shape
carat
color
clarity

David Klass vs IDJ custom settings?

MeganShannon11

Shiny_Rock
Which one would you choose for a custom setting on a budget. I'm looking to reset my cushion into a custom setting with pave (and possibly a halo) and most likely get a matching wedding band as well. Any thoughts on who is the best for custom and the best work for the money? Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are many, many rings done by David Klass by members here and there are plentiful pictures on his facebook page. I have a lot of respect for IDJ, but there are relatively few pictures available online of their custom work. For that reason, I would personally go with DK for custom between those two.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never worked with David Klass.
As for IDJ, I have seen a friend's princess cut with pave halo and band in person and it is beautiful, even over a year later.
This is not my friend's ring, but I was actually drooling over this IDJ creation last night:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/halo-heaven-w-round-brilliant-diamond-from-id-jewelry.212337/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/halo-heaven-w-round-brilliant-diamond-from-id-jewelry.212337/[/URL]

Both vendors have facebooks and instagrams chock full of photos. If I were you, I would talk to both vendors to get a feel for whether they "click" with you and your vision, and request quotes.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not worked with IDJ, but I can definitely recommmend David Klass. His work is high quality for a reasonable price. He is very nice to work with. He has made 5 rings for me :lol:

What I would do is look at lots of photos and ask them both for a quote.

sassy_pants

Rough_Rock
I just had a custom setting made by DK and I really couldn't be happier with how well it turned out. The craftsmanship is impeccable. I agree with the earlier posters who said to try talking to a few places to see who you think will be best to work with. I got 4 quotes, and definitely made my decision based on how well I thought those initial communications went. DK's quote was the least expensive, but he would have been my first choice regardless. He could (and should) charge more. I'm not sure why he doesn't. Two of the other three quotes I got were 2.5x his price. My MIL worked at a local, family-owned, non-chain jewelry store for years and thought I was kidding when I told her the price for the new setting, and even then she was assuming I had traded in my old (heavy platinum, over 10grams) setting as scrap, which I had not. It was returned to me when DK sent the new ring.
About communication, the emails I got from DK were always thorough and clearly answered all questions or issues I brought up. He also doesn't charge anything until the piece is totally complete, and will work on CADs without having your stone in hand, which made me very comfortable in starting down the custom road. Some of the other vendors require having your stone in possession the whole time, a deposit before any CAD work, and some even limit the number of rounds of revisions on the CADs. All of those conditions are understandable for a vendor to have in place, but also nice not to have them! I know DK is often recommended as a "budget" option on these boards, but I really think you get a lot for your money. He's really quick, too. After we finalized the CADs, my ring was done in around 3 weeks, and he sent updates the whole time. I didn't know how unusual that was until reading that recent thread about LAD communication issues, and people implying it was a faux pas to contact your designer and ask for updates more often than every six weeks. SIX WEEKS? I was extremely excited and impatient for details during my design period, but at best I held off maybe 48 hours to wait for a reply. Oops! Lucky for me, DK did not seem put off or annoyed by that, which I've learned is not always the case with other vendors.

Good luck with whoever you ultimately choose!

MeganShannon11

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for all the feedback! I do really love David Klass's style so if the quote works, I'll probably go with him! It's going to be a nervewracking for me (and mostly my husband) to ship my stone from Boston to LA but hopefully it will be worth it!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MeganShannon11|1462406429|4027385 said:
Thanks so much for all the feedback! I do really love David Klass's style so if the quote works, I'll probably go with him! It's going to be a nervewracking for me (and mostly my husband) to ship my stone from Boston to LA but hopefully it will be worth it!

I'm in the Boston area as well and have shipped many stones to David for him to set in custom settings. I have not had a problem just using regular priority mail but if you are really concerned, ship your stone registered mail where it will be signed for every step of the way. I think it takes a bit longer but may make you feel more secure.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I urge you to consider what your personal priorities are, and how you feel about various vendors' business practices (and where those feelings fall in terms of your priorities). I personally have a very strong, very visceral, very negative reaction to vendors copying other vendors' custom designs, and I know that those practices are part of the reason some artists are no longer comfortable with PSers posting CADs and process photos on this forum, so I cannot recommend David Klass.

There is no dearth of competent custom jewellers - what are you looking for, do you have inspiration photos that you can post here? Perhaps the style you want really lends itself to one establishment or another :))

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1462420672|4027452 said:
I urge you to consider what your personal priorities are, and how you feel about various vendors' business practices (and where those feelings fall in terms of your priorities). I personally have a very strong, very visceral, very negative reaction to vendors copying other vendors' custom designs, and I know that those practices are part of the reason some artists are no longer comfortable with PSers posting CADs and process photos on this forum, so I cannot recommend David Klass.

