that's SUPPOSED to be HIGH SCHOOLS WITH DAY CARE!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sizzle, you might want to check into North Hagerstown High School in Hagerstown, Maryland. I graduated from that school in 1996, and I believe there was a small daycare program that was just getting started at that time. I''m thinking maybe it''s bigger now? Might be worth checking into . . . good luck!
21.gif

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Sizzle, is your project focused only on American high schools? If not, I know of a few high schools in Dufferin-Peel county in Ontario, Canada who have day cares.

Here's the link: http://www.plasp.com/ccc-locations.asp

ETA: If you don't see Seconday in the name of the school (ie. Father Michael Goetz Secondary School vs. St. Gregory
Catholic School), the school is elementary.

PS: Good luck!

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! I am actually in the "planning" stages right now so I am open to exploring outside of the US as well. I really thought there would be more!

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, I don''t know if this would be helpful but you might want to consider contacting the Communications Department of various School Boards and ask for a list of their high schools that offer day-care.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I graduated from Groves high school in Birmingham MI. I also worked in their on-site daycare program called Wee-Care. It was a great program, i''m pretty sure it''s still there.

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I am really stunned to find out the lack of statistics on this subject. I located a few schools and programs, but not ONE keeps statistics on the total number of teen pregnancies in the school vs. the number of teen parents who graduate much less the number of teen parents using the program that graduate! How are they justifying their funding!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Look into Bernalillo High School. I graduated from there and my mom works there, and they have a really good daycare program...even though I sort of disagree with it. I believe that if you call them they have statistics for teen pregnancies, too, or they used to when I was there anyway. When I was still in school we usually had about 20 little ones in the daycare, and even more that stayed elsewhere.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Valencia High School, Placentia, CA.

My HS. There has been a day-care program there for as long as I can remember, so at least 10 years. However, I'm not sure if it is for the children of students.

Esperanza High School, Anaheim, CA. My sister's HS. I believe they do have a program for HS moms with children. It is probably not more than 5 years old.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://www.harlem122.org/education/staff/stafflist.php?sectiondetailid=68&category=146

They have had one for over 25 years.
Its not limited to students kids but is open to kids from the community.

"Parenting/Child Care: Junior and Senior students with an interest in childcare or teaching careers in Early Childhood/Elementary Education will find experiences suited to their needs in our labs. Students may participate in a preschool setting, in an elementary school, and in a child care center through courses based at Harlem High School."

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Even though the secondary school where I taught is now closed, there was a day care program for a couple of years. It was used by the Adult Education students for their young kids, but I don''t think any of our regular students'' children attended. We were a small school with fewer than 300 students so I''m certain we would have known whether there were any.

When the Day Care program ended the TMH (Trainable Mentally Handicapped) students came in with their own teachers. That worked extremely well with everyone interacting at times, and those who were interested in pursuing a career in that area were more than welcome to pop in during the day.

Good luck with your research!

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Sizzle, so what is your exact research question? There is a great deal of information about in-school childcare in the Commonwealth of Mass on the MassDOE website, but most of those facilities function for the children of teachers and the community, not necessarily for the offspring of students at all. Your second post threw me, what/if any correlation are you looking at for graduation rates? That is a hard one to track as students do not have to tell the school if they are pregnant, or why they are dropping out. If you let us know exactly what your question is, that would be more helpful in our providing of information. The key for any thesis is to define your research parameters clearly and quickly so you don''t get distracted by other interesting but extraneous information.

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
There is a school in New Haven, CT with (what I consider to be) a great mission. My grad school is very involved with the program. The school was founded with the intention of having teen moms graduate. Pregnant moms can transfer to the Polly T McCabe school where they continue high school studies plus parenting classes, exercise classes, counseling if needed, etc. I believe the school maxes out at about 50 students and students can remain there for a marking period after they give birth. They then return to a mainstream HS, but the moms tend to be very successful. Two articles I found from a brief search:

http://www.yale.edu/ynhti/curriculum/units/1985/8/85.08.03.x.html

http://www.womensenews.org/article.cfm/dyn/aid/3322/context/archive

Edited for a flurry of typos...

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve never heard of day care centers in high schools--I''d love to hear about what you find.

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/5/2008 10:40:54 PM
Author: Munchkin
There is a school in New Haven, CT with (what I consider to be) a great mission. My grad school is very involved with the program. The school was founded with the intention of having teen moms graduate. Pregnant moms can transfer to the Polly T McCabe school where they continue high school studies plus parenting classes, exercise classes, counseling if needed, etc. I believe the school maxes out at about 50 students and students can remain there for a marking period after they give birth. They then return to a mainstream HS, but the moms tend to be very successful. Two articles I found from a brief search:

http://www.yale.edu/ynhti/curriculum/units/1985/8/85.08.03.x.html

http://www.womensenews.org/article.cfm/dyn/aid/3322/context/archive

Edited for a flurry of typos...
Right now I am trying to determine if students who participate in our local program have a higher rate of graduation that the teen moms who don''t use those services. The goal of the program in the beginning was to increase/sustain graduation rates, but then no one keeps the data (CRAZY, right). I am trying to do a lit review, but have been having a hard time finding research on this topic. I might have to tweak it a little. I was trying to find out if there are other programs out there, if they offer other services to the teen parents etc. I have been contacting all of the schools mentioned here and what I found on my search, plus some stated educational boards. hopefully I have enough to proceed. The paper is for my MSW. I have a habis of collecting degrees. ha ha ha ha

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Skyline High School in Sammamish has one.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Right now I am trying to determine if students who participate in our local program have a higher rate of graduation that the teen moms who don't use those services. The goal of the program in the beginning was to increase/sustain graduation rates, but then no one keeps the data (CRAZY, right). I am trying to do a lit review, but have been having a hard time finding research on this topic. I might have to tweak it a little. I was trying to find out if there are other programs out there, if they offer other services to the teen parents etc. I have been contacting all of the schools mentioned here and what I found on my search, plus some stated educational boards. hopefully I have enough to proceed. The paper is for my MSW. I have a habis of collecting degrees. ha ha ha ha

Do you use google scholar? When I'm not using my university's search engine options, which can get confusing, google scholar is the best, for a lit review you know you need reviewed journal entries, not news items, so based on your parameters this is what popped up, a few interesting items
link I find that many times an article might not be dead on for me, but the bibliography is helpful. Hope that helps! I'm in the midst of my dissertation, but already have three masters under my belt so I feeeeeel ya on not finding info you need.

ETA: Nothing crazy at all about that lack of info. It is illegal to ask a girl if she is pregnant and students do not have to report why they drop out or stay in school, and usually its a mix of reasons. This is why the social sciences get knocked, (my husband is a scientist), we have a hard time quantifying human behavior. People are random.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results