There is no dearth of competent custom jewellers - what are you looking for, do you have inspiration photos that you can post here? Perhaps the style you want really lends itself to one establishment or another :))

To respond to this....

My personal priorities are definitely of ethical behavior and fairness. Which is why, when a popular jeweler on these boards quoted me $22,300 to make me a 36" 18kt yg necklace with bezel set diamonds (ALL diamonds provided by me) and decorative 'personal touches' - and then David Klass quoted me less than 15% of that, it seemed like a much more ethical option. Those excessive sorts of quotes are, in essence, unethical and immoral, in my opinion. David, with whom I have done a truck load of business, is the most ethical jeweler with whom I have ever worked, and I take significant offense at anyone suggesting otherwise.

As for copying other jewelers' designs - all design is derivative. Jewelers reproduce elements of the Empire State Building as ring settings - does it make them immoral? For all those jewelers who make reproductions of the Statue of Liberty as charms - are they unethical? The pre-Raphaelite painters all copied each other - and some used the same models; were they a school of art, or cheats? I had BGD make me a pair of earrings which I posted in this forum that a number of people commented reminded them of a certain jewelry designer well known on these boards. Does that make me a copier of hers? Or did she copy someone else's design (and I could name names here, but I'm making a point, not conducting a witch hunt)?

When David Klass remakes settings at no charge for customers who have simply changed their minds - despite approving CADs - does that make him a moral man or just a sucker? My position is, as stated, that he is the most ethical - and generous - jeweler I have ever encountered, and his prices and level of service reflect that.

The laws governing the copying of designs are fuzzy at best. The whole '10% original' or '20% original' rule of thumb is not a legal statute. Copying is in the eye of the beholder - but I can tell you this much. If CVB designs, for example, made a ring, and DK remade the same ring, I'd be able to tell who had made which. Does that not mean their designs are inherently individual? And if, as you have stated in a previous post on a different thread, Yssie, one 'gets what one pays for' (a comment you made in response to David's prices being less than many other jewelers), then you, too, should be able to tell the difference. If you can't, then clearly you don't get what you pay for. Some jewelers are simply good - and not exorbitant. But if you CAN tell the difference, then my 'personal priorities' would suggest that those designs are sufficiently individual to not infringe copyright.

I'm not going to start dragging out photos - as I'm sure I know the pieces to which you refer. But I AM going to suggest that people who use DK as their jeweler may well be searching for a good price, while not compromising quality willy-nilly, nor throwing their 'personal priorities' to the wind.

MeganShannon11 - I know both the jewelers you asked about and have also done business more than once with both. Both are good. But of the two - David Klass, hands down.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-blop|1462481184|4027804 said:

To respond to this....

My personal priorities are definitely of ethical behavior and fairness. Which is why, when a popular jeweler on these boards quoted me $22,300 to make me a 36" 18kt yg necklace with bezel set diamonds (ALL diamonds provided by me) and decorative 'personal touches' - and then David Klass quoted me less than 15% of that, it seemed like a much more ethical option. Those excessive sorts of quotes are, in essence, unethical and immoral, in my opinion. David, with whom I have done a truck load of business, is the most ethical jeweler with whom I have ever worked, and I take significant offense at anyone suggesting otherwise.

As for copying other jewelers' designs - all design is derivative. Jewelers reproduce elements of the Empire State Building as ring settings - does it make them immoral? For all those jewelers who make reproductions of the Statue of Liberty as charms - are they unethical? The pre-Raphaelite painters all copied each other - and some used the same models; were they a school of art, or cheats? I had BGD make me a pair of earrings which I posted in this forum that a number of people commented reminded them of a certain jewelry designer well known on these boards. Does that make me a copier of hers? Or did she copy someone else's design (and I could name names here, but I'm making a point, not conducting a witch hunt)?

When David Klass remakes settings at no charge for customers who have simply changed their minds - despite approving CADs - does that make him a moral man or just a sucker? My position is, as stated, that he is the most ethical - and generous - jeweler I have ever encountered, and his prices and level of service reflect that.

The laws governing the copying of designs are fuzzy at best. The whole '10% original' or '20% original' rule of thumb is not a legal statute. Copying is in the eye of the beholder - but I can tell you this much. If CVB designs, for example, made a ring, and DK remade the same ring, I'd be able to tell who had made which. Does that not mean their designs are inherently individual? And if, as you have stated in a previous post on a different thread, Yssie, one 'gets what one pays for' (a comment you made in response to David's prices being less than many other jewelers), then you, too, should be able to tell the difference. If you can't, then clearly you don't get what you pay for. Some jewelers are simply good - and not exorbitant. But if you CAN tell the difference, then my 'personal priorities' would suggest that those designs are sufficiently individual to not infringe copyright.

I'm not going to start dragging out photos - as I'm sure I know the pieces to which you refer. But I AM going to suggest that people who use DK as their jeweler may well be searching for a good price, while not compromising quality willy-nilly, nor throwing their 'personal priorities' to the wind.

MeganShannon11 - I know both the jewelers you asked about and have also done business more than once with both. Both are good. But of the two - David Klass, hands down.

Your argument is fundamentally flawed because it ignores the obvious: PS is a public venue.

Yes, I'm confident I can tell the difference between Klass' workmanship and Erika Winters' or Mike Robinson's or Burdeen's. The problem arises when people are unaware that the copy IS in fact a copy. We've seen this before, on this very forum - new PSers not realising that some of Klass' pieces in particular aren't original designs. And if PSers can be mistaken, certainly a much larger number of non-PSers will make this same incorrect assumption.

What does this mean? It means that the original designer does not get credit for his/her work. Instead, the copier gets undeserved credit and acclaim, which boost reputation that in turn leads to more acclaim and business. All artists hold their IP dear for exactly this reason, and in my opinion it's a philosophy that should be respected regardless of the letter of the law.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1462494347|4027874 said:

To respond to this....

Your argument is fundamentally flawed because it ignores the obvious: PS is a public venue.

Yes, I'm confident I can tell the difference between Klass' workmanship and Erika Winters' or Mike Robinson's or Burdeen's. The problem arises when people are unaware that the copy IS in fact a copy. We've seen this before, on this very forum - new PSers not realising that some of Klass' pieces in particular aren't original designs. And if PSers can be mistaken, certainly a much larger number of non-PSers will make this same incorrect assumption.

What does this mean? It means that the original designer does not get credit for his/her work. Instead, the copier gets undeserved credit and acclaim, which boost reputation that in turn leads to more acclaim and business. All artists hold their IP dear for exactly this reason, and in my opinion it's a philosophy that should be respected regardless of the letter of the law.

'Fundamentally flawed' - 'ignoring the obvious' - no. Convenient to say - but an unconvincing response.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium

There is no dearth of competent custom jewellers - what are you looking for, do you have inspiration photos that you can post here? Perhaps the style you want really lends itself to one establishment or another :))[/q

Yessie can you please clarify your argument? I'm not trying to be combative but I'm honestly confused. You don't make this claim about other jewelers yet here on PS there seems to be three pave masters that all make an almost identical halo. Also, if I recall from your previous threads, you had a couple? Versions of the same 5 stone ring made by a couple of different jewelers. Weren't you enabling the other jeweler to steal the first jeweler's design? Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or to clarify your position.

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
OP, for what it's worth, I had a very positive experience working with David Klass on my custom ring. It took several rounds of CADs to get it exactly right, but he took it all in stride and executed the final CADs flawlessly. If going with DK, I would just allow for plenty of time for completion of the ring, as it can take a few days between emails at times. I'm on my second project with him, and I find his pricing to be very reasonable, as well.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nala, I hope this clarifies my position as you had requested:
You are indeed mistaken: The fivestone design was mine, drawn on paper by me. I did not take the first vendor's IP to another jeweller, I took the project to another vendor to see it brought to fruition the way I had envisioned.

1. Editing to remove specifics - which makes it difficult to make an argument, but... I will say that in my strong opinion there IS sharing of ideas - this is how art is borne. There IS also infringement, and a knockoff is a knockoff. I know that I draw that line more thickly and more conservatively than most on here. There are some who feel the classic 6prong design and one of RDG's creations both belong in the same basket as fare for comparison, and that argument is pointless for me personally to engage because... well, we've been there and had it already, and our positions are simply chasms apart!
2 There is also the reality that small outfits need the advertising and monetary compensation more than the very large houses, and at the same time a small outfit is hurt much, much more by another vendor marketing that boutique's ideas as his own.
2. Many vendors have copied another vendor's one of a kind work once, maybe twice. Very few make a persistent habit of it. It is unfortunate because Klass' custom work is beautiful.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Caveat emptor.

I've had many, many custom jewels made for me. 90% of the experiences were wretched and those were all "name" jewelers here on PS.

(For the PS people who think this is the client's fault--->What kind of client am I? I don't change my mind once design specifics/CADs are approved. I'm not short on funds and I have no problem handing the funds over as the project progresses. I don't require contact or hand holding yet I respond within hours of email/text/phone call from jeweler when they want to talk to me. I understand jewelry fabrication and I know what's "hard," or challenging for a jeweler; I've made my own jewelry and done a pretty good job of it. I took the GIA coursework on diamonds and colored stones so I'm not unknowledgeable about stones and their properties. I've visited colored gemstone mines, I go to Tucson every year and talk to people from Bill Larson on down the line. I see stones the world over, their price points, etc. I know more about colored stones than most jewelers/jewelry shop staff.)

Now on to you. You say you have a budget but I cannot tell if you mean "budget" to describe a ceiling to the amount of money you can/will devote to the setting OR you need a low cost setting. The setting you described is not budget in terms of being low cost, pave is not cheap and requires expert workmanship.

If it would matter to you to be overcharged many times over, or to get a setting you are disappointed in, then slow down and take your time with this. If you want to have the diamond set immediately, have it put in a Stuller setting, for example, while you locate the right jeweler to give you your dream setting at your budget. Stuller has a website, give it a look. There are several 3+ ct diamonds here on PS that look gorgeous in their Stuller settings.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

To respond to this....

Well said, Mrs Blop! :appl:

MeganShannon11

Shiny_Rock
Wow, this thread is getting intense. To clarify, when I stated that I had a budget, I meant that we have about $2,000 to spend on a new setting. My original rings are also pave, so I know that you do have to be somewhat careful with them and I am. I was considering a halo, but definitely want something that is of a reasonable, durable quality. I wasn't sure if a halo was in our budget, but with David Klass, it seems to be. I don't know the whole history of the copies of designs, etc. I was just trying to get a general feeling about who does better custom work between DK and IDJ. I haven't seen many pictures of their custom work online which is why I was curious. Thanks so much to those who gave feedback!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MeganShannon11|1462585059|4028368 said:
Wow, this thread is getting intense. To clarify, when I stated that I had a budget, I meant that we have about $2,000 to spend on a new setting. My original rings are also pave, so I know that you do have to be somewhat careful with them and I am. I was considering a halo, but definitely want something that is of a reasonable, durable quality. I wasn't sure if a halo was in our budget, but with David Klass, it seems to be. I don't know the whole history of the copies of designs, etc. I was just trying to get a general feeling about who does better custom work between DK and IDJ. I haven't seen many pictures of their custom work online which is why I was curious. Thanks so much to those who gave feedback!

Don't let some of the passionate responses here about artistry or counterfeiting deter you from asking for help. You asked a question and you deserved an answer without editorializing. But if any of the more exhuberant comments strike a chord with you then by all means, listen to your heart. I think most of the answers left their personal politics out, so just ignore those who have gone off track if you choose and check out the work of both vendors and make your choice based on the comments of quality and cost of workmanship. That's the best advice I can give.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Don't worry, David Klass does excellent, quality work. He will not give you a bad product.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi MeganShannon11 :wavey:

One thing about IDJ is that they work with many benches based on the type of jewelry you want. That's a plus for me. HOWEVER, since you have now provided your budget and dropped the "H" word - "halo" - I'd like to throw another PS vendor into the mix for your consideration:

With your budget of $2,000 and wanting a halo, I would highly recommend Brilliantly Engaged. If you search for Brilliantly Engaged (BE) or their former name Engagement Rings Direct (ERD), you will see LOTS of halos on Pricescope!

My avatar is the "celine" modified to be two toned Platinum + yellow gold and double bezeled. Included in the price are CADs specifically for your stone.

http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/forever-yours-pcid-18.html

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1462587146|4028385 said:

Don't worry, David Klass does excellent, quality work. He will not give you a bad product.

And if DK does give you a bad product, as can happen with any vendor due to breakdown in quality control etc., at least in my own instance DK took the setting back (carefully removing and returning my stone) and gave me a full refund.

Because it was my first experience with DK, and a quality piece was not delivered, personally I wouldn't consider him for a future project myself, but based on the many PS threads it is clear many PSers have been very pleased with their pieces crafted by DK.

FWIW, as much as budget and setting design affect vendor choice, so too should you consider the customer service polices. I do think DK and BE do more custom work, but depending on the setting I wouldn't count IDJ out either. Perhaps contact all 3 of them with the specs of your stone and your setting choice, and see what kind of responses/quotes you receive.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here's a link to a thread on DK's work:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-david-klass-bling.196654/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-david-klass-bling.196654/[/URL]

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